Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my top grot spots .....Edge Lane retail park, Stanley Dock are in the process of being developed ......but still plenty more to go.

CHINATOWN ......there's an opportunity here to create a vibrant new city neighbourhood that could give a shot in the arm to the slowly decaying Nelson Street area. I like the fact that they've seeded the area with poppies, but that's got to be a short term measure that smacks a bit of Detroit. Worryingly this area doesn't appear on the mayor's radar and surely we can do better than Urban Splash throwing the towel in and applying for a licence to run the site as a car park.

MOORFIELDS .....next to one of the busiest rail stations in the MerseyRail network you'd think developers would be falling over themselves to get it done. But complications with the underground and a Liverpool office market that's all but dead means I can't see anything happening here soon.

LITTLEWOODS .......I fear for this Art Deco masterpiece.....it's facade is crumbling away and it's not listed . Plans to develop it seem to have gone quiet....let's hope it's not allowed to fade away.

DUKE STREET WAREHOUSES .....why are these derelict ? surely these would be make a great boutique hotel.....look better now they have the Chinese artwork over the windows ....but on such a key route up to the cathedral ....why isn't it being developed and it's not even owned by Frenson.

SEFTON STREET .....the old John Troops building was a fine example of an old Liverpool small warehouse...despite being derelict it could have been saved....instead demolition loomed...the brick sold off and another patch of buddelia was born .....too much of this has gone on...heritage smashed down with vague promises of development and what we end up is another patch of wasteland.....a few blocks down a similar thing happened to the old highland Hotel. Heaps Rice Mill anyone ?

SHOPS .....this is a bit of a catch all but I think the city needs a strategy to tackle the huge number of empty shops in certain locations.....Wavertree Road, West derby Road, st Mary's road and Breck Road spring to mind ....think demolition of certain blocks to be replaced with housing might be the way to go and also provision of more parking.

On a positive note things are happening but what would be in your list of grot spots ?

·
Human Being
43,390 Posts
The problem with Nelson Street is that most of the buildings and businesses are already owned by members of the chinese community - but they seem to feel no compunction to make their businesses more inviting to the general public. It is almost like a residential street - and the restaurants seem mainly to cater to the traditional chinese community who gather here on Sundays. I don't know what can be done about that.

Maybe when the Scandanavia hotel building is complete and full of students - many of whom will be chinese, I suspect, there may be some incentive to do something.

·
Human Being
43,390 Posts
I'd like to add Victoria Street - the end nearest to North John Street is a dirty, dilapidated mess. The building that faces Matthew street, and that was supposed to have become a hotel - looks dreadful, all boarded up - and in a prime tourist area.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Lime st, easily. It is the first and last thing visitors to the city see, and increasingly so. The new steps where strewn with litter on my last visit with beer cans and general spillage stains all down them making the otherwise impressive sweeping approach to the station very grubby. Add to that the questionable use of the magnificent North Western Halls as university accomodation with students hanging out the window and sitting on the sills and it makes for a shabby entrance to the station at times.

Then we have Lime St itself - a run of generally bad architecture with the exception of the vines and maybe the futurist. Low scale and pretty much no use to anyone anymore except burger bars, sunbeds and irish bars.

But above all the biggest grot spot in the area is St Johns (including Clayton Square). This whole space is wrong and is one the biggest reasons why St Georges Plateau is largely empty and cut off most of the time. St Johns is insular, of it's day and obstructive. It's layout is confusing and added to that the low rise tat such as clayton square's Liverpool store building and the 'lipstick on a pig' advertising hoardings to cover up and we have a complex ripe for demolition. Oh I almost forgot, the BURGER VANS! One of these is positioned right at the top of those pointless stairs at Clayton Square and are an echo of a seaside heart-attack van in Blackpool in the height of summer and are in no way a good first glimpse of Liverpool.

I know a lot of city's, like Paris allow their underbelly to be the first and last thing visitors see but Paris, for now, has a lot more to offer than Liverpool to compensate, enough to make visitors forget. Lime St however won't be that lucky.

·
Registered
12,139 Posts
The problem with Nelson Street is that most of the buildings and businesses are already owned by members of the chinese community - but they seem to feel no compunction to make their businesses more inviting to the general public. It is almost like a residential street - and the restaurants seem mainly to cater to the traditional chinese community who gather here on Sundays. I don't know what can be done about that.

Maybe when the Scandanavia hotel building is complete and full of students - many of whom will be chinese, I suspect, there may be some incentive to do something.
Liverpool's "China Town" has always catered, mainly, to the local Chinese community and served traditional Chinese food. Chinese restaurants, mostly Cantonese style recipes, catering to the "English" taste could also be found in the area but, it was the traditional authentic Shanghai style cooking that prevailed in the Berry Street, Nelson Street, Frederick Street restaurants.

·
Uživateľ
67 Posts
Littlewoods is a big one for me. I was walking past it just the other day and thinking of what such a large building could be used for (probably multi-purpose). I liked the look of the adjoining Wavertree Botanic Gardens (they've even got a tea room now) and I also like the architecture of the nearby houses. There's definitely a lot of scope for that area, and it's quite close to town too.

The side of Lime Street nearest the station has nice architecture I reckon - it just badly needs a lick of paint.

·
Human Being
43,390 Posts
Many of the city's streets are looking incredibly grotty, stained & dirty - disgusting in fact. They require a deep clean. And so many streets are smelly - sewerage, decay....
I often notice people noticing this: watching where they walk - and looking very tentative, & very uncomfortable indeed!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I agree openlyJane. I live in the city centre and have noticed a steady decline in the standard of street cleaning - not just litter collection but as you say a general maintenance of the street environment. There is a section of the 'new' flagging at the bottom of Vernon Street outside the pub that has been very badly damaged I think during the construction of the Ibis hotel. The granite curb edgings are very badly chipped and the pavements are loose and frankly dangerous. This is just metres from Municipal Buildings - so if they can't sort it out on their own doorstep then God help us in more out of the way corners of the city. If anyone wants to email the council regarding that particular section then you will be backing up a few of my ignored emails on the topic. Going back to cleanliness - I was walking up Duke Street on Saturday morning and the bottom end near to John Lewis was a tip - a group of tourists walked towards me pointing at the floor and muttering to each other in French something which I can only assume, as I have very basic schoolboy French, were derogatory remarks regarding the amount of rubbish. I know it has been a very busy weekend, but this was around 11 in the morning, surely the cleaners should have been out blitzing the city centre of the previous days litter. The city centre at least needs a good deep clean as they have done in Manchester recently - otherwise all our best efforts with the golf, giants, International Music Festival etc will be lost with visitors taking home a memory of a dirty smelly city. You wouldn't invite guests round to your home and not bother cleaning the floors would you?

·
Fugly
11,331 Posts
The city does look a mess after big events (though shamefully, it's pretty shabby a lot of the time anyway), but this isn't unique to Liverpool. Ever been to Amsterdam after Queens Day? Never seen anything like it in my life.

·
Human Being
43,390 Posts
Is it Amey that have the street cleansing contract? Joe has mentioned recently that he's not best pleased with their performance.

The worst areas are Slater Street and The Ropewalks generally; Hanover Street - especially at the Seel Street junction; Paradise street - outside of Macdonald's; Whitechapel ( particularly disgusting and smelly); Matthew Street; Victoria Street ( vile); Lime Street; Ranelagh Street; Williamson Square ( water feature also not been working for ages - and would have been welcome in the recent heat); Berry Street; London Road.......

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Is it Amey that have the street cleansing contract? Joe has mentioned recently that he's not best pleased with their performance. The worst areas are Slater Street and The Ropewalks generally; Hanover Street - especially at the Seel Street junction; Paradise street - outside of Macdonald's; Whitechapel ( particularly disgusting and smelly); Matthew Street; Victoria Street ( vile); Lime Street; Ranelagh Street; Williamson Square ( water feature also not been working for ages - and would have been welcome in the recent heat); Berry Street; London Road.......
Yes, it is Amey. Joe has recently set them targets to improve their performance. Whitechapel/Paradise Street have always been smelly though. There's longstanding problems with the sewers in that area.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Those metal units on the lower end of London Road aaargh I hate them look like Mogadishu! The day they're removed I'm gonna set fireworks off and have a party.
Yes, what was the idea of those poky little, tin Wendy House units ? They might have been a novelty in a different location, but I always thought they looked odd where they are now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts