SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
122,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going through my old photos to see if I missed anything on the first try, and I realize a lot of my Guangzhou photos were never publicized. I've revamped my Guangzhou gallery on my website, and have gone through one day's worth of photos. Here are some from the older parts of this Cantonese-speaking Chinese city.

More Photos : http://www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/guangzhou.htm

Guangzhou was a major port for Sino-European trade. It was also the city that started the British colonization of Hong Kong. The anti-optium movement that started here caused two wars between China and England, which resulted in the birth of the Crown Colony of Hong Kong.

1. A typical old building

14. A lot of these buildings look really old ... to the point where they might fall apart at the next typhoon.

15. The pressure to raze and redevelop ...

18. Notice that some redevelopment projects have already taken place.

19. I posted this photo of a church in the Guess the City section.

21. Annoying smog

22. Pearl River Waterfront

25. Some interesting non-Chinese style buildings

How to get there?
For the non-Chinese speaking tourists, Guangzhou is connected to Hong Kong by KCR's cross-boundary rail service (3 hours). China Southern also operates many flights a day between the two cities, flying into the brand new Baiyun Airport. In fact, some Hong Kong tour groups are now using China Southern for their European trips via Guangzhou.

For Chinese-speaking tourists, there are several companies that offer bus and hotel packages. The best hotel in the city is the White Swan in Shamian district, but I prefer the Furama because it is right in the heart of the old city.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
I hope the city planners won't destroy all the old charming buildings and alleys.

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
They need to clean those up, and get rid of those Communist-era squatters.

·
A guy who won't give up
201 Posts
Love those pictures, they shows the other face of a Big City~~
Love China too^^
That's not too bad actually. If u see the other side of NYC, it doesn't make much difference~

·
Faith of the Heart
2,277 Posts
I'm planning to visit Guangzhou this summer, and I just realized that it's so close to Hong Kong. Do you need some sort of a visa or a special permit to get into Hong Kong from the mainland?

·
Dr.Med. Tom Green
5,278 Posts
Very interesting pictures.
Before i travelled to HK i made plans. I wanted to visit Guangzhou. But i had bad expiriences in Shenzhen and then i was afraid to travel to Guanzhou. If i had only more luck in Shenzhen i would travelled to Guangzhou, too.

I hope that during my next visit it is possible to buy in HK a train ticket to Guangzhou. It would be nice if didn`t need to change the train from Hk to Guangzhou, too.

·
122,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Great pics hkskyline

I spent a night in Guangzhou and it is quite an interesting city with beautiful old buildings, mixed with grit and pollution..but fortunately my hotel was near the riverfront, which has colourful lights at night with the bridges.

Theres also this very large Chinese restaurant by the waterfront with several storeys and live seafood to choose from where I ate. The babyface club is also quite swanky and modern.

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Tom_Green said:
Very interesting pictures.
Before i travelled to HK i made plans. I wanted to visit Guangzhou. But i had bad expiriences in Shenzhen and then i was afraid to travel to Guanzhou. If i had only more luck in Shenzhen i would travelled to Guangzhou, too.

I hope that during my next visit it is possible to buy in HK a train ticket to Guangzhou. It would be nice if didn`t need to change the train from Hk to Guangzhou, too.
I stopped by Shenzhen on my way to Guangzhou...Shenzhen is a newer city but I found it less interesting than Guangzhou...

buying a train ticket from Shenzhen to Guangzhou might be a bit of a challenge if you dont speak Chinese though.

·
122,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RafflesCity said:
Great pics hkskyline

I spent a night in Guangzhou and it is quite an interesting city with beautiful old buildings, mixed with grit and pollution..but fortunately my hotel was near the riverfront, which has colourful lights at night with the bridges.

Theres also this very large Chinese restaurant by the waterfront with several storeys and live seafood to choose from where I ate. The babyface club is also quite swanky and modern.
I wonder if we stayed at the same hotel and ate at the same restaurant. My hotel (Furama) was near the waterfront behind the Aiquin building. The restaurant overlooked the river and I had to go up one storey to reach the main dining area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts