·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Downtown:

Shangri-La at 60 stories

Melville at 44 floors

Elan at 34 floors

Bentall V at 34 floors (including second vertical phase)

YMCA Tower at 44 floors

Ciello at 30 floors

The Taylor

Hotel Georgia at 52 floors

King's Landing

The Ritz at 38 floors
www.liveattheritz.com

Burnaby:

CenterPoint at 35 floors (will be Burnaby's tallest 356 feet)

One Madison Avenue (2 towers) at 30 floors

Rennaiscance Towers at 32 and 35 floors

Highgate Village 4 Towers at 30+ floors

·
expo
453 Posts
I went to the show room for Shangri-La a few days ago and managed to snap a few photos of the model before they told me I wan't allowed to. It is insane that you aren't allowed to, there are photos of it in the newspaper, they are advertising the design all over the place, and the walls of that room are all glass and you can see it from the street! It is a really good display though, giant model, model floors, life size rooms with photos of what the view will be like as the windows. I will post the 2 photos I managed to take sometime...

The model shows the glass as a much darker colour than the renderings.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Um.... I had no idea that Vancouver was part of the American Pacific North West.

Thanks for clearing that up Vanman, I would have thought that this would have belonged in the Western Provinces section but that's just silly me.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You can post Vancouver stuff on the West Coast Forums.

West Coast and Interior West
Includes CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID and BC. <-- That BC is for Bristish Columbia.

·
expo
453 Posts
^What he said.
Homer J. Simpson said:
Um.... I had no idea that Vancouver was part of the American Pacific North West.

Thanks for clearing that up Vanman, I would have thought that this would have belonged in the Western Provinces section but that's just silly me.
Plus, it is "West Coast and Interior West" (includes BC) and not "American Pacific North West" (that would only include 2 states).

·
Registered
973 Posts

Surrey's recently approved a huge highrise development, on land next to the king george skytrain station.

Woodwards social and student housing development, part of the plans to revitalise the cities downtown east side.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
612bv3 said:

Includes CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID and BC. <-- That BC is for Bristish Columbia.

That's cool, I never realized that British Coloumbia was a part of the United States. Good to know.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
nice list. quite impressive.

·
I need coffee.
1,442 Posts
That Hotel Georgia building looks unusual. I think I like it.

Anyone know of other projects in the works for the Downtown Eastside besides the Woodwards development?

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Plumber73 said:
That Hotel Georgia building looks unusual. I think I like it.

Anyone know of other projects in the works for the Downtown Eastside besides the Woodwards development?
here you go:

Innovative high rise would tower 80 storeys

By David Carrigg-Staff writer

What's 800-feet tall, occupies a full city block, has a titanium clamshell theatre at the base and thousands of feet of high-tensile steel cable running at an angle from top to street-level to make it look like a harp?

The answer is the Fringe Building, the latest design proposal for the Downtown Eastside from developer Stephen Hynes and architect Arthur Erickson.

Hynes and Erickson previously worked together on the landmark Copper Building on the 1500-block of West Sixth Avenue and the Waterfall Building on the 1700-block of West First Avenue.

The focus of those projects, and of the Fringe Building, is style based on function to encourage interaction among residents in the live/work projects.

Hynes is critical of the marketing efforts of traditional condos developers, who promise a life of contentment, based on interior shots of the units and photos of people having fun outside the building.

"There is a profound difference between what people are told and what developers actually end up doing," he said.

Hynes hopes the Fringe Building will not only challenge the way structures are designed, but also the way they are conceived and marketed.

"Normally you design the building, then get the development permit, then go to the land registry and get the building permit, then market it and build it," he said. "What Arthur and I want to do with the Fringe Building is speak to the people who would buy into it and ask what they want. Get their input and then design. It would be a revolution in the way design occurs in the urban context."

The Vancouver Fringe Festival has already expressed interest in the project. Its desire for a large theatre space would be accommodated in the clamshell theatre at the bottom of the building. Another 300-seat theatre would be located at the top and each of the building's 800 units would be two levels, with shared stairways leading into the work space and private entries for the living space.

"The wiring from the top of the building would be anchored on the street and used for lighting the theatre below and to suspend a rain tarp if it's needed," Hynes said.

Several blocks in the Downtown Eastside could be used for the 80-storey project, which Hynes hopes will be built in time for the 2010 Winter Olympics. But the philosophically inclined developer faces a major hurdle.

The city's tall building guidelines restrict building height to 600 feet. Tall buildings can only be built in one section of the downtown core and must not block the city's designated view corridors.

Michael Gordon, senior city planner, said containing high-rise buildings to one section of the city ensures the skyline is domed and not disjointed. Hynes wants to see the tall building policy overhauled.

On Sept. 21, Hillside Developments, the company Hynes owns, will host a forum at the Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design examining how surroundings determine who we are and how space affects behaviour. The forum, which is part of the Fringe Festival, will include Erickson, architect Bing Thom and Coun. Jim Green.

·
I need coffee.
1,442 Posts
Cheers mr.x! I think this is the second time. :)

The building sounds pretty huge. This would indeed have to go through many hurdles. Aside from the height restrictions, I'm just thinking about what the Woodwards proposal had to go through. I wouldn't bet on it being built by 2010 with the height proposed.

Michael Gordon, senior city planner, said containing high-rise buildings to one section of the city ensures the skyline is domed and not disjointed.
I guess I hear what he is saying, but... Is there a rule written somewhere that a skyline has to be 'domed'? I can think of a few cities with great looking skylines that have no dome shape at all.

I'm curious... I wonder what the height restrictions are, if any, in places like Burnaby or Surrey. I would think there are no 'view corridors' to protect in those places.

Hynes is critical of the marketing efforts of traditional condos developers, who promise a life of contentment, based on interior shots of the units and photos of people having fun outside the building.
:lol: So true.

·
Canadian
779 Posts
rt_0891 said:
Quite impressive for Surrey. BTW, an identical thread should be posted in the Western provinces section & stickied, like SSP.

It's nice to see some development in Surrey, but these buildings are bland, grey and uninspiring. This is not much to be proud of. However, the Hotel Georgia project looks very nice.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
612bv3 said:

Bit of an outdated forum description, isn't it? I believe it was set before the Canadian Western provinces got their own section.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Nutterbug said:
Bit of an outdated forum description, isn't it? I believe it was set before the Canadian Western provinces got their own section.
I like having BC part of this subforum. Vancouver/Victoria are isolated from other major Canadian cities, Calgary is almost as far away from Vancouver as San Francisco is. Its nice to diccuse things with our neighbours to the south.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Joey V said:

It's nice to see some development in Surrey, but these buildings are bland, grey and uninspiring. This is not much to be proud of. However, the Hotel Georgia project looks very nice.

those were actually the old original concept renderings. they released new ones that look much better, i'll try to find them.

1 - 20 of 507 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.