SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Population of Leeds is rising fast and the demand for new homes is growing, The population of Leeds is expected to hit 1m by 2032.

What do you think is the best solution for Leeds to grow into an even better, larger city.

Do you think we should encourage more people to reach for the sky and live in more apartments because we are an island nation, or do you think we should build more suburban housing on green belt land - or do both?

Where in Leeds would you want to see Suburban Housing Built?

Where in Leeds wouldn't you want to see Suburban Housing Built?

Leave your opinion below :)

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
It needs to be a mix of both, but areas need to either be rural or urban. Having strings of villages linked by retail parks is inefficient and creates a messy environment. This is the situation a lot of NW Leeds is in around Guiseley.

I don't think apartments are the way forward for the majority, but denser housing needs to be built on all the brownfield sites in the existing urban area. A lot of East Leeds is not very densely developed for example.

In addition to the East Leeds Urban Extension, new housing on greenfield land should be focused on filling in the 'mushroom' in SE and SW Leeds. SW Leeds is a real opportunity as it's so close to the City and motorways. A new junction on the M621 would allow for any housing in SW Leeds to have very quick access by road to the City.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SW Leeds is a real opportunity as it's so close to the City and motorways. A new junction on the M621 would allow for any housing in SW Leeds to have very quick access by road to the City.
Yes, this area below i outlined would be ideal for suburban housing, its actually relatively close to Leeds city centre and is in a good position located right next to the M621 like you say, It also joins up well with the suburb of farnley.

·
B*tch
15,107 Posts
I really want to see Yeadon linked properly to Leeds in the near future.

The thing about building new housing is that not everyone wants to live next door to certain areas.. do people want to live so close to Beeston or Belle Isle, or Halton Moor and Seacroft?

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
It works the other way round those. People in nice areas might not want to be next to poorer areas, but equally deprived areas will always be deprived if they remain segregated and cut off. If the city was better integrated, wealth would spread into deprived areas more.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
The problem with building in SE Leeds is that the motorways around there tend to be busier than the M621 in SW Leeds. There's also no railways, and NGT is unlikely to satisfy that demand.

I think it's more likely to see housing in the Aire Valley and near to rail corridors where developers can fund stations or quiet roads like the A63 ELLR.

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
Kirkstall Forge and the former Clariant site would fill in a lot of empty space in NW Leeds. Also proposals have now been put forward for 160 homes on the Bodington Hall site in Lawnswood.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
I don't know how much development we'll actually around Kirkstall and between Horsforth and Pudsey though as the council are keen to promote the 'green ribbon' through the city, which I generally support.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Ideally I would like to see Leeds city centre better integrated with it's inner surrounds again, so instead of a ring of deprivation and industry, there is a ring of a mix of town houses, apartments and parks, similar to the new Hulme in Manchester.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
I think that's starting to happen to the NW of the City, but Leeds' problem there is that the best road connections tend to be around Central Leeds. In most cities, it might be expected light industry would locate on the edge of town near ring roads. Leeds must be one of the few cities where it is actually quicker to go through the City on the IRR than around it on the ORR, and this is reflected in the land use surrounding the central area.

·
Registered
10,974 Posts
^Absolutely.

We need to revive our inner cities which have become post industrial wastelands. That means lots of housing in all different types and tenures, much or it affordable and designed to appeal to the first time buyer and young professional that works in the centre. This housing needs to be closely interwined with offices, retail and café space, studios and workshop accommodation so we get well integrated and sustainable neighbourhoods.

Not wishing to particularly promote one architect but Proctor Matthews do some great high density housing schemes suitable for inner city areas which respond to local context and vernaculars.

For example this is (was) for Kirkstall Abbey...

http://www.proctorandmatthews.com/project/kirkstall-valley-forge

....and this lovely scheme for a riverside site in Sowerby Bridge.

http://www.proctorandmatthews.com/project/sowerby-bridge

I'd like to see much more development of this nature in the inner city and less of the tall buildings in the middle of nowhere (City Island) please.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
that second one looks a little like the Yarn Street development which in terms of appearance and build quality seems to be a success. just need to knock down a few more warehouses and building even more housing :)

·
B*tch
15,107 Posts
Yarn Street still looks pretty good, and is a step in the right direction for making the inner city a more attractive place to live.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
Yeah I think Yarn Street is quite good. I'd welcome more of that in the City.

You're right though. The future is in those sort of housing developments. I have no problem with apartments, and I think they appeal to a certain market, but in general people still want houses.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^Absolutely.

I'd like to see much more development of this nature in the inner city and less of the tall buildings in the middle of nowhere (City Island) please.
How is City Island in the middle of nowhere? and what is wrong with it? it's a nice designed area that seems to get a lot of hate for no reason.

I suppose you've been watching Building Britain by Linda baker... just some propaganda program to try and promote the cesspit known as Bradford

1 - 20 of 36 Posts