SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every great city has a necropolis that at one point dominated its... field. New York City is no exception. Green-Wood cemetery has been the most prestigious public burial place from 1838 and arguably remains to be such.

As you immerse yourself in this vast Central Park for the dead you come across governors, senators, generals, writers, simple folk and those whose mortal odyssey is destined to remain a mystery, for history has covered it with layers of ashes.

While the outer gate may seem refined and graceful (and rightfully so)...

It is the main gate that impresses. The height of a real cathedral, it is a stunning neogothic structure from 1861.

Sorry about the quality, it was getting darker and the day was shamefully lacking of sunlight

To be continued

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the complex is maintained with electric vehicles

That's about it. I have more pics, but they're mostly details. Note that this is but a small part of the cemetery.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a lot of interesting stories associated with it. One of them:

A local busnessman (now buried in that mausoleum in the background) built this Minerva (Greek Goddess) to commemorate the battle of 1776 that took place in this exact spot between Washington's outnumbered forces and the British army. The Goddess is facing Statue of Liberty, raising her hand in tribute. You actually do see Lady Liberty directly opposite of it.

Another interesting fact: he built his own mausoleum, nine years prior to his death.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, I wonder if it was a nice building, the adjacent streets are quite ugly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts