SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I was looking at a leaflet for "L1" showing the two phases of development and I was puzzled about how it interfaces with Lord St. I think that they may have missed an opportunity to flatten the south side thereof and perform a quantum leap in the quality of the buildings.

From Paradise St to South John St,untouched are the row of crappy bland 1960s shop buildings from McDonalds to the new Barclays,and from S. John St to S. Castle St,Merchants Court still stands.

Does anybody know if Grosvenor tried to buy all these too for demolition but failed for some reason,or if they didn't try,do you think it is a missed chance somehow? Or is this going to be their secret plan for 2009 once the novelty of "L1" has worn off and the rebuilt St Johns starts wooing the shoppers back?

I can see to an extent why Merchants Court stayed-it's still a good quality building and still looks a lot better than some 60s buildings,plus it may have caused too much messing to the Courts to pull it down [or to develop the site may have needed demolition of that part of the Courts behind it] but I don't see why that row of shops further down Lord St couldn't have been wiped [and the Halifax on Paradise St itself for that matter,already dated] from existence and replaced with something grander.

What do you all think?

[if this has already been discussed on the "L1" topic,sorry...but it's far too long to read!]

Dave.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
Hi all. I was looking at a leaflet for "L1" showing the two phases of development and I was puzzled about how it interfaces with Lord St. I think that they may have missed an opportunity to flatten the south side thereof and perform a quantum leap in the quality of the buildings.

From Paradise St to South John St,untouched are the row of crappy bland 1960s shop buildings from McDonalds to the new Barclays,and from S. John St to S. Castle St,Merchants Court still stands.

Does anybody know if Grosvenor tried to buy all these too for demolition but failed for some reason,or if they didn't try,do you think it is a missed chance somehow? Or is this going to be their secret plan for 2009 once the novelty of "L1" has worn off and the rebuilt St Johns starts wooing the shoppers back?

I can see to an extent why Merchants Court stayed-it's still a good quality building and still looks a lot better than some 60s buildings,plus it may have caused too much messing to the Courts to pull it down [or to develop the site may have needed demolition of that part of the Courts behind it] but I don't see why that row of shops further down Lord St couldn't have been wiped [and the Halifax on Paradise St itself for that matter,already dated] from existence and replaced with something grander.

What do you all think?

[if this has already been discussed on the "L1" topic,sorry...but it's far too long to read!]

Dave.

I guess they can only develop so much at any one time, maybe not enough money, too much extra risk, time, delay, cpo's to buy out business.

Better to let the current massive L1 build up and be successful, then expand across that Lord St block.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts