SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
City Reformist
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say, I want to go to Toronto using public transit from Markham. How easy is it with bus and then transfer again to subway? I try to understand Toronto public transit... what happen during winter will it be a nightmare if somebody does not have car in GTA?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Or, if you want to use municipal transit and you're coming from Markham village, take the YRT Route 1 to Finch station.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Where in Markham are you staying? You can take Viva down to Don Mills Station, or even take a commuter TTC bus that crisscross the 905.

It's expensive though. Costs more than crossing 3 zones on Translink in Vancouver.

·
Registered
242 Posts
VIVA Green is the best bet from Markham to the subway...it's quite fast. It took me 20 minutes to get from Fairview Mall to Kennedy and Hwy 7.

If you don't live near any VIVA stop...have fun waiting...Route 1 isn't too bad though

Highway 7 is slow as hell so I'd avoid it.

And GO Trains only run during rush hour so poop on that if you're not travellingg during rush.

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
^ Im sure they run a bus or two. GO is for getting people to and from work though. Off-peak service isn't really in their portfolio.

·
City Reformist
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, Go Bus is for express bus between suburbs in Toronto, and once I arrive in Toronto I use local bus? Does the subway in Toronto runs beneath all Toronto or just downtown?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
GO bus is pretty much an express route. There are some stops depending on where you get on and off but it's the quickest way. Depending on what time you travel, you could also take the GO train, which is probably the quickest, but it doesn't run on all routes outside of rush-hour or on weekends .

Once you get off you can either use the subway or bus. The subway network is decent, but it all depends on where you want to go.The local bus system is easy to naviagte, frequent and reliable.

I'm not sure where you want to go exactly. If your more into the tourist areas then odds are you could walk using the PATH network in downtown to get to most of the places, but the subway service downtown is excellent so you could you that too. If you want to visit people in the more suburban areas of TO then you'll need to take the subway but that almost stretches from one end of TO to the other, and from there you can easily connect to any bus route. I think there are only like 2 bus routes in TO that don't connect to a subway station and those I think are both seasonal routes to the Zoo.

Really, TO on transit is pretty easy to get around. You'll probably want to check out the TTC website and plan out your route(s) before hand though because on the spot planning can get stressful. One downside is that the TTC website is such crap and is hard to get around- trust me- the actual system is easy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you've got access to Viva, check out their routes and see if they are any use to you. I take trips out to Newmarket regularly, and from Toronto it only costs $3.50 each way, or something around that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts