Interesting that they build express metro and subway lines. In Europe there are also fast railway services in cities, but we don't call it a subway or metro line. It is mostly a real train line and could be even integrated in the regional railway service.
Until 2022-3, the top 4 largest metro systems in the world are in China, Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Chengdu. 8 of the top 10 largest metro systems in the world are in China.
Guangzhou Metro System is in the leading position of global metro system in terms of management, technology used and facilities built.
There are 4 layers rail transit systems in Guangzhou divided by operation speed:
1st layer: HSR connecting Guangzhou to near major Chinese cities (250-350 km/h)
HSR Operation speed 350 km/h is the fastest operation speed in the world, and only in mainland China.
HSR in operation:
1. Guangzhou to Wuhan HSR , operation speed: 350 km/h
2. Guangzhou to Shenzhen HSR, operation speed: 350 km/h
3. Guangzhou to Nanning HSR, operation speed: 250 km/h
4. Guangzhou to Guiyang HSR, operation speed: 250 km/h
HSR under construction or planing: (completed before 2030)
5. Guangzhou to Zhanjiang HSR , operation speed: 350 km/h
6. Guangzhou to Heyuan HSR, operation speed: 350 km/h
7. Guangzhou to Macau HSR, operation speed: 350 km/h
8. Guangzhou to Shantou HSR, operation speed: 350 km/h
9. Guangzhou to Yongzhou HSR, operation speed: 350 km/h
2nd layer : Intercity railways connecting Guangzhou to nearby cities in Great Bay Area, operated by Guangzhou Metro in metro system format (operation speed: 200 km/h)
Intercity Railway in operation:
1. Guangzhou to Qingyuan , operation speed: 200 km/h
2. Guangzhou to Zhuhai, operation speed: 200 km/h
3. Guangzhou to Dongguan - Shenzhen, operation speed: 200 km/h
Intercity Railway under construction:
4. Guangzhou- Foshan Ring intercity Railway , operation speed: 200 km/h
3rd layer : Guangzhou Metro lines connecting different districts in Guangzhou and nearby cities (operation speed: 80-160 km/h )
By 2022-6, 16 metro lines in operation, total length: 607 km ( ranking 3rd in the world)
15 metro lines under construction and planing
Line 18, 22, operation speed: 160 km/h (The fastest metro line in the world)
Guangzhou Metro System connecting Foshan Metro System with Guangfo metro line and Foshan metro line 2. In the near future, Guangzhou Metro System will connect to Dongguan Metro System and Shenzhen Metro System.
Guangzhou Metro System Plan （2018-2035）with a total mileage of 2,029 kilometers in three levels ：
5 High-speed metro lines (452 kilometers ), operation speed: 160 km/h
11 Express metro lines (607 kilometers ), operation speed: 100-140 km/h
37 Regular-speed metro lines (970 kilometers), operation speed: 80-100 km/h
Total length : 2,029 kilometers
4th layer: Tram lines connecting different locations inside a Urban District of Guangzhou
Tram lines in operation:
1. Haizhu Line 1, operation speed: 40-70 km/h
2. Huangpu Line 1, operation speed: 40 -70 km/h
Tram lines under construction and planing: 48 lines
From the above information, it is sure that Guangzhou has the most sophisticated and advanced rail transit systems in the world so far.