SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 406 Posts

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the referendum officially on the ballot for November 4, 2014, I think it's only necessary to move all such discussion away from the regional public transportation thread. Since tampabay.com sucks with the payment, we can post any tribune on here as well to get members to comment on articles relating to the referendum, like we did with the 2010 referendum.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
^^
I guess the paywall really is that bad.

Anyhow, I'm glad that GP has made it to the ballot. Maybe...just maybe...Hillsborough will finally get off its chair and follow suit for a Nov, 2015 measure.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Another poll shows support for GP

Source: Bay News 9.

Local organizations are continuing to push for expanded mass transit in the Bay area with a referendum on next November's ballot.
And if an exclusive Bay News 9/Tampa Bay Times/AM 820 News poll is any indication, those organizations may be able to rest easy.

Bay area residents were asked if they support or oppose a sale tax increase to expand mass transit through expanded bus service and passenger rail.

Fifty-five percent of those surveyed said they would support the referendum. Thirty-six percent were opposed and nine percent said they were not sure.
Full Story: http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...cles/bn9/2013/12/27/residents_support_ta.html

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have to gather almost all of that 9% to make it a safe bet that Greenlight Pinellas passes.

I wonder the opposition reasons against it. I have no doubt that good chunk of them are just against anything that seems liberal or progressive (Tea Party folks), but this isn't a bad deal when you look at what the property tax decrease saves more than what you will be losing annual with the 1-cent sales tax increase. Again, some see light rail and sirens start going off and preach about government takeover.

I've had a lovely debate on Mark Sharpe's FB page on mass transit. Maybe nothing, but Mark seemed eager to do a similar plan like GP in the future.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
There's no doubt that groups like "No Tax for Tracks" will be upping their ante in 2014. Some for sure will find a b.s. reason to connect GP to Obama as well, although the 2010 HSR argument is no longer valid in 2014. Nonetheless, groups like CTB have to continue their efforts to get people to understand what they're getting from GP. That's something the 2010 Hillsborough plan failed to do.

With that said, here's a Times article that shows despite strong support, some of that support has fizzled out due to the conclusion of the GP marketing initiative:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/transp...arrow-edge-on-both-sides-of-tampa-bay/2158964

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
IMO, local residents should have the responsibility of local light rail, buses, streetcars along with other city, state, county or federal funding. Local transit provides the everyday transportation needs of locals. This either gives them daily commuting options and/or lessens the burden of the roadways.

Any rail that connects other cities does not impact the local residents as much and should be the responsibility of the state and federal governments supplemented by tourist taxes as they would be the primary use of that type of rail. The example would be, how often would you take a train from Tampa to Orlando or Miami? Once or twice a year.

I fully support paying a little more in taxes to enhance our 'local' transit needs. Saying this as a conservative although I am not a Republican or Tea Party member, I do lean to center right.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Its not just residents that need to pitch in for transit. Some investment is going to have to come in from private enterprise as well. The Feds aren't going to dole out money for transportation like they used to anymore. Private investment must become a major player in many future transit improvements and we're likely going to see more Public-Private Partnerships come up for future projects. For LRT for instance, it's likely going to be a consortium of PSTA, TBARTA, and perhaps several private entitites operating the line.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would consider advertisement as private investment. But how much advertisement is too much?

I wonder how much of the property tax going down will play in the proposals of T.O.D.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
2nd phase of Greenlight to launch next week!

Next week will start the critical phase of the Pinellas Transit Referendum! We must continue to spread the word about better transit and how the referendum will benefit everyone in Pinellas, and also fight against NTFT and their lies.

Source: Tampa Bay Times.

Pinellas transit advocates have been wondering lately when the pro-referendum campaign will get going. In December, it was going to be January. And now that January is almost over, it’s going to be February.

With nine months to go before the question goes before voters, a date has officially be set. The campaign to convince voters to support a referendum that would increase the county's sales tax to pay for expanded bus service and light rail is scheduled to launch on Feb. 7.
Full Story: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/baybu...nch-greenlight-yes-campaign-next-week/2163479

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope to get involved with this. Next couple years will be crucial for transportation throughout the region. Greenlight will need to do a lot of public engagement in Northern Pinellas.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
TBO.com article.

After spending $400,000 promoting the Greenlight Pinellas mass-transit plan last year, Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority has earmarked another $150,000 for a new educational campaign and may spend more in the run-up to the November referendum.

PSTA leaders say the campaign will enable voters to make an informed decision on whether to raise the sales tax by one penny to pay for an expanded bus service and a new light-rail network.
Full Story: http://tbo.com/pinellas-county/psta-to-spend-more-on-transit-campaign-20140201/

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any person crying foul against PSTA putting out information about the referendum doesn't understand the difference between what PSTA is doing and saying "Hey, vote yes on the referendum!"

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
^^
Exactly! PSTA is simply educating people as to what will happen if people vote "yes" and if they vote "no". It's not by any means a push to get people to vote a certain way. A HUGE LIE by NTFT.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
A little bump in the road perhaps?

Source: TBO.com

Conservative activists are calling for the resignation of a Tampa Bay area public transportation agency chairman because of his involvement in a privately funded campaign to get a transit referendum passed in Pinellas County.

In a letter copied to Gov. Rick Scott, members of Citizens Organized for Sound Transportation say Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority Chairman Ronnie Duncan’s leadership of the Yes for Greenlight campaign is a conflict of interest and will damage TBARTA’s standing. The letter also was sent to other members of TBARTA’s governing board.
Full Story: http://tbo.com/pinellas-county/tbarta-chairmans-role-with-greenlight-draws-criticism-20140211/

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Of course not. Duncan knows the rules that come with his position and would had passed on taking the leadership position if it was against the rules. Simple answer is this, there is nothing that prevents him from leading Yes for Greenlight Pinellas. Nothing. This is just a weak attempt by Sharon and the few to bring an issue where there is no issue. TBARTA is doing the exact same thing as they did in 2010, you would think they would had been told by now that they broke any rules or laws. But again, nothing prevents them from doing so.

If Ronnie was leading No Tax for Tracks, I have a strong opinion you wouldn't see this being an issue for Sharon and her few.

Reactions: Brian72

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
And the transit activists fight back. Great job kmthurman! :D

Source: Tampa Bay Times.

In the wake of conservative activists' call for the leader of Pinellas' pro-transit campaign to resign, mass transit advocates are accusing the group of applying a double standard.

At the center of the debate is an ethical question: Is it wrong for the board member of a public agency to also work for a political advocacy organization that tries to influence policy on the same topic?
Full Story: http://www.tampabay.com/news/politi...cate-has-her-own-conflict-transit-tax/2165260

1 - 20 of 406 Posts