SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,572 Posts
I don't think it needs more designated 'parks' I just think that more greenery should be integrated all over. There's always space if you try. I was driving somebody from out the area around Edgbaston (which they thought was representative of the whole city and I didn't correct them) and they said 'Birmingham is so nice because it's got so many trees and greenery'. This needs to be extended beyond 'Leafy Edgbaston'
^^
Agree totally with you daniboy, I would like to see trees lining every city street.
If planted correctly with slow growing or smaller slim trees, even our narrow streets could be planted up.
The whole perception of a street and area changes when you see more trees and greenery.
Imagine the difference trees could make to Constitution Hill and Great Hampton Street, Frederick St in the JQ, Warstones Lane and the Sandpits area.
Caroline Street in the JQ should look superb in a few years time when the trees there have matured more.
I do hope some serious consideration as gone into ensuring the same for the massive St Georges and Kettleworks, though visuals don't currently seem to be indicating this.
Welcome jd88 and good thread idea.

· Registered
5,572 Posts
Drove up to Edgbaston reservoir for a walk round on Sunday, and found the barrier down and a notice stating the car park is closed until the end of 2019 due to "antisocial behaviour".
Really saddened me that this fantastic resource is now harder to reach for elderly or disabled people of general visitors, never mind tourists, yes you can park outside, if you can park nearby, but what a disappointment. Thanks yobs whoever you are for messing up one of Birmingham's gems.
I hope if the Edgbaston masterplan goes through some form of security measures will prevent idiots spoiling what is a fantastic resource for the city.

On a separate note, I went up hoping to see the reservoir in or close to flood level with all the rain, but it was at a level you'd expect in mid summer.
Apart from the channel in the corner near the Tower ballroom that drains into the canal system when the level gets high, do they drain the reservoir in other ways too anyone know?

· Registered
5,572 Posts
Not sure what started this discussion, but for me the metro is about accessibility. City core stops are going to be and need to be closer for people to hop on and hop off, yes it may slow down the service but, within the guidance mentioned by Djay, do I really want to walk up to 400 metres to access a tram stop, within the city centre. Definite no no for me, the current ones built are just fine. (y)🙂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts