SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Green Infrastructure | Clean Air Zone, Parks & Environment

90225 Views 787 Replies 87 Participants Last post by  sefton66
This may sound like a rather unusual (some may say slightly dull) thread. Apologies!

I find certain areas of Birmingham very attractive and it's usually to do with the level of greenery that that particular locality has - the greener the better by and large. The contrast with other areas within Birmingham that have little obvious greenery is stark.

My question is would you also like to see more green in Birmingham and if so what ideas do you have to make the city more green.

To start with: I think the city centre should have a small park and I would place it at Baskerville Wharf close to where students, office workers and leisure visitors gather.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
There seems to be improved public realm considerations to the masterplans we've seen in the past few years through Arena Central, Axis, New Garden Square, Paradise (to a lesser extent).

But I do share your viewpoint JD, the central core does need a signature park - and as much as I like Pidgeon Park & St Paul's Square, the benefits to a larger park would be huge and I also agree that the City Centre Gardens site would be perfect.

Extending the size of the current park, and ideally as far as the canal, which is a section particularly in need of regeneration, would mean it's closely located to the core Leisure zone, historic centre, and a short walk for what will soon be the largest concentration of office employees in the centre.

Thank you Ell, that was exactly the place for the location of the small park!

As you can see the City Centre Gardens site could easily be expanded out, possibly down to the canal area. I'm fairly sure that the council own the land surrounding the Gardens including the Towers and the car park; the Halls of Residence land I am not sure about but they do look like they need to be refurbished and given that they are affiliated with UCB (?) which is a public institution there should be room for negotiations.

There are two major problems however. Firstly how do you relocate the tenants from the towers? They are likely to be aggrieved as you can't get any more central than where they are and plus they have excellent on site public realm and car parking spaces. Tough decisions would have to be made but ultimately a great space such as this one should be shared by the many rather than the few. There shall surely be spaces along Digbeth High Street for people to move to which has the added benefit of the Metro.

The second problem lies with the Baskerville Wharf development - one which looks dull and unimaginative to say the least. I can only politely say that it would be regrettable if the proposal got the green light. I will let my thoughts known to the Council and question whether they could buy the land themselves.

The city will be changing a lot over the next 10 years and having had a look at sefton66's excellent directory thread it appears that over 13,000 households could be built within the ring road as well as all the student halls developments to accommodate the BCU move. Potentially then another 30,000 people will make the move to the city centre - a population the size of Wawrick. That doesn't include the office workers that move to the Great Charles Estate, nor Paradise, Arena Central or Brindleyplace who may use the park at lunchtimes. Nor does it include the young families who visit the park having been to the Sealife Centre or Legoland Discovery Centre.

All those people who move to or visit the city centre will factor in how liveable or attractive the place is. One well known way of achieving that is to have a fantastically located park in which to relax in.

If you agree with what I say can I ask that you provide me with a like as it helps to show that I have a decent idea here and it may mean that I will be taken more seriously by the Council. Alternatively if you disagree or think my position carries too many holes then let me know as I can refine it.
Reactions: jd88, daj and TJF
Another accolade for Birmingham following on from the Biophilic city title, we're the UK's first Tree City of the World;

https://www.prolandscapermagazine.com/birmingham-earns-tree-cities-of-the-world-status/

For some reason the application last year struck more headlines than the actual awarding of the status, but trusty Pro Landscaper has the details!
Watching Midlands Today they featured the Canal & River Trust who are using gov funding to implement improvements to 50 miles of canal a continuous 'community orchard' spanning Birmingham and Wolverhampton;
1 - 3 of 3 Posts