Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The early days of the mondo condo... lots of Vancouver green glass, lol. Any pre-2000 condos are welcome on this thread, green glass or not =)

Part 1 - The early 90's

Building completed 1987. Tree was born 1972.

Classic pink stucco from 1989

The pink condo (1991)

A very 1991 lobby

Yaletown 1994

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Part 2 - the mid 90's

port cochere

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part 3 - the late 90's

The Bayshore neighbourhood began construction in the early 90's. The buildings in this pic have completion dates ranging from 1996 to 2001.

A late 90's lobby

And no condo thread is complete without the neighbourhood that started it all. Concord Pacific (1988-2003)

Street interface

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My favorite pair of old-school condos in Toronto - One York Quay:

Love the different coloured mullions

The entrance is a bit pomo...

Left, built 1990.... Right, built 2006

my photos

·
:-x
5,787 Posts
I'm surprised the city's latest (several-years) round of erections there is of the bulky ilk, a size that I never imagined Vancouver taking to incorporating.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isaidso said:
OMG! Everything I hate all rolled up into one thread.
Never forget; never repeat! Oops too late :)

But honestly, there's a lot of older condos that I prefer a million times over some of the shit we build these days. For example, the condo I posted for "1998" had only black and blue trim, yet achieved the Mondrain look way better than the crappy podium at Capitol Residences, and without using a contrived ramdomizing of mullions/spandrel panels. The concrete terraces in front of One York Quay are far more comfortable than any mid-rise podium these days with balconies barely large enough to commit suicide from. And I'd take the optimistically utopian white mullion/green glass of the late 90's colour palette any day over the amorphous blobs of grey mullion/grey spandrel of the post-2005 era.

An over-due revival of the worst condos thread would probably show how over the years, we've simply traded one kind of ugly for another. People forget too easily, which is why history keeps repeating itself.

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
The concrete terraces in front of One York Quay are far more comfortable than any mid-rise podium these days with balconies barely large enough to commit suicide from.
I think that's what it should say in the brochure: ...trash compacters, washer/dryer and suicide friendly rated balconies!

·
:-x
5,787 Posts
I liked the fact that, compared to other places, Vancouver appeared to pay attention how their monstrosities merged well into the streetscape.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't mind living here, where is it located and how much does it cost?
It's in Vancouver's West End. According to Lestwarog (my go-to site for condo info) the building is made up of half-floor lower units for about $2 million, and full floor units for about $4 million. Roughly $1500/sf, high for West End, but reasonable given it's next to Stanley Park.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Ahhh! So glad this thread was created! :cheers:

I love the 90s towers in Vancouver so much. When I was there I was absolutely fascinated with them.

Thanks! :) Keep it going as you see more pics!

Also, what is the name of this tower?

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^The tower is 1723 Alberni Street. And yes, the glazing/cladding texture is brilliant :) Even though it's 12 years old, it's still surprisingly cheap ($650/sf)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts