SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Greensboro landmark, the former Burlington Industries Corporate Head Quarters, was imploded today. This building has long graced Friendly Avenue in the Western part of the city. Although a suburban office building, it has long been viewed favorably for it's impressive architecture. Needless to say it is sad to see this landmark gone. To watch the video click on the link.

http://www.wfmy.com/news/Topstory/topstory_article.aspx?storyid=41602

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Yeah, I watched it on FOX 8. I hate to see it leave as well, but hopefully the planned residential/commercial developments will be admirable replacements.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not sorry one bit. Always hated that building and never understood why everybody thought it was so innovative.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Great video... You can see the emotion on some people's face... Anyway, hopefully something innovative and useful will replace that building; maybe a mixed-use development ;) I am not familiar with that area - maybe I've passed through there, I can't recall - so anyone cares to post photos from there?

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
my thoughts:

1. it's sad we're such a disposeable society. history, or the dismantling of, repeats itself too often. not my favorite building, but it was kinda cool. looks like something the borg would build.

2. demolition can be cool, but what a bunch of hicks. ;) "BOOOOOOHHHHM!!!" reminds me of my neighbor's grandson from Hickory.

3. "i'm not afraid of loud noises." - that kid's cool; i can see him listening to merzbow in 10-20 years.

4. if i would've known this, i would've gone and seen it last weekend, since i was in the triad.

-

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This property adjoins Friendly Shopping Center on the west side. The property will be turned over to Starmont Corp. (owner of Friendly) in July once all the debris is cleared. Starmount is expanding Friendly Shopping Center onto that property.

Here is the conceptual site plan for it:

Starmount's preliminary layout for the more than $50 million development shows 260,000 square feet of stores covering most of the tract, with' 100 homes - probably condominiums - at Hobbs Road and Northline Avenue.

Office space could go on the first floor of the condominium building. The plan, which could change, calls for up to 325,000 square feet of retail and office space.

"We've looked at about 15 drawings, and pretty much come down on the side of one," Porterfield said. "But even that's premature because we haven't gone out into the market to see how many tenants we could put in it" City Councilwoman Florence Gatten, whose district includes Friendly Center, said the council has "real concerns" about how the comprehensive plan is interpreted, and said it's not the "litmus test" for approval "If things are not in harmony with what's around it, it's not something this council person will support," said Gatten, who had not yet studied the proposal "I hope that once we see the drawings and plans it's something we can get excited about because it represents substantial new investment"

News & Record
Driving past on Friendly Avenue.

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
Buildings like this one are the ones a few years from now we will look back on as sad losses. I agree with Walter Bost that it could've been incorporated into the shopping center as an interesting focal point. This building was also an important part of Greensboro's history and its identity, as the headquarters for Burlington Industries during Greensboro's big textile days. I don't think there are any more historic Burlington Industries buildings still standing in Greensboro? The 60's and early 70's are often misunderstood in art and architecture. It was a time of art through simplicity. Only now are we just starting to accept architecture and yes some art of that time. At least the old Wachovia Building will be saved and restored. Even though the styles demolished have changed, the way people react to the event is still the same. Excitement over the final event, those wanting to save it, those who feel it's time is up and those a few years down the road who wish it was still there.

Thanks for sharing this! It was fun to watch, even if I don't agree with demolishing it. I also like the history of the building given at one of the links. I was there for D. H. Griffith's demolition of the old Atlanta Fulton County Stadium in 1997. I didn't want to see it go for the memories, but I don't think it was really worth saving.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are absolutely right Matt and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The News & Record ran an article today about the future development. Starmount said the development will be built similar to Southpoint in Durham. As far as shopping centers go, this is good news, however I would have still preferred the office building as is. Oh well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The building contained asbestos and the HVAC system needed to be replaced from what I heard. The cost of re-using the building would have been very expensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts