Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, it won't be downtown. McChesney proposes to cover about 75 acres at The Point development at the intersection of Woodruff Road and I-85 with 500,000 square feet of new shopping, 600,000 square feet of new office space, a 420-room hotel, 1,225 condos and 1,125 apartments.

WYFF showed renderings on their newscast earlier and it looked awesome. Very similiar to Virginia Beach Town Center or Atlantic Station, just on a smaller scale. Hopefully, they'll be on their website later: http://www.wyff4.com/news/13414795/detail.html

Greenville News article: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070530/BUSINESS/705300373/1004/NEWS01

Original story from March: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070321/BUSINESS/70321019/0/NEWS06
-Shay Eskew, McChesney's development director, said the project would be akin to downtown Greenville in character, but without the larger office towers. On the side of the site that runs along I-85, McChesney envisions an entertainment complex with a fitness center, a condominium tower with shops on the ground floor, two or more eight- to 12-story office towers, and the hotel, Eskew said. In the center of the development, the company plans a linear park between one-eighth and one-fourth of a mile long. On both sides of the park would be three- to four-story buildings with shopping on the ground floors and housing on higher stories. On the area of the site closest to the Sticky Fingers restaurant that is at The Point, McChesney plans housing in buildings three to four stories tall, Eskew said. He said the company plans to develop housing units available for rent or purchase.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Just imagine how many towers and how tall they would be if he did build downtown. But its a great development. Hopefuly the entertainment complex part of it wont take too much away from downtown.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I totally agree with cityboi. Great investments must be made all over the city, not just downtown. The latter should outshine the rest of the city, but the entire city must be a great place for investments. Good news, regtardless of location.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There are still many developements that are going on in the city. Im working on the one called mcbee station right now. When it is done it will be a gem for greenville downtown. We are also going to start the 9 story building soon along with the scaled down peacock. The salvation army kroc center. The pinnacle hopefully. That is just a few things going on.

·
Registered
566 Posts
^^^Yeah....it will be interesting to see if they just keep building once this thing starts up. There is going to be so much growth in this area i see it as a catalyst for even more and bigger/taller growth. Hopefully thats what will happen.

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Expect a website regarding this development to be up and running within the next month. The project will consist of 4.5 million square feet of retail, office, residential and hotel space when complete. Also, there are no absolutes on the number of hotel rooms to be built at one time even though the articles state a 420-room one. As the project unfolds, the market will determine the timing and needs for the hospitality. It could easily unfold in phases over a period of years. All of this information is directly from an email a person at McChesney Investment Advisors sent me.

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There will be approximately 9,720 parking spaces primarily in parking structures such as garages. The massing of the property will range from eight to twelve story office and condo buildings fronting Carolina Point Parkway stepping down to townhouses fronting Market Point Drive.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
That is a HUGE plan. I really like it. You didn't mention anything about the later pages, where examples of what the developers want to see are included. Granted the photos are not clear in that document, you can tell that they think big and mixed-use. Can't wait for the official website ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
yep and if the rumor that was let out today about a new state tallest building is true then Greenville really will be on fire.

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the site that this development will go on at the Point. The large office building you see will be torn down. It is scheduled to be demolished this December:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Make way for BIGGER and BETTER things! I'm surprised we haven't seen or been able to get our hands on any of those renderings. They looked spectacular. :banana:

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Make way for BIGGER and BETTER things! I'm surprised we haven't seen or been able to get our hands on any of those renderings. They looked spectacular. :banana:
By July 4th, you should be able to see those renderings and site plans for this development if what I received in my email is true. ;)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
That's a perfectly good building. Wasn't there any way for at least a portion of it to be incorporated into the development?

·
Registered
566 Posts
That's a perfectly good building. Wasn't there any way for at least a portion of it to be incorporated into the development?
Not for the kind of density they desire. The building looks great from this side, but the back side of it is still open to the outdoors and the steel is rusting. It's exactly what we don't want more of-- the sprawling lowrises in the suburbs. One down more to go... :cheers:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts