Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site next to the town's railway station is now underway with a 5 storey hotel, see report below:

Five-storey Grimsby hotel begins to take shape in town centre

CONSTRUCTION work is underway on a new 80-room hotel in Grimsby town centre, providing 40 new jobs. The five-storey Holiday Inn Express, in Wellowgate next to Grimsby Railway Station, will run under a franchise agreement and is expected to open in around a year's time.

It will be owned by Lincoln-based Brayford Hotels, which owns the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel in Lincoln, and will be operated by Leaf Hospitality. It will include 80 rooms, a bar and restaurant, and conference and meeting facilities, and will precede other new builds in Middlesbrough and Dublin in 2016. And, unlike at many hotels, those staying at a Holiday Inn Express are given a free breakfast each morning.

It is the second major hotel chain to come to the area after, in February, construction began on a 60- room Premier Inn hotel in Cleethorpes, at a cost of £8 million.

And initial ground works began yesterday to bring the new Holiday Inn Express, in the heart of Grimsby, to fruition.

The company has owned the site, the former Burton's Fiat dealership and more recently a car park, for around six years. There were plans for apartments before a fresh planning application was submitted to North East Lincolnshire Council.

Richard Farrar, director of Leaf Hospitality, said he was confident the site, just yards from the railway station, was "one of the best" locations for a hotel in Grimsby.

"We can't wait to open and to get the build finished quickly and safely," he said.

"This is a great location, right in the centre of the town and by the station. We are bringing jobs and a quality brand to the region and hope to play our part in this area's regeneration."

Philip Lassman, director of development for the InterContinental Hotels Group, which operates the Holiday Inn Express brand, said: "Holiday Inn Express is one of the fastest growing brands in the industry and the brand is doing really well in Europe.

"The brand offers friendly efficient service, comfortable rooms and a free breakfast – everything a guest needs and nothing they don't.

"It's truly ideal for meeting the needs of corporate and leisure travellers."

Mr Farrar continued: "We think the construction work will take about 12 months, and we will be working in as considerate a way as possible for the people of Grimsby.

"We are a local company and we all live within an hour of this area, so we have local knowledge."

And he backed plans for a new direct train service from Grimsby to London in the near future.

"Hopefully this hotel can be another reason why a rail franchise might like to operate a direct service," he said

courtesy of GrimsbyTelegraph.co.uk, dated 7 May 2014

·
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Demolition plan for Grimsby high rise flats

Hundreds of residents could be forced to move amid proposals to demolish six high rise blocks in Grimsby. Shoreline Housing Partnership launched a consultation on Wednesday to knock down the East Marsh flats, affecting 700 residents. The company said it would cost £19m to refurbish Albion House, Bevan House, Garibaldi House, Nelson House, Tennyson House and Thesiger House.

Ward councillor, Steve Beasant, said he was not told about the plans. He told BBC Radio Humberside: "I'm very angry. Residents were ringing me up last night and I had no answers for them.

"I'm now demanding a meeting [with Shoreline]. I want to know what's going on. The official consultation period has started and we weren't informed.

"To bring this on them all of a sudden is unacceptable."

'Unpopular stock'

Shoreline said the flats, which were built in the mid-1960s, have "become increasingly unpopular and outdated".

Demolition plans also include razing two maisonette blocks at Comber Place.

Chief executive Tony Bramley said: "Put simply, the cost of keeping the blocks is significantly more than the cost of removing them.

"We can't justify spending millions on aging and unpopular stock that could be better spent improving our accommodation, providing future services and investing in new developments."

Resident John Drinkall has lived at the site for 12 years and has objected to the plans. He said: "I'm getting on a bit and I really need a secure place. We're a good crowd here and we get on with each other.

"It's a nice place to live. I feel 100% safe here."

Shoreline said if the proposals go ahead they will help re-house residents and work with North East Lincolnshire Council on the future use of the site.

The consultation period ends on 1 August with a final decision scheduled for October.
c/o BBC.co.uk, 29 May 2014

·
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A new proposal for Cleethorpes sea-front.

Seems to be creating a bit of controversy as they've not seen anything above around 6 storeys in that part of the world. This proposal which is small by city standards will seem like skyscrapers to the 'small town' locals :lol:

Public yet to be convinced by 'One Cleethorpes' high-rise plan, claim Lib Dems

The public are yet to be convinced by plans to build three tower blocks metres from Cleethorpes seafront, claim the town's Liberal Democrats.

Rising up to 13 storeys high, the 99-apartment 'One Cleethorpes' development has divided opinion amongst townsfolk and visitors.

Some have likened the plans to Benidorm and Legoland, while others think it could turn Cleethorpes into a "resort of the 21st century".

And now, amid the divide, Liberal Democrat activists Les Bonner and Roy Horobin are calling for "proper consultation" on proposals to build three towers on Grant Street wasteland.

"The area needs developing, no one doubts that," said party vice chairman Mr Horobin.

"That's really important, but there has been a considerable amount of opposition. There's definitely a sense that the flats will look awful.

"So I think we need a proper consultation. There are people who want to have their say positively. I think we should involve the public in these discussions."

Mr Horobin, who fought Cleethorpes in the 2017 General Election, said he wants to see developer Cielo Realty Limited round the table.

He said: "I understand that there has to be procedure. It's not about sabotaging something. It's not about being a nimby.

"But I have got concerns about the developer. I have been online. I can't find a website or any information about them. We would like these people to come up, listen to questions and try to sell their proposal.

"So far, it's not been good enough. We need a proper consultation so we get something great for Cleethorpes. Then I think we will end up with something really good that the community buy into. That's democratic.

"We need proper consultation early on - get the community involved."

The concern is in stark contrast to Cleethorpes MP Martin Vickers. Throwing his weight behind the scheme, he said it would show Cleethorpes is a "resort of the 21st century".

He said: "Thirteen storeys is very prominent. I would imagine some people would have reservations about that, but the principle of a new development on that site and the statement it makes about Cleethorpes is very important.

"When people arrive on the train, they see the beach and the pier. but they also want to see a town that's moving forward and the new development does that."

Elsewhere, Sidney Sussex ward councillor Hazel Chase likened the towers to "Legoland" and the "Costa del Sol".

She said: "My own opinion is that transforming Cleethorpes is long overdue and I welcome it. But making it look like Legoland is not the answer.

"Why on Earth do we need 13-storey buildings? We don't, and as far as being able to see for miles around, what are the developers trying to do? It's not a competition as to who can build the highest tower block."
c/o www.GrimsbyTelegraph.co.uk, dated 22 August 2018

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/cleethorpes-tower-blocks-high-rise-1918373

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is Grimsby keeping its HofF? I think we have been unlucky with the recent change of landlord, perhaps a bigger owner would have accepted Ashley’s demands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts