Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you're not yet fed up with Greensboro threads. This little thread will be in two parts and show some of
downtown Greensboro. Comments and/or corrections are always welcome.

Together with Winston-Salem and High Point, Greensboro forms a metropolitan area with about
1.5 million people.

Elm Street.

First Citizens Bank on the corner of Elm St. and Market St.

The Kress Building.

The Jefferson Pilot Building.

The Wachovia Tower.

West Market Street United Methodist Church.

United States Post Office and Court House.

The Carolina Theatre.

Blandwood Mansion is an A. J. Davis designed Tuscan Villa.

At the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University College (NC A&T SU) stands
the famous A&T Four Statue, which commemorates four students, who on February 1, 1960
carried out a lunch counter sit-in at the F.W. Woolworth Co.'s segregated lunch counter.
This statue was designed to remember this turning point and the struggles that followed.

Broach Theatre.

Greensboro Historical Museum

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for the post!..Trust me we see more other city threads here than Greensboro..so they are welcomed :) Great pics!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ Cool, I was just afraid there were too many (5 of the threads on the first page are from Greensboro :)) and thanks, Cityboi.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Greensboro has a lot of nice intact facades along Elm Street; they are real gems.

The First Citizens Bank building would be cool if it weren't such a failure at street level.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
The photos are excellent :eek:kay: I think that every time I see GSO there is something new, something I missed. Wait until I hit you with my photos. That will, most definitely, make you sick and tired of this city :lol: Personally, I love the good work that has been done, particularly along Elm Str although it would be unfair to ignore many other nice areas in Greensboro. I recommend a drive along Aycock Str for some pretty nice neighborhoods. I don't mean expensive, but rather walkable and denser areas than the usual.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments, all!

@Raleigh-NC: I didn't have much time to explore the other nice areas of Greensboro, unfortunately.

Time for the second and last part.

----------

The Wachovia Tower and the US Trust Center.

The short-story writer William Sydney Porter, who is also known as O. Henry was born in
Greensboro. Outside the US Trust Center you can find some statues dedicated to him.

Greensboro Cultural Center.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. monument, which basically says that he was supposed to come to
Greensboro but canceled and stayed in Memphis where he was a assassinated. Talk about an
unfortunate decision.

The AT&T Building and communications tower.

A neoclassical facade on this building on West Market Street.

The Millennium Gate.

Renaissance Plaza.

Natty Greene's.

The C.J. Kern Building.

Center City Park.

The Jefferson Pilot Building and the Wachovia Tower in the background.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Nice tour! as long as ive been in Greensboro I didnt know this was here

You know tho old O'Henry Hotel use to be across the street from the stature of Sidney Porter where the Bellmeade parking deck is.

The Old O'Henry hotel (demolished in 1979) its ashame they demolished it. I was a year old back then. But the new O'Henry is nice

The inside kinda reminds me of that hotel in the movie "The Shining"

Now the parking deck to the right sits there

Of course they built a newer O'Henry Hotel about 2 miles west of downtown.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
^^
Not to get cocky, but I loved that last photo. Yes, I know, I took it :) Somehow, the fog makes a place look very attractive to me. It was a Monday night when I took that photo and I remember seeing some decent activity along Elm Str, although it was raining.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
^^
Not to get cocky, but I loved that last photo. Yes, I know, I took it :) Somehow, the fog makes a place look very attractive to me. It was a Monday night when I took that photo and I remember seeing some decent activity along Elm Str, although it was raining.
nice! photo didnt no you took it. I so it posted on the Greensboring website a while ago.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
DenverDane, GREAT pics of "Philly 'South'"......uh.....I mean Greensboro ;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@cityboi: Thanks, you learn something new every day. :) Yes, the old O'Henry hotel sure looked better than that parking garage. I wonder what made them demolish it?

@triadcat: Thanks! I didn't get the last part. Why did you call it Philly 'South'?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
@cityboi: Thanks, you learn something new every day. :) Yes, the old O'Henry hotel sure looked better than that parking garage. I wonder what made them demolish it?

@triadcat: Thanks! I didn't get the last part. Why did you call it Philly 'South'?
unfortunatly the 1970s was a time when city leaders said out with the old and in with the new. Times have obviously changed now but back then people didnt see the value in something old. That wasnt the only hotel that was demolished in downtown Greensboro. the 13-story King Cotton Hotel was demolished in 1971. The hotel was built in 1926 and was located at the corner of Davie and East Market Streets (Where the News & Record is now)

·
Registered
168 Posts
They also called High Point Little Chicago. It was a very tough town back in the 40's they say.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I was mostly being a jackass:lol:
But my dad did tell me that he had a friend from Delaware back in college who commented on it. This guy saw DT Greensboro and told my dad that it reminded him of Philly. I guess he thought it like a tiny piece of DT Philly or something.......architecture, buildings, DT street layout.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts