SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running this tomorrow?

You may want to watch C5 for some views of the city. I cannot believe that this being the second biggest half after the Great North Run (20,000 participants) that the BBC don't seem to realise or care that it's taking place. Really bizarre and a bit of a shame, I've heard nothing. Maybe there will be highlights on the day, though I doubt it.

Anyway, looking forward to it and a few beers after.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Channel 5 will be showing the run this year again. 10am coverage starts.
At least they're taking an interest. Though I would have thought the BBC would have mentioned the fact there will be 20,000 people running around the streets of the second city tomorrow?

·
Gone for a bit
10,541 Posts
At least they're taking an interest. Though I would have thought the BBC would have mentioned the fact there will be 20,000 people running around the streets of the second city tomorrow?
You sound surprised? I'm not.

IIRC it was on the BBC when it was part of the World Championship in 2009. If it was in a certain city 'up north' it would be live on the BBC no doubt, like the BBC does every year when a few has-beens run down a city centre street and its publicised as a huge mega athletics event. You can see better in a club event at Alexander Stadium.

Almost comically, if you Google "Great Birmingham Run BBC" the second result is "Four People Charged with Running Birmingham Brothel". :nuts:

·
Banned
3,829 Posts
I'm watching this on C5.

The most disappointing thing is the almost total lack of spectators along the route.

I know it is 13 miles, but there are long sections with no spectators at all.

And even most of Broad St (where the start and finish is) has almost no spectators, apart from around the finish line, that has a small "crowd".

With 20,000 runners it seems there are far more people actually running in it that watching it.

Maybe lack of spectators due to the low publicity?

·
The promised land
17,401 Posts
^^ no spectators are allowed at the start. The weather wouldn't have helped either with the rest of the route.

·
Brummie & Proud
2,965 Posts
There were a good number of spectators on our bit of the route, great event and Birmingham looks green and cool from the air

·
...Ready for departure.
12,384 Posts
I'm watching this on C5.

The most disappointing thing is the almost total lack of spectators along the route.

And even most of Broad St (where the start and finish is) has almost no spectators, apart from around the finish line, that has a small "crowd".

With 20,000 runners it seems there are far more people actually running in it that watching it.

The winner of the men's elite thought it was a really good course. Lots of challenging terrain and gradients.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
IIRC it was on the BBC when it was part of the World Championship in 2009. If it was in a certain city 'up north' it would be live on the BBC no doubt, like the BBC does every year when a few has-beens run down a city centre street and its publicised as a huge mega athletics event. You can see better in a club event at Alexander Stadium.
Wasn't aware Usain Bolt was a 'has been'!!

Bitter... much

·
Yam Yam
6,205 Posts
^^ He didn't even run the race, just a measly 150m street race. Not really worthy of tv coverage, and neither is the 10k fun run, it's over in half an hour!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm watching this on C5.

I did it today (1 hour 50 finish woohoo), There were plenty of spectators through much of the route, but areas where it was quieter. City centre areas were full, great atmosphere a though.

Knackered now, need bed.

·
Yam Yam
6,205 Posts
I did it today (1 hour 50 finish woohoo), There were plenty of spectators through much of the route, but areas where it was quieter. City centre areas were full, great atmosphere a though.

Knackered now, need bed.
Well done and a good time too! :banana:

My brother ran last year and i'm planning on running it next year with him and possibly the London marathon in 2015. I doubt i'll match you time though, I need to get in training :)

·
Gone for a bit
10,541 Posts
That's really quite pathetic :eek:hno: even this was a bigger story on the England news page :bash:
But David Weir withdrew because of a puncture before the start, the BBC report says he took part. They couldn't even be bothered to report the race properly, quite pathetic really but what we've come to expect from them. :eek:hno:

·
Gone for a bit
10,541 Posts
Here's a proper report:

Great Birmingham Run: 20,000 make Birmingham's half marathon a record breaker

AROUND 20,000 hardy souls made the Bupa Great Birmingham Run a record-breaker - but it was a day to forget for star wheelchair racer David Weir.

The 34-year-old, who won four golds at last year’s Paralympics, should have been finished by the time most of the novice runners had even started.

But Londoner Weir’s wheelchair suffered a tyre puncture as he geared up for the half marathon and he was forced to withdraw, much to the disappointment of his fans.

The race was started by Walsall golden girl Ellie Simmonds, who won two golds, a silver and a bronze at the London Paralympics.

While the event was hailed a great success by organisers, the day did not pass without incident as three men were taken to hospital after collapsing within 200m of each other.

Andy Gillespie, a watch commander at Ladywood fire station, said the men dropped to the floor near the Five Ways underpass into Broad Street - just 500m from the finish line.

He said they were treated for heat exhaustion, shock and dehydration. Two were released after treatment, but one was expected to be detained in hospital overnight.

There was however, plenty for the spectators to smile about as they cheered and watched their loved ones navigate the hilly circuit, largely without the need for umbrellas as the expected rain stayed away.

Entrants of all ages and athletic ability put their best feet forward, all with their own tales to tell.

Few stories could be as poignant as Craig Browne’s who was running in memory of close friend Paul Weigand, 34, from Tyseley, who died in his sleep on Tuesday after a long battle with diabetes.

Craig, 31, from Tyseley, ran the race wearing a T-shirt displaying a picture of his tragic pal on the front and one of his catchphrases on the back.

“He had struggled with diabetes and had not been well for a while,” Craig said.

“But it was a still a shock to hear his father found him dead after he passed away in his sleep.

“He was with me every step of the way and I ran my personal best time for him.”

Glyn Fordham, 30, from Sutton Coldfield, and Chris Reader, 32, from Nottingham, were also running as a heartfelt tribute to their late friend Chris Cox, from Redditch.

Mr Cox, an epilepsy sufferer, died in May last year aged just 29, after a sudden lung infection that proved inoperable.

Mr Fordham said: “We also ran the race last year in his memory and will do it every year until we physically can’t.

“He used to run a lot of marathons himself to raise money for Epilepsy Action.

“We decided to raise money for the same charity to carry on his tradition.”

Others taking part were family and friends of 36-year-old Kevin Paterson, the Birmingham-based runner who died shortly after crossing the finishing line last year.

Married Kevin, of Selly Oak, was the first person to die in the six-year history of the event.

Councillor Mike Leddy, the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, said the half marathon was the perfect way to showcase the city.

“I’ve been talking to people all over the country and they’ve all praised the event,” Coun Leddy said. “Not just for its organisation but the course itself, the scenery, the finish line and the charity village in Centenary Square.

“All credit to Bupa and our events team for putting it on.

“It has shown Birmingham in a great light and enhanced its reputation as a sporting city.

“It’s the second biggest half-marathon (in the UK) but next year it might even be the biggest if it keeps growing like it has.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/great-birmingham-run-2013-birminghams-6212576

1 - 20 of 157 Posts