SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love this one by Brett Morris (St George) against Brisbane back in round 4. Great set up by Jamie Soward who intercepted the ball from Darren Lockyer

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
how about that Sharks' winger's try?

Benji Marshall's side step over half of the Cronulla side back in 2005 is still wonderfully wonderful

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Thats one of the annoying things about Rugby League. There is only 1 line of defence, you break through them you basically have a try.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If you ran a highlight reel of Matty Bowen over the years you would see some sensational tries.

Thats one of the annoying things about Rugby League. There is only 1 line of defence, you break through them you basically have a try.
Yeah it's so annoying, there should be more players on the field so very few tries are scored and base the game around kicks for goal, oh wait we do have a game like that.

Your knowledge of the game is very thinly based if you think that every line break in League turns out to be a try.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Actually now I think of it that try back a few years ago, I think 1990 Kangaroo tour that Ettinghausen scored in a test against Great Britan with Ricky Stuart making the break then on to big Mal and the Ettinhausen that won us the game. I remember the great commentary from David Morrow.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
If you ran a highlight reel of Matty Bowen over the years you would see some sensational tries.

Yeah it's so annoying, there should be more players on the field so very few tries are scored and base the game around kicks for goal, oh wait we do have a game like that.

Your knowledge of the game is very thinly based if you think that every line break in League turns out to be a try.
If there were more defending players though we'd see better quality tries. not that we don't see some brilliant tries, we see heaps. I'm just saying some of them these days are getting a bit predictable and same old. Not that Rugby Union is doing anything to make the tries in that game any better either though, they are getting far worse at a ridiculously fast rate. We can thank the big boys in the Northern Hemisphere for that.

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
Michael Jennings v Roosters earlier this year - gathers ball in his own in goal, side steps a couple of defenders, breaks the line, runs 100m untouched to score under the black dot.

Could have very well been a Roosters try if Jennings wasn't there - it was basically a 12 point turnaround.

·
Registered
342 Posts
broncos v eels 2008
after the final siren goes, lockyer pulls out something from his bag of tricks so brisbane can win 30-26

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Terry Lamb (Canterbury) did a good job setting up his own try in the 1988 Grand Final against Balmain

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
MARK COYNE - say no more

Billy Slater 04 Origin kick and regather try
Matty Bowen Origin 05 intercept try
Steve Renouf 1992 GF 100m effort
Isreal Folou Origin 08 rediculous leap and one hand put down

They're some i can memorably recall. i dont often recall the nsw ones coz they're not memorable for me, but would most likely be just as good

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
MARK COYNE - say no more

Billy Slater 04 Origin kick and regather try
Matty Bowen Origin 05 intercept try
Steve Renouf 1992 GF 100m effort
Isreal Folou Origin 08 rediculous leap and one hand put down

They're some i can memorably recall. i dont often recall the nsw ones coz they're not memorable for me, but would most likely be just as good
TBH I think that Billy Slater try is the most over rated in the history of RL. Everyone made such a big thing about it, but it happens in Super 14's on a weekly basis difference is they recatch it on the full.

Anyway, this to me, is a much better try. Def not the best but when you think about it its fairly freakish for a debut, like c'mon.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I don't like State of Origon, but I like to watch an NRL match every now and then. I'm not a fan at all of those behind the Rugby League, but the actual game can be good.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
TBH I think that Billy Slater try is the most over rated in the history of RL. Everyone made such a big thing about it, but it happens in Super 14's on a weekly basis difference is they recatch it on the full.
What a load of crap! Mate if they scored tries like Billy's Origin try in Super 14 every week I would be giving league the flick and just watch Super 14 games and the crowds would be flocking to the games.

I agree with Maroon Grown about the Mark Coyne try, that was not only a great try but the theatre of it, last minute and to win the game.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
What a load of crap! Mate if they scored tries like Billy's Origin try in Super 14 every week I would be giving league the flick and just watch Super 14 games and the crowds would be flocking to the games.

I agree with Maroon Grown about the Mark Coyne try, that was not only a great try but the theatre of it, last minute and to win the game.
Weekly basis was an exageration. Should have said regularly.

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
I was at a now long gone indoor cricket centre at North Rocks in NW Sydney when I saw the last minutes of Game 1 in 1994. I remember thinking what the hell had just happened at full time - it really was a miracle try.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts