SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Real Estate Consultant
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay, I decided to revive the thread!
Last week I had to work in San Bernardino. After work I decided to stop by a park and to have lunch. I found the best looking nearby park on the GPS (the only nearby park with a large lake) and headed there.

The place is called Seccombe Lake

I guess the City of San Bernardino decided to implement the crime fighting techniques used by the City of LA, which is to eliminate as much parking as possible. No parking => no loitering => no crime! Right?

All of the parking stalls of the only parking lot were re-painted red:
The only available parking was along the street.

Overall: nice park, nice lake, nice island with bridges.

The place was full of ducks and... holes in the ground.

And guess who lived there!

I got some tamales from a cart vendor and decided to share my lunch with the locals. Let's see who is braver:

The chipmunks! (or are they squirrels?)

But then somebody else brought some better food and the local gangs left me alone:

Yes, there were lots of them and they all were hungry:

They would send out their spied to search for people with food

And once food was discovered:

But sometimes the spies would get discovered also. And when they were, they had to run for their lives:

Okay, enough eating. Now let's walk around the park:

To be continued.
Gotta go now, sorry!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Seccombe Lake is a state recreation area, and it's in awful condition, at the moment, since the place been taken over by the homeless. But, EDAW has developed plans to make the park a first-class urban amenity and the centerpiece of a mixed-use urban village, as part of the much larger plans to reposition San Bernardino as a resort-style metropolis and an international city that competes with Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco.

You may have noticed from the satellite view that the very old Pioneer Memorial Cemetery occupies an even larger piece of land immediate North of the Seccombe Lake Park, and the plans include transforming that property into historical gardens that are available for passive recreational and cultural uses.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you'd like more inspiration regarding great parks, feel free to browse through my Flickr pictures of the San Bernardino Valley and the rest of the Inland Empire here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pragmaticidealist/sets/217620/

The Frederick Law Olmsted-designed Fairmount Park is excellent, but my favorite is Prospect Park in Redlands. Prospect Park is a gracious, and characteristically Californian, place with mature plantings and the Kimberly Crest house and gardens.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the Inland Empire,San Bernardino is my favourite and largest city located.It has several parks and other recreation facilities.

Perris Hill Park is the largest with: Roosevelt Bowl, Fiscalini Field, several tennis courts, a Y.M.C.A., a senior center, a shooting range, hiking trails, and a pool. Other notable parks include: the Glen Helen Regional Park, operated by the County of San Bernardino, is located in the northern-most part of the city. Blair Park is another midsized park near the University District, it is home to a well known skate park and various hiking trails on Shandin Hills, also known as Little Mountain.

Here are some pictures of Glen Helen Regional Park

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the Inland Empire,San Bernardino is my favourite and largest city located.It has several parks and other recreation facilities.

Perris Hill Park is the largest with: Roosevelt Bowl, Fiscalini Field, several tennis courts, a Y.M.C.A., a senior center, a shooting range, hiking trails, and a pool. Other notable parks include: the Glen Helen Regional Park, operated by the County of San Bernardino, is located in the northern-most part of the city. Blair Park is another midsized park near the University District, it is home to a well known skate park and various hiking trails on Shandin Hills, also known as Little Mountain.

Here are some pictures of Glen Helen Regional Park

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
This seems like a great park to visit. Just never knew that squirrels ate tamales. :)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts