Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a proposed $290 million, 200 acre, urban village divided into two sections at the intersection of Highway 14 and I-85 right on the Greenville/Spartanburg County line in Greer: Dillard Creek Commons Power Center and Creekside Village Lifestyle Center. Combined they will total 1.32 million square feet and 3,600 parking spaces. That's bigger than Haywood Mall in Greenville. It could create up to 2,000 jobs and offer parks, shops, food stores, a cinema, hotel conference center complex, restaurants, office space, department stores, nature exhibits, recreational activities, furniture stores, and automotive, marine craft and aircraft retail according to the developers. Its timeline goes through 2010. The power center is expected to include a Bass Pro Shops and possibly a Super-Target. The GSP Airport Environs Planning Commission is supervising the project and it is being developed by Collett and Associates. Exact site location: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/assets/gif/BS63922228.GIF

Dillard Creek Commons Power Center (100.6 acres)-
• office buildings
• Bass Pro Shops and possibly a Super-Target
• retail space
• a movie theater
• department stores
• a few restaurants
• hotel conference center complex

Creekside Village Lifestyle Center (68.6 acres)-
• "a number" of residences
• retail shops
• restaurants
• hotel(s) possibly

Other details-
• Ten outparcels on the property along Highway 14 will remain unused to allow for future growth
• "Several" acres will be left as green space
• The State Legislature did not approve $1 million in the budget to create a frontage road to connect the project to Brockman-Mclimon Road, but it will not affect the proposed project
-----

A public announcement regarding the project is expected around mid-summer: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070504/GGN/705040301/1004/NEWS01

Rumors have been swirling that anchors such as Super-Target, Belk, and JC Penney will locate here. The Spartanburg Herald-Journal says local officials are trying to lure Bass Pro Shops to anchor the development: http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070301/NEWS/703010357/1051/NEWS01 and
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20070622/NEWS/706220347/1062

Other articles regarding this proposed development:
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704040388

http://m.greenvilleonline.com/detail.jsp?key=23934&rc=ne&full=1

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
New proposals keep you busy, g-man. You must admit it, though. Without all those Red Bull's you wouldn't be able to stay up all night and post the news :lol: Thanks for doing this. Personally, I cheer for you guys :eek:kay:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Great News! While everything cant be done downtown, the stuff thats not being done downtown is great planning!

·
Registered
566 Posts
^^^I do believe it has a trickle affect that affects downtown. It will draw in more people which will be attracted to downtown and want to live there.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
^Well then, let's get some light rail up and running and get the party started. ;)

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
^^Information on this bill:

A.
Section 12-61-6520(14) of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
“Tourism or recreational facility” also means an aquarium or natural history exhibit or museum located within or directly contiguous to an extraordinary retail establishment as defined below. An extraordinary retail establishment is a single store located in South Carolina within two miles of an interstate highway or in a county with at least three and one-half million visitors a year, and it must be a destination retail establishment which attracts at least two million visitors a year with at least thirty-five percent of those visitors traveling at least fifty miles to the establishment. The extraordinary retail establishment must have a capital investment of at least twenty-five million dollars including land, buildings and site prep preparation costs, and one or more hotels must be built to service the establishments with establishment within three years of occupancy. Only establishments which receive a certificate of occupancy after July 1, 2006 qualify. The Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism shall determine and annually certify whether a retail establishment meets these criteria and its judgment is conclusive. The extraordinary retail establishment annually must collect and remit at least two million dollars in sales taxes but is not required to collect or remit admission taxes.”

B.
Section 12-21-6590 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
(A) The Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism may designate no more than four extraordinary retail establishments as defined in Section 12-21-6520(14), and for purposes of this section, sales taxes must be substituted for admissions taxes wherever admission tax appears in this Tourism Infrastructure Admissions Tax Act. For purposes of this section, additional infrastructure improvements include any aquarium or natural history exhibits or museum located within or directly contiguous to the extraordinary retail establishment which are dedicated to public use and enjoyment under such terms and conditions as may be required by the municipality or county in which they are located. Additional infrastructure improvements shall also include site prep, construction of real or personal property, parking, roadways, ingress and egress, utilities and other expenditures on the extraordinary retail establishment which directly support or service the aquarium or natural history museum or exhibits. The certification application made under this section must be executed by both the extraordinary retail establishment as well as the county or municipality.
(B) Prior to the completion of an extraordinary retail establishment, an entity may request that the county or municipality in which the facility is located provide an application for conditional certification to the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism. The Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism may grant conditional certification to the entity as an extraordinary retail establishment based on reasonable projections that the facility will meet the requirements of Section 12-21-6520(14) within three years of the certificate of occupancy. If the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism grants the conditional certification to the entity as an extraordinary retail establishment, it shall forward the approval for conditional certification to the department. The department shall notify the entity and either the county or the municipality, as applicable, of the approval.
An applicant obtaining conditional certification as an extraordinary retail establishment under this section and satisfying the requirements of conditional certification by the dates provided therein, shall be deemed to satisfy all of the requirements of this article pertaining to qualification as an extraordinary retail establishment for the duration of the benefit period. The entity shall be deemed to constitute a major tourism or recreation facility under Section 12-21-6520(12) and shall be entitled to all of the benefits of this article for the duration of the benefit period without any further certification requirements. This subsection shall not be construed to allow an applicant to receive the benefits provided in this article prior to satisfying the requirements of the conditional certification and of

Section 12-21-6520(14).
The Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism shall develop application forms and adopt guidelines governing the conditional certification process.

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Almost everybody on UP is against tax incentives for BPS or Cabela's. I'm not one of them. :)

·
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan
1,844 Posts
The only developments, imo, that should get tax incentives are those that bring high-paying jobs to the state. Tourism does NOT bring the kinds of jobs we need in South Carolina. We have enough minimum wage-type jobs as it is. Bass Pro Shops? Give me a break.

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only developments, imo, that should get tax incentives are those that bring high-paying jobs to the state. Tourism does NOT bring the kinds of jobs we need in South Carolina. We have enough minimum wage-type jobs as it is. Bass Pro Shops? Give me a break.
Can I just say that I love this state and tax incentives for BPS. Yes, i'm one of the few who think BPS and Cabela's should get tax incentives, but I love their stores and really want one to be built here. :)

·
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan
1,844 Posts
G-man, what does it add to the economy of South Carolina for those 2 retailers to locate here that would make them worthy of tax incentives. If you like them so much, shop there online.

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
G-man, what does it add to the economy of South Carolina for those 2 retailers to locate here that would make them worthy of tax incentives. If you like them so much, shop there online.
Nothing, except for tourist dollars. You have your opinions and I have mine. I like going into their stores and looking around and all of the neat stuff including the aquarium they have. Can't really do that online can you? ;) They won't build here without tax incentives and that's why I think the state should provide them to these two companies. I know pretty much nobody on here will agree with me, but that is just my opinion and i'm sticking to it. :) Here is a really good story on how tax incentives work for Cabela's and BPS: http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/sct0606/index.php

1 - 20 of 85 Posts