Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is one for architectural history buffs... what historical style was this office building emulating? What was the original building that inspired it? And finally... what city is this Edwardian office tower in?

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No..... but 1910 is close. It was in the Edwardian epoque, and was completed in 1913. Aside from being inspired from the classical style in question, the building was also influenced by a famous architect's style of the era. This elegant, graceful classic style was not particularly common at the time, but was popular in this particular city for office buildings.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, Beach Res was correct, the building is in Winnipeg. Perhaps he noticed me talking about my trip to Winnipeg a couple of weeks ago, but it was a clever bit of sleuthing! :)
Now, does anyone recognize this historical stylization, and perhaps even recognize the building that was the specific inspiration? I admit that is a bit of a tough question, but perhaps there are some super-buffs
out there who enjoy historical architectural trivia!

·
Optimum
9,977 Posts
Now, does anyone recognize this historical stylization, and perhaps even recognize the building that was the specific inspiration? I admit that is a bit of a tough question, but perhaps there are some super-buffs
out there who enjoy historical architectural trivia!
This is much tougher... a neoclassical structure in Montreal?

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is much tougher... a neoclassical structure in Montreal?
It is a neoclassical structure in the sense it has borrowed a style from a classic European period of architecture. But the building is in Winnipeg, Manitoba in the centre of Canada, not in Montreal. It is a tough question as to the actual design style, but I am hopeful someone out there is a big fan of architectural designs. :cheers:

If it is an unreasonably difficult question, then let me know and I will show another building from Winnipeg built in the same architectural style as this one, that is perhaps a "purer" example (if the term "pure" can be used to describe the adaptation of a classical style to a highrise! ;) ) .

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
When I first looked at the pictures I thought it was a building in Boston,there's a similar one there.
I would call this building's style as Neo-Rennaissance with Florencian influences.It has influences from Burnham's skyscrapers built during the Chicago School period as well
BTW what's the building's name?I love the details!:)

·
Optimum
9,977 Posts
But the building is in Winnipeg, Manitoba in the centre of Canada, not in Montreal.
Certainly I know this building, and I had even been there.

This is Winnipeg Electric Railways Chambers, next to Richardson Building.

I meant it could be inspired by an earlier neoclassical structure in Montreal. (I have no idea about Montreal in fact)

·
Resurrected
25,641 Posts
I found the archticts: Pratt, Ross and Charles S. Frost

From http://canada.archiseek.com:
The Winnipeg Electric Railway Co., a firm which operated the city's electric streetcar system and its first hydro-electric utility, constructed this steel-frame and concrete building. It is one of the finest buildings to be erected in the District in the Chicago School style as influenced by architect Louis Sullivan. The Italian Renaissance facades are of polished granite on the lower two floors with typical Sullivanesque terra cotta detailing, including lion statuary on the upper floors. The Winnipeg Electric Railway Co. was taken over by the Government of Manitba in 1953.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well done, boys!! Excellent job all round. It is indeed of Italian Renaissance detailing, much borrowed from Palazzo Vendramin in Venice.

The architects of the era were uncertain, stylistically, how to deal with buildings to house such strange and wonderful new things as Electrical Railway companies, so in Winnipeg the favoured choice was Italian Renaissance as influenced by the Chicago School. There are other lovely examples of this style in Winnipeg, but I will have to wait til tomorrow to post one as I am at the cottage relaxing by the lake!! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts