1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Shenzhener
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guangdong is most urbanized province, says report
By Jonathan Yeung (China Daily)
Updated: 2007-05-12 05:49

SHENZHEN: Guangdong is China's most urbanized province, with its urbanization rate climbing up to 60.68 percent by 2005, says a report from its construction department.

"It (Guangdong's urbanization rate) is also 17.69 percentage points higher than the country's average," the 2006 Appraisal Report on Guangdong's Urbanization Development says.

Related readings:
A forecast of GDP in Q2
Beijing's per capita GDP exceeds US$6,000
Guangzhou per capita GDP exceeds US$10,000
Guangdong GDP to grow 14% this year
The report is issued every two years by the Guangdong construction department, which conducts an urbanization appraisal of the province's 21 cities and the four regions of the Pearl River Delta (PRD), eastern and western Guangdong and the mountainous north.

The appraisal is based on up to 30 criteria divided into six categories, including a city's or town's centralized development level, living and services standards, environmental construction quality, harmonious development capability and key elements' mobility.

"Urban population in PRD region rose most to 77.32 percent in 2005, reaching the level of a medium developed country," says the report.

Leading Guangdong's urbanization process, the PRD region's per capita GDP reached 40,123 yuan (US$5,144) in 2005, which was 15,136 yuan and 26,179 yuan higher than the province's and country's average, respectively.

Its rate of output for non-agriculture construction land reached 219.53 million yuan (US$29 million) per square km, 1.72 times and 4.38 times more that the province's and country's average, respectively.

The Guangdong government set up a goal early this year of taking the PRD region's urbanization rate to about 80 percent by 2010 against about 65 percent for the province's average. "By 2020 PRD's urbanization rate will exceed 85 percent, while the province's average will cross 75 percent," a government official said.

The report shows Guangdong's urban population as a whole grew 5.68 percentage points from 2000 to 60.68 percent in 2005. "With the stimulation of industrialization a large number of people from the countryside and other provinces flowed into Guangdong's cities and towns," the report says.

"For instance, about 13 million of the province's rural population moved into its cities and towns in 2005."

The report indicates more and more economic resources are flowing into key cities and towns, a trend that is becoming increasingly apparent.

Urban population, per capita GDP and output rate of non-agriculture construction land of the key cities such as Shenzhen and Guangzhou are much higher than the province's and the country's average.

Shenzhen, according to the report, is the most urbanized city in Guangdong with an urbanization rate of 96 percent. It's followed by Guangzhou (79 percent) and Zhuhai (77 percent).

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Well, the per capita expression is useless when only a portion of the people are included. Who classifies as urban and rural in China is different from common sense, with a big overestimation of the rural population.

·
EOS 40D
2,642 Posts
I feel that Guangdong's development still lags behind the eastern region of Jiangsu/Zhejiang/Shanghai.

Guangzhou city is fine, but outside of that the rural poverty is glaring.

·
Registered
802 Posts
-Guangdong's GDP will surpass Taiwan this year.
-2 out of the top 4 mainland cities(in terms of economic) are in Guangdong---Guangzhou and Shenzhen.
-2 out of the top3 tallest mainland skyscrapers are in Guangdong.
-FoShan, the third largest city of Guangdongand, and Dongguan, the fourth city are now ranking at 12 and 14. According to their current GDP growth rate(around 20%), they will become top10 cities in the next 2 years.

By that time, 4 out of the Chinese top 10 cities will be in Guangdong.
In fact, Hongkong is also in Guangdong. If it is included, that means half of the TOP 10 chinese cities will be a single Guangdong province.

So it is very nature to call Guangdong the most urbanized province in China mainland.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I feel that Guangdong's development still lags behind the eastern region of Jiangsu/Zhejiang/Shanghai.

Guangzhou city is fine, but outside of that the rural poverty is glaring.
You are wrong. The pearl river delta, including Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Dongguan, Foshan, Huizhou, zhuhai...(and Hongkong) is the richest and most proposurs area in great China, no matter considering GDP or GDP per captial.

Shanghai and Beijing are also good, but they are not a city group/chain like the pearl river delta.

I bet the pearl river delta will surpass the Toyko city groups one day.

·
Airborne Sniper
302 Posts
-Guangdong's GDP will surpass Taiwan this year.
-2 out of the top 4 mainland cities(in terms of economic) are in Guangdong---Guangzhou and Shenzhen.
-2 out of the top3 tallest mainland skyscrapers are in Guangdong.
-FoShan, the third largest city of Guangdongand, and Dongguan, the fourth city are now ranking at 12 and 14. According to their current GDP growth rate(around 20%), they will become top10 cities in the next 2 years.

By that time, 4 out of the Chinese top 10 cities will be in Guangdong.
In fact, Hongkong is also in Guangdong. If it is included, that means half of the TOP 10 chinese cities will be a single Guangdong province.

So it is very nature to call Guangdong the most urbanized province in China mainland.
NO you are so wrong.

Zhejiang Province has the largest GDP per Capita number being 3400 USD (2006)

and top cities? by whose standard? you think if a city has an awesome GDP number than it automatically makes it a top city? gimme a break.......

in China there are only two cities that are on par with each other which are Beijing and Shanghai.

source:

http://www.china.com.cn/city/txt/2007-02/06/content_7767702.htm

"浙江人均GDP达3400美元 迈入世界中高收入水平

2006年01月26日13:33

本报杭州1月25日电 (顾复琪 记者 董碧水) 今天上午,浙江省统计局发布消息:2005年浙江省生产总值达13365亿元,比上年增长12.4%,人均GDP达到3400美元。

浙江省统计局新闻发言人王杰说,2003年浙江人均GDP还处在2800多美元水平,2004年,除直辖市外,浙江省人均GDP在全国率先突破3000美元。

“按国际惯例,人均GDP3000美元是区分低收入和中高收入地区的标准。”王杰说,进入中高收入地区水平后,经济、居民消费能力增长速度将更快。据了解,2005年,浙江居民城镇和农村居民人均可支配收入分别达到16294元和6660元,比上年增长12%和9.3%,扣除价格因素实际增长10.4% 和6.4%,而居民消费价格总水平涨幅比上年回落2.6%。 "

·
Registered
802 Posts
First, a top city is usually defined by economic factors.
-Zhejiang province has around 50 million people and its GDP per captial is 3400(in 2005)USD.
-The whole Guangdong province has around 100 million people and its GDP per captial is $USD 3509(in 2006), very close to Zhejiang province.
-However, the pearl river delta in Guangdong province has the same amout of people of Zhejiang province(50 million) while its GDP per captial is $6000 USD. Guangzhou's and Shenzhen's GDP per captial is $10,000+, twice or triple than Zhejiang.

Second, a top city should have the folllowing things other than a strong GDP.
1. International Airport
2. Subway
3. Foreign embassy
4. Skyscrapers

Guangzhou has
-Guangzhou baiyun international airport, the modernest and 2nd largest one in mainland.
-Guangzhou subway, the best subway and the second longest in mainland
-28 foreign embassies, 2nd in mainland
-The 2nd tallest skyscraper of mainland, citic plaza
-In the near future, the tallest building(Guangzhou tv tower) and the 2nd(or 1st) tallest skyscraper(Guangzhou west & east towers) of mainland will be completed

Shenzhen has
-Shenzhen internetional airport, 4th largest one in mainland
-Shenzhen subway, 4th or 5th longest in mainland
-The best Chinese telecommunication company(Huawei) and the best Chinese Internet company(Tencent)
-The 3rd tallest skyscraper of mainland, DiWang plaza.
-All cities in pearl river detal will be connected by subway.

On the other hand, none of the cities in Zhejiang province meets the above requirements.

When Chinese media talk about mainland TOP cities, they always use "Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou"(京沪穗), sometimes Shenzhen is also added((京沪穗深).
Every Chinese should know it very well.

NO you are so wrong.

Zhejiang Province has the largest GDP per Capita number being 3400 USD (2006)

and top cities? by whose standard? you think if a city has an awesome GDP number than it automatically makes it a top city? gimme a break.......

in China there are only two cities that are on par with each other which are Beijing and Shanghai.

source:

http://www.china.com.cn/city/txt/2007-02/06/content_7767702.htm

"浙江人均GDP达3400美元 迈入世界中高收入水平

2006年01月26日13:33

本报杭州1月25日电 (顾复琪 记者 董碧水) 今天上午,浙江省统计局发布消息:2005年浙江省生产总值达13365亿元,比上年增长12.4%,人均GDP达到3400美元。

浙江省统计局新闻发言人王杰说,2003年浙江人均GDP还处在2800多美元水平,2004年,除直辖市外,浙江省人均GDP在全国率先突破3000美元。

“按国际惯例,人均GDP3000美元是区分低收入和中高收入地区的标准。”王杰说,进入中高收入地区水平后,经济、居民消费能力增长速度将更快。据了解,2005年,浙江居民城镇和农村居民人均可支配收入分别达到16294元和6660元,比上年增长12%和9.3%,扣除价格因素实际增长10.4% 和6.4%,而居民消费价格总水平涨幅比上年回落2.6%。 "

·
Shenzhener
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Definition of Urbanism

===============================

New Urbanism

New Urbanism was a movement in Urban Design which started in the late 80's. New Urbanism believes in shifting design focus from the car-centric development of suburbia and the business park, to concentrated pedestrian and transit-centric, walkable, mixed-use communities. New Urbanism is an amalgamation of old-world design patterns, merged with present day demands. It is a backlash to the age of suburban sprawl, which splintered communities, and isolated people from each other, as well as had severe environmental impacts. Concepts for New Urbanism include people and destinations into dense, vibrant communities, and decreasing dependency on vehicular transportation as the primary mode of transit.

·
Airborne Sniper
302 Posts
First, a top city is usually defined by economic factors.
-Zhejiang province has around 50 million people and its GDP per captial is 3400(in 2005)USD.
-The whole Guangdong province has around 100 million people and its GDP per captial is $USD 3509(in 2006), very close to Zhejiang province.
-However, the pearl river delta in Guangdong province has the same amout of people of Zhejiang province(50 million) while its GDP per captial is $6000 USD. Guangzhou's and Shenzhen's GDP per captial is $10,000+, twice or triple than Zhejiang.

1. International Airport
2. Subway
3. Foreign embassy
4. Skyscrapers

Guangzhou has
-Guangzhou baiyun international airport, the modernest and 2nd largest one in mainland.
-Guangzhou subway, the best subway and the second longest in mainland
-28 foreign embassies, 2nd in mainland
-The 2nd tallest skyscraper of mainland, citic plaza
-In the near future, the tallest building(Guangzhou tv tower) and the 2nd(or 1st) tallest skyscraper(Guangzhou west & east towers) of mainland will be completed

Shenzhen has
-Shenzhen internetional airport, 4th largest one in mainland
-Shenzhen subway, 4th or 5th longest in mainland
-The best Chinese telecommunication company(Huawei) and the best Chinese Internet company(Tencent)
-The 3rd tallest skyscraper of mainland, DiWang plaza.
-All cities in pearl river detal will be connected by subway.

On the other hand, none of the cities in Zhejiang province meets the above requirements.

When Chinese media talk about mainland TOP cities, they always use "Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou"(京沪穗), sometimes Shenzhen is also added((京沪穗深).
Every Chinese should know it very well.
Man, first off you were comparing the richest part of Guangdong province to the whole province of Zhejiang. Then you used two cities to compare with a whole province again....

what is the point of doing this? it's like comparing a chick with a duck.

A top city should have? well excuse me, who said that?

IMHO, being a top city requires far more things than just those ecnomic factors, what, airport? métros? skyscrapers? and later you are gonna add things like International Shopping Center? Disneyland? Out-let?

Okay im gonna tell you, I live in Paris, which is probably the most beautiful city in the world(For this time, i do have to agree with the french, c'est quandmême la plus belle ville du monde. ). No one can deny that it is one of the top cities by international standard. But in Paris, you simply don't see skyscrapers. You will notice the same thing in cities like London.

Whatever you say, it doesn't matter what the foreigners think. On most global map, you will only find two cities in mainland China, which are Beijing and Shanghai, alongside with Hongkong and Taiwan's Taipei.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
1. International Airport
2. Subway
3. Foreign embassy
4. Skyscrapers
hardly, there are more important things to consider, for example, its cultural influence, its educational institutions, but economy is certainly one of the most important factors.

honestly I dont get the obsession some people have with GDP or GDP per capita, or endless argument about which province is richer or better when the difference is not that much to being with, both Guangzhou and Zhejiang are on similar level of development and are powerful engines for Chinese economy.

Jiangsu should catch up though.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am talking about city groups or city chains. The pearl river delta is way ahead of any other city groups/chains of mainland in terms of urbanization.
If you take a look at the 9 citis of pearl river delta on google earth or google maps, you can see all cities are very close to each other or even connected directly, which is the best evidence of urbanization.

You are just trying to argue with one of my points. However, you can't deny that a top city should have a good infrastructure such as international airports or subway that none of the cities in Zhejiang has.

No matter what Chinese cities are listed in global maps, Guangzhou and Shenzhen are always the 3rd and 4th most famous Chinese cities. And I know many people in NA know about Guangzhou, at least they know about Canton( the previous name of Guangzhou) since Cantonese was/is the most popular Chinese language in north america.

Btw, living in europe doesn't mean anything. I am living in Toronto and I visit NY and Seattle from time to time.

Man, first off you were comparing the richest part of Guangdong province to the whole province of Zhejiang. Then you used two cities to compare with a whole province again....

what is the point of doing this? it's like comparing a chick with a duck.

A top city should have? well excuse me, who said that?

IMHO, being a top city requires far more things than just those ecnomic factors, what, airport? métros? skyscrapers? and later you are gonna add things like International Shopping Center? Disneyland? Out-let?

Okay im gonna tell you, I live in Paris, which is probably the most beautiful city in the world(For this time, i do have to agree with the french, c'est quandmême la plus belle ville du monde. ). No one can deny that it is one of the top cities by international standard. But in Paris, you simply don't see skyscrapers. You will notice the same thing in cities like London.

Whatever you say, it doesn't matter what the foreigners think. On most global map, you will only find two cities in mainland China, which are Beijing and Shanghai, alongside with Hongkong and Taiwan's Taipei.

·
Registered
802 Posts
广东的城镇化水平继续引领全国第一,2005年全省城镇化率达到60.68%,比全国平均水平高出17.69个百分点。其中珠江三角洲城镇人口比重为77.32%,达到世界中等发达国家

The urbanization rate of GuangDong province is 60.68%, 17.69% higher than the mainland's average and continue ranking 1st. Note that the urbanization rate of pearl river delta is 77.32%, the same level as developed countries.
-----------
Chinese version
本报讯(记者倪明 通讯员吕洪清)广东省建设厅最新发布的《广东省城镇化发展评估报告(2006)》(以下简称《报告》)显示:广东的城镇化水平继续引领全国第一,2005年全省城镇化率达到60.68%,比全国平均水平高出17.69个百分点。其中珠江三角洲城镇人口比重为77.32%,达到世界中等发达国家
水平。
  据悉,每两年推出的《报告》,根据《广东省城镇化发展纲要》的发展任务,确定了城镇集聚发展水平等六大方面的30个指标,以此展开对全省21个地级以上市、四大区域的分项评估。评估结果显示,过去5年,广东城镇化水平显著提高,城镇化质量快速提升,城乡面貌大为改观。在工业化带动下,全省各城镇吸纳了大量农村人口和外来人口,2005年广东省人口城镇化率达到60.68%,全省约有1300多万农村人口转移到了城镇。

中心城镇双重辐射带动

《报告》显示,经济要素资源向中心城市集聚的特征更加明显,中心城市和中心镇双重辐射带动,城镇体系不断完善。以广州为代表的中心城市,城镇人口比重、人均生产总值和非农建设用地产出率远远高于全省和全国平均水平。中心镇的辐射带动作用增强,推动广大农村经济社会发展。

从区域看,城镇化发展的区域差异明显,珠江三角洲引领广东城镇化发展进程,成为全省经济社会与城镇化快速发展的“排头兵”;东西两翼城镇群雏形显现,区域协调性大幅提高;北部山区城镇化稳步推进,清远、河源、云浮等市承接珠三角产业转移取得显著成效。   

《报告》提出,全省城镇生活服务质量方面有待加强,特别是粤东、粤西和北部山区的生活服务设施和服务体系建设要进一步加强,其城市基础设施投入程度、市政设施供应能力、社会公共服务水平均相对落后。

·
Airborne Sniper
302 Posts
I am talking about city groups or city chains. The pearl river delta is way ahead of any other city groups/chains of mainland in terms of urbanization.
If you take a look at the 9 citis of pearl river delta on google earth or google maps, you can see all cities are very close to each other or even connected directly, which is the best evidence of urbanization.

You are just trying to argue with one of my points. However, you can't deny that a top city should have a good infrastructure such as international airports or subway that none of the cities in Zhejiang has.

No matter what Chinese cities are listed in global maps, Guangzhou and Shenzhen are always the 3rd and 4th most famous Chinese cities. And I know many people in NA know about Guangzhou, at least they know about Canton( the previous name of Guangzhou) since Cantonese was/is the most popular Chinese language in north america.

Btw, living in europe doesn't mean anything. I am living in Toronto and I visit NY and Seattle from time to time.

Guangzhou and Shenzen being the 3rd and 4th most famous Chinese cities... I am pretty sure there are a lot people out there won't second that. How on earth could a city like Shenzhen, which has a history of merely around30 years, be the 4th most famous city in China? Do cities like Nanking, Wuhan, Chongqing ring a bell for ya? Have you made a countrywide poll that can backup yer nouveau-riche type assessment?

Well, I don't feel like wasting my time arguing with you about something doesn't even matter, and living in Europe does mean that I have a better chance of knowing another western culture, which is different than that in North America.

You have the rights to say anything you feel like to, but please, quit making irresponsible claims and assessments as if you were the spokesman for all the Chinese or even all the human-beings on earth.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't need to argue with you. Remember the topic of this thread.

According to the latest reports, 5 out of the TOP10 richest people of mainland are in Guangdong. If Hongkong is included, near 80% of the TOP50 richest people in the great China area are in Guangdong.

Every evidence proves that Guangdong is the most urbanized province in mainland while Zhejiang province only ranks 4th in mainland in terms of economic and doesn't even have international airports and subway.

We are talking about urbanization and modernizaation, not history.

Guangzhou and Shenzen being the 3rd and 4th most famous Chinese cities... I am pretty sure there are a lot people out there won't second that. How on earth could a city like Shenzhen, which has a history of merely around30 years, be the 4th most famous city in China? Do cities like Nanking, Wuhan, Chongqing ring a bell for ya? Have you made a countrywide poll that can backup yer nouveau-riche type assessment?

Well, I don't feel like wasting my time arguing with you about something doesn't even matter, and living in Europe does mean that I have a better chance of knowing another western culture, which is different than that in North America.

You have the rights to say anything you feel like to, but please, quit making irresponsible claims and assessments as if you were the spokesman for all the Chinese or even all the human-beings on earth.

·
Airborne Sniper
302 Posts
I don't need to argue with you. Remember the topic of this thread.

According to the latest reports, 5 out of the TOP10 richest people of mainland are in Guangdong. If Hongkong is included, near 80% of the TOP50 richest people in the great China area are in Guangdong.

Every evidence proves that Guangdong is the most urbanized province in mainland while Zhejiang province only ranks 4th in mainland in terms of economic and doesn't even have international airports and subway.

We are talking about urbanization and modernizaation, not history.
Look who's talking. :eek:hno: Yeah, this thread WAS supposed to discuss Urbanization and who brought up the first GREEN GREEN DOLLAR OWNS YOU ALL shit, claiming Guangdong will surpass Taiwan blah blah blah ngyah ngyah ngyah kinda crap?

Do a better research before posting those irresponsible claims, Zhejiang does have its proper international airport which is Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport. We are next to Shanghai and we have convenient access to Shanghai Pudong Airport which serves as the gateway of Asia;

http://www.hzairport.com/index.jsp

Dude you are pathetic, your nouveau riche attitude just makes me sick. Who cares about how many millionaires are there in Guangdong, our big boss is from Anhui, does it mean Anhui's gonna own your ass? our province may be smaller and has few population, but we damn have a good economy just as good as yours, you've ever heard some peasant works from Zhejiang? you guys have a population equals that of Japan's, why don't you compare your GDP per blah blah blah with JAPAN? now cut the crap and enjoy your life.

·
Banned
407 Posts
Look who's talking. :eek:hno: Yeah, this thread WAS supposed to discuss Urbanization and who brought up the first GREEN GREEN DOLLAR OWNS YOU ALL shit, claiming Guangdong will surpass Taiwan blah blah blah ngyah ngyah ngyah kinda crap?

Do a better research before posting those irresponsible claims, Zhejiang does have its proper international airport which is Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport. We are next to Shanghai and we have convenient access to Shanghai Pudong Airport which serves as the gateway of Asia;

Dude you are pathetic, your nouveau riche attitude just makes me sick. Who cares about how many millionaires are there in Guangdong, our big boss is from Anhui, does it mean Anhui's gonna own your ass? our province may be smaller and has few population, but we damn have a good economy just as good as yours, you've ever heard some peasant works from Zhejiang? you guys have a population equals that of Japan's, why don't you compare your GDP per blah blah blah with JAPAN? now cut the crap and enjoy your life.
He he! You can ask 10 men in the world and 11 men say that Guangdong is better! :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
There are five internationl airports in the small pearl river delta
--------------------------------
2007年一季度主要机场客流
北京国际机场 1215万
-香港国际机场 1099万
-广州白云机场 724.71万

上海浦东机场 640.26万
上海虹桥机场 481.52万
-深圳宝安机场 498.50
成都双流机场 392.2万
杭州机场 263万
青岛机场 153.44万
-澳门125万
天津机场 82万
-珠海:23.9万

Subway length地铁长度
1. Shanghai 144.9 km (114km subway + 30 km mega train)
2. Guangzhou 116.0km
3. Beijing 113.9km
4. Hongkong 91km
5. Tianjin 71.6km
8. Shenzhen 28km
10. Nanjing 21.7km

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Definition of Urbanism

===============================

New Urbanism

New Urbanism was a movement in Urban Design which started in the late 80's. New Urbanism believes in shifting design focus from the car-centric development of suburbia and the business park, to concentrated pedestrian and transit-centric, walkable, mixed-use communities. New Urbanism is an amalgamation of old-world design patterns, merged with present day demands. It is a backlash to the age of suburban sprawl, which splintered communities, and isolated people from each other, as well as had severe environmental impacts. Concepts for New Urbanism include people and destinations into dense, vibrant communities, and decreasing dependency on vehicular transportation as the primary mode of transit.
Why do you give the definition of New Urbanism under the heading "Definition of Urbanism"? 'Urbanism', urbanised and 'New Urbanism' are not the same thing, and I don't see how New Urbanism fits into this debate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.