SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without doubt, this is the most famous Singapore building in the world.

Built in 1887, this grand Old Lady of the East is one the world's last great 19th century hotels. The hotel is a favourite retreat of writers and movie stars and home of the Singapore Sling, a celebrated cocktail. Somerset Maugham, Rudyard Kipling, Joseph Conrad and Charlie Chaplin were among its most illustrious guests.

It expanded during its first few decades under the Armenian Sarkies brothers, culminating in the opening of the main building designed by R A J Bidwell of Swan & Maclaren, in 1899.

By the 1920s, Raffles Hotel was already known as the historic hotel of Singapore. It survived through tough times, including the death of the last Sarkies brother, Arshak, in 1931, bankruptcy proceedings in 1933 triggered by the Great Depression, the Japanese Occupation when it was renamed Syonan Ryokan (Light of the South Hotel) and modernization in the 1950s.

An extensive SGD 160 million face-lift has given the hotel back its old, unique charm and majesty. This all-suite hotel is adjoined by a brand new arcade built in the same colonial style. It includes a museum featuring memorabilia from a bygone era, a Victorian-style playhouse named Jubilee Hall, 70 retail shops featuring famous brands like Tiffany's and Louis Vuitton as well boutiques and specialty stores from the region.

·
Registered
11,786 Posts
Come to think of it...we hardly have our own pictures of the hotel yet? Can we actually walk in btw?

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes we can! There are huge public spaces especially along the Bras Bash side of the building and shops and cafes open to the public. The hotel itself is a tourist attraction, so it attracts visitors.

and szehoong still 'owes' us a night pic he took of it;)

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Originally posted by huaiwei

Come to think of it...we hardly have our own pictures of the hotel yet? Can we actually walk in btw?
yes of course :) how else would you umm like watch performances or eat or shop there? well the shopping bit only applies if you have 10000 to blow on each shopping trip :/

my little contribution to this thread :) nothing spectacular but just some pics...

it's really dark because these were taken at like between 2-3 am...

this is taken at a more normal time

·
Registered
11,786 Posts
icic....my impression of it was that its too posh for "normal people" to enter! :D

I only remember going into its premises twice...ocne to the performance venue at the back, and a second time to the bar. ;)

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gorgeous shots heirloom! The night pics are so classy and reserved. What part of the building is this taken from?

Originally posted by huaiwei

I only remember going into its premises twice...ocne to the performance venue at the back, and a second time to the bar. ;)
Yup I been to the bar once cos we had a friend visiting Singapore and he just had to try the famous Singapore Sling. Its really relaxing to take your time sipping it on the verandah. You may as well take your time cos I remembered it was about $20 for a drink! And you can purchase a fancy glass too:cheers:

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
ummm i think that would be below the foyer of jubilee hall... i was in the car :colgate: cars are best :eek:kay:

hehe the first two night pics look a little like a haunted mansion too! in the first pic if you look closely you could see my sitting at the steps of the entrance waiting for a cab :lol:

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG..so who took that pic? :eek:

and I didnt know the hotel is divided into halls. What are the others called?

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
i took lar... i know we would never get a cab (we eventually got one after we left raffles hotel, 1 and a half hours after trying to get a cab from lau pasat.. ) so i just went out to the road and took the pic lor..

jubilee hall is the theatre in raffles hotel... i dont know how raffles hotel is divided...

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Walk all the way from Lau Pa Sat to raffles Hotel to get a cab?!
:rofl:

btw isnt it dead easy to get cabs at 3 am in that area?

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
it was new year's eve / day :D

we walked from lau pa sat to ummm somewhere beyond raffles hotel... shaw tower? not the orchard one.. i dont know what you call it.. the blue three sided building i think... we waited for a long time at the junction of ummm the junction at the exchange.. and like 50 cabs passed by a minute but all booked / not available :rant:

·
Melbourne Zealot
1,300 Posts
What is interesting is that the Raffles is not that old, even amongst other Victorian-era buildings/mansions in Asia, and not even that significant architecturally. In Singapore, there are other grander buildings, like the old GPO (now Fullerton), Victoria Theatre, City Hall and Supreme Court. My impression of it (and what was the Palm Court) was not that awe-inspiring. But I lurve the subcontinent-style fans in the Long Room (i can't remember - is that what it's called?) bar.

But I tell you what makes the Raffles REALLY special: it's the Raffles Hotel management. They're damn good.

Q: how does the Raffles compare in age with the other "grand old dames" of the Victorian era around Asia? It seems that almost every city in SEA and east asia for that matter has a Victorian-era "grand old dame". eg:
Eastern & Oriental, Penang
The Oriental, Bangkok
The Metropole, Hanoi
The Peninsula, Hong Kong
and even...
The Windsor, Melbourne! I'm sure the Indian cities all have their "grand old dames" too!

·
Banned
14,132 Posts
This is the first time I chime in here. As Raffi knows, I've been a total fan of the Fullerton so far--there simply was no finer hotel in Singapore for me. :)

When I saw the exterior of the Raffles, I said to myself, ho-hum. But then I saw the interior!!!! I just absolutely fell in love with those outdoor corridors, the openness and beauty of the place! :cool:

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Indeed WH. I really recall how charmed you were by the Fullerton. I myself must admit that it looks more stunning with its massive pillars, but then it wasnt always a hotel and was only converted in year 2000.:)

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
gosh the charm of raffles hotel suddenly hit me! i imagine myself dressed in very casual beachy lv strolling along the charmingly non-airconditioned corridors (non air condition can be charming, depending on context haha) with the red tiled floors... mmmm so nice.. then walk down to the rather seedy looking back alley with the very shoddy chicken rice stall for lunch, then cross over onto the parallel purvis street and get myself a $20000 sofa at Cream, then um... maybe shopping break at one of the restaurants on the street or a cream puff from beard papa at bugis junction.... such a perfect life :'(

1 - 20 of 106 Posts