Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 953 Posts

·
10th February 2008
60,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sleepy was right. :yes:

Its not Central Spine; Great Jackson St lies on the opposite side of the road near Owen St. I posted it a while ago on the Southern Gateway thread.
Article, map, and Manchester City Council report.(below map)

Interestingly the area in question includes Dandara's Crowngate and West's Owen Street Prposal.

BTW. In the Council report it mentions a 'green bridge' linking the new open spaces across the Mancunian Way to Hulme Park. I clearly remember Simpson talking about this proposal at Cube. He said it was a huge project and if he could pull it off it probably wouldn't get approved anyway.

CITY planners have approved a scheme for a new 3.8m sq ft business district in the southern area of Manchester city centre.

Town hall bosses have backed development guidelines for the 20-acre Great Jackson Street zone.

The framework for the district will help deliver 3.8m sq ft of new and refurbished commercial, residential, retail and leisure floorspace over the next decade.

The Great Jackson Street area is bounded by Chester Road and the River Medlock to the north and west, the Mancunian Way to the south, and residential developments on City Road East to the east.

The guidelines come as the so-called Southern Gateway area, which includes Great Jackson Street, becomes the focus for new office and residential development in central Manchester.

In April Manchester-based developers Ask announced £35m plans for the area's first major commercial development. The first phase will see the refurbishment of the former British Telecom offices at Grand Island, West Whitworth Street, to include 25,000 sq ft of new office space, as part of a 175,000 sq ft scheme. Construction is due for completion by August, 2008.

Identified

The Southern Gateway has been identified by planners for the development of knowledge-based industries.

The city council's strategy documents for the Southern Gateway says the area suffers "a lack of identity and economic purpose", out of step with the booming city centre.

A development plan for the area proposes 26 new blocks, split between residential and business use, plus new public spaces.

Nearly half the new buildings would be homes, one third would be commercial, and the rest earmarked for leisure use. The land involved in the Great Jackson Street area is in the hands of a small number of owners, who have jointly prepared the framework with the city council. They were advised by Manchester-based Ian Simpson Architects.

The plan includes the creation of two new public open spaces, at the east and west ends of the site, which are to be social focal points. These will be linked by an extended River Street, running through the site and connecting Oxford Road to Castlefield.

City council leader Sir Richard Leese said: "This ambitious framework will make an important contribution to the ongoing success of the city centre.

"It will see the Great Jackson Street area transformed from an underused quarter of the city centre to an area with a distinctive character, which will be a desirable location for business, residents and visitors."

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/localdemocracy/committees/executive/current/0530/Report 02.pdf

·
Mancunian Member
7,184 Posts
Owen St and Crowngate proposals total 14 buildings, only another 6 left!

Brill!! Bring on Central spine! Beetham, your friends are on the way!

·
10th February 2008
60,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Anyone noticed Ask's proposal for the Tom Garner site on Chester Road has gone quiet aswell. I wonder........?

Thanks Potts. That bridge looks interesting. :)

·
DJ MedZ
2,542 Posts
aye I have n wondered the same as you j...
also notice the uncompleted effort next 2 the Manc way ( still has a crane ) no work has taken place 4 a long time - the land is part of the masterplan shown - reckon the developer has sold this on and hopefullly will be demolished.

·
10th February 2008
60,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone got the flythrough of Owen Street? if there ever was one?

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
<--- How do you spell it? Like that, see, they were right.

I do like the sound of this. Interesting how the building's don't meet the river. That should be a nice space.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Don't ask me. I can't spell or punctuate. I just like posting renders. I haven't got the brain capacity for anything harder. :nuts: Why?
For once its not your spelling thats wrong rjb - not for the first time ISA have made a schoolboy spelling error.

·
Registered
17 Posts
also notice the uncompleted effort next 2 the Manc way ( still has a crane ) no work has taken place 4 a long time
I've been meaning to ask about that one as I get reminded of it when i drive to football at the Pitz every week. There has definitely not been any progress for a while, but i could swear that the crane seems to be in a different position each week.

·
1,450 Posts
also notice the uncompleted effort next 2 the Manc way ( still has a crane ) no work has taken place 4 a long time - the land is part of the masterplan shown - reckon the developer has sold this on and hopefullly will be demolished.
Its actually in the blank spot just to the right of the masterplan. It hasn’t been sold and isn’t going to be knocked down, the developer has just been hedging his bets as to make it flats or not; the council is on their case to get it sorted.

We now have several clashing layouts for the area and seemingly a mish-mash of different land owners. Is an awful lot of space to fill, especially at the high densities of previous schemes. More questions than answers I suppose.

·
John 3:16
5,291 Posts
New guidelines setting out how an underused area on the fringe of the centre will become a vibrant mixed-use neighbourhood were approved in principle by the City Council's Executive on Wednesday 30th May.The development framework for the Great Jackson Street area will help deliver 3.8 million ft2 (360,000 m2) of new and refurbished commercial, residential, retail and leisure floorspace over the next decade.

The 20-acre area, although well located just south of the core city centre area currently has much vacant and under utilised land.

But it has considerable potential to support the growth and competitiveness of the city centre, appealing to a wide range of commercial occupiers – especially those within the knowledge economy – who want to locate in an attractive central location but unable to afford the higher property costs associated with it.

The Great Jackson Street area is part of the Southern Gateway, the major entrance point into the city centre from South Manchester and the airport which has been identified as having significant potential for office development.

The development of knowledge-based industries in this area will expand and enhance the city's economic base and support the estimated growth in jobs by 125,000over the next 10 years.

Existing initiatives such as Spinningfields, the Oxford Road Corridor and the Central Spine will be complemented by the new framework.

The Great Jackson Street area is in the hands of a small number of landowners, who have jointly prepared the framework with the City Council to ensure greater co-ordination. The detailed development of the framework has been carried out by Ian Simpson Architects.

The framework sets out to deliver a range of high quality flexible buildings, meeting the needs of a wide variety of commercial investors with the potential to adapt to changing requirements, in an attractive and distinctive location.

It includes the creation of two new significant public open spaces, at the east and west of the site, which will be social focal points. These will be linked by an extended River Street running through the site and connecting Oxford Road to Castlefield.

City Council leader Sir Richard Leese said: "This ambitious framework will make an important contribution to the ongoing success of the city centre.

"It will see the Great Jackson Street area transformed from an underused quarter of the city centre to an area with a distinctive character, which will be a desirable location for business, residents and visitors.

"This area is well placed to make a notable contribution to the ongoing success of the city centre."

The Great Jackson Street framework area is bounded by Chester Road and the River Medlock to the north and west, Mancunian Way to the south and residential developments on City Road East to the east.

·
DJ MedZ
2,542 Posts
Its actually in the blank spot just to the right of the masterplan. It hasn’t been sold and isn’t going to be knocked down, the developer has just been hedging his bets as to make it flats or not; the council is on their case to get it sorted.

We now have several clashing layouts for the area and seemingly a mish-mash of different land owners. Is an awful lot of space to fill, especially at the high densities of previous schemes. More questions than answers I suppose.

your right - I should have studied the plan better - bummer that it gonna stay

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sleepy was right. :yes:

Article, map, and Manchester City Council report.(below map)

Interestingly the area in question includes Dandara's Crowngate and West's Owen Street Prposal.

BTW. In the Council report it mentions a 'green bridge' linking the new open spaces across the Mancunian Way to Hulme Park. I clearly remember Simpson talking about this proposal at Cube. He said it was a huge project and if he could pull it off it probably wouldn't get approved anyway.

now that is a great tower! beetham eat your heart out. is that going in for planning?

·
Clean-shaven and foolish
1,363 Posts
1 - 20 of 953 Posts