SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard of plans to connect the green line to manhattan beach? Why not when its so close yet too far for people to walk?

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
I haven't heard of this, although it does not sound like a bad idea. The question is are the residents of Manhattan going to allow a train thru their million dollar homes/community????

·
Registered
90 Posts
I seriously doubt that rich people in Manhattan Beach would let something like that go through, even if it was in the less expensive part of town. Like most people they will complain that it will let in thugs and increase crime, you know all that stuff that supposedly comes when you build a subway.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Not enough density, imo. It should go north through LAX up Lincoln and end in Venice somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honestly, it will never happen. Not in Manhattan Beach anyway. There are already too many complaints about outsiders, and beach is plenty crowded during the summer. MB residents want first and foremost to keep a small-town atmosphere. And what would we gain from it? Very few MB residents have any desire to use metro services, so its overall impact on the community would certainly be negative.

What should be done is a proper connection to LAX, and continue that on through to Dockweiler Beach, which is currently underutilized

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ I'm not to sure about Dockweiller Beach area. I would understand a portion going thru Sepulveda then west on Centinela. When it arrives @ Lincoln go north toward Venice and then connect to Central Subway (Currently Red Line Ext.) to the SM.

·
Banned
957 Posts
I think the G-line should be extended SE, to Artesia, Buena Park, Anaheim/Disneyland, Santa Anna, and Irvine, and maybe the beach or John Wayne, or the future great park?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Why would it be so long? Let the OC build their own friggin' trains. We're having a hard enough time just getting our shit down Wilshire.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
klamedia said:
Why would it be so long? Let the OC build their own friggin' trains. We're having a hard enough time just getting our shit down Wilshire.

^ True, why is it a bitch to get the train to the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
skyscraper maniac
1,982 Posts
I want to add my two little cents, but I can't do it w/o someone posting that map with the subway lines and the LA map.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Ferneynism said:
^ True, why is it a bitch to get the train to the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think at this point in the game "Ferney", you know the answer.

·
Banned
957 Posts
klamedia said:
The OC could subsidies the part in its county, but it should still be connected to ours, either the green line, or a hypothetical line SE from DT.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
klamedia said:
I think at this point in the game "Ferney", you know the answer.
Yea but so many changes occur so frequently it's hard to keep up........

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Robert Stark said:
The OC could subsidies the part in its county, but it should still be connected to ours, either the green line, or a hypothetical line SE from DT.
^ :eek:hno:

·
17,379 Posts
That wouldn't be a good idea. Best option is to have the Green Line go to South Bay Plaza and then Torrance then Long Beach.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
I would like to see the line terminate in San Pedro. But realistically, this line is not necessarily of top priority right now. Getting it to LAX definately is a priority, but going south into the South Bay that after all that I've read and seen, by and large really are ambivalent to rail transit and increased densification. When I travel from the Hollywood/Silver Lake area to let's say Westchester, I am seemingly in two different cities. Lots and lots of single family homes, suburban type apartment complexes, massive parking lots out front of stores, this isn't the ideal setting for mass transit.

On the other hand, I was just in SM the other evening and I'm hard pressed to find another orbital city outside of Pasadena that is attempting to respect the laws of urbaneness and increased density. It seemed like every other block was wedged in with another apartment building that opened up to the street and was at minimum 3-4 floors high.

I ideally would like to see Red, Expo, and north leg of the Green all terminate somewhere in the SM and/or Venice Beach area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Robert Stark said:
Yes, indeed. That's why we should extend the Green Line to Anaheim: because Orange County could pay for it. That's what I'm all about: finding new funding sources for new extensions to the MetroRail system.

In this manner, we could fund many useful services: Green Line going into LAX. Extending the Red line in the valley to Burbank (Bob Hope) Airport. A train that would take people to Dodger Stadium. A subway underneath Staples Center/LA Live. Extending the Expo Line to drop people off at the LA Colisseum once we get a football team in there. All these institutions would have it in their economic interest to pay for these extensions, or at least partly pay for them.

Thinking outside the box here! Spread the word!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts