SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 4246 Posts

·
Andalusian
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's my turn to start a GTC thread! I hope you participate and enjoy it! :banana:

This new thread is called 'Guess the World Heritage Site' and, as you can imagine, it’s about declared World Heritage Sites by UNESCO around the world. I love this topic (I even write about it in Spanish Wikipedia) and I’ve thought it could be a great idea with a fresh air in GTC threads. I also like to commemorate the next World Heritage Committee Session, which will be held in Phnom Penh (Cambodia) next week, from 17th June to 27th June. Committee will decide which new sites should be in the World Heritage list.

There are nearly 1000 sites declared by the UNESCO. Most of them are cultural sites but others are natural or even mixed. Italy, with 48 sites, is the country with the greatest number just followed by Spain (44) and China (43). UNESCO classify the WH sites into 5 regions: North America & Europe (Israel included), Asia & Oceania, Africa, Arab States and Latin America & the Caribbean. If you want to learn more about this topic visit this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Heritage_Site ) or just ask.

As I’m the organizer of this new thread, I will post the photos and you will have to guess the site. Nevertheless, there will be some moments that I’ll ask you to post a photo if you want. Note that we will guess just MATERIAL sites, Intangible Cultural Heritage (such as flamenco, tango, Nobruz, mediterranean diet...) won’t be in this thread.

You have 3 opportunities for asking for the country or the region in the same post but only one for the site. Then, you'll have to wait for my answer or for anyone post to keep trying. Please, don’t ask more than 3 times in the same post (you know, just like others threads). And don't answer twice in a row. And please, please, please don’t cheat. CHEATING IS FORBIDDEN!

Of course, you will get points if you guess the right place:

• 2 points for guessing the country first.

• 3 points for guessing the correct WH site first. In some cases, a site is so wide that can join different points in a region or a country (such as 'Megalithic Temples of Malta). In these cases, you will get 3 points if you guess the site or the point but you will get 4 points if you say both!

• 5 points for guessing the correct place directly without having guessed the country first. And 6 points for guessing immediately just after the photo, without any other post. In this case, you will have to put the official name given by the UNESCO

Sometimes a site is shared by two or more countries. In those cases, if you ask for a specific country I will confirm it, but I won't say if it's shared or not.

You should guess the official name of the site called by the UNESCO, but never mind because after guessing the place I’ll write some information about the site, just to ‘teach’ you more about the site.

Moreover, I could post sites in tentative lists or sites that I think should be declared but are not included in any list. I'll warn you when it happens.

Here is a index of the guessed sites:

And here is the classification by points:

crimio: 307 points
WasabiHoney: 238 points
brazilian001: 227 points
narkelion: 129 points
Union.SLO: 94 points
Nikkodemo: 91 points
Monchhichi: 71 points
FAAN: 58 points
jeanluc20: 56 points
bozenBDJ: 48 points
alexandru.mircea: 29 points
ech wel: 13 points
Trupman: 6 points
OtAkAw: 6 points
Island Sloth: 5 points
Blazar: 5 points
castillo2008: 5 points
cernoch: 5 points
licenseplateman: 5 points
Sr.Horn: 3 points
-libra-: 3 points
The Punisher 1924: 2 points
MichaelVera: 2 point
Is everything clear? If it’s not, just ask ;)

Let’s start!

·
Andalusian
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here’s the first site:

'Renaissance Monumental Ensembles of Úbeda and Baeza' - Spain (Europe & North America) - CULTURAL - 2003 - #522 (Guessed by jeanluc20)

El Salvador, Plaza Vázquez de Molina (Úbeda) por jdelaobra, en Flickr

The urban morphology of the two small cities of Úbeda and Baeza in southern Spain dates back to the Moorish 9th century and to the Reconquista in the 13th century. An important development took place in the 16th century, when the cities were subject to renovation along the lines of the emerging Renaissance. This planning intervention was part of the introduction into Spain of new humanistic ideas from Italy, which went on to have a great influence on the architecture of Latin America. Renaissance Monumental Ensembles of Úbeda and Baeza in UNESCO website

·
Andalusian
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My hometown!

It's Ubeda right? Like many other people, you started with your own city ;)
:hilarious It is! I'm predictable! :lol: 3 more points for you. Check the points here

Exactly, it's my hometown, Úbeda in southern Spain, which was declared a WH site ten years ago with our neighbour Baeza. These cities are two of the most important Renaissance ensembles in Europe.

As I told you, I will write a brief resume of the site with the main tips, just like the following. In these resumes will appear: title - country (region) - type - year of declaration (and year of extension) - registration number in UNESCO and some information given by UNESCO website. I will edit the photo to add this info just below it ;)

·
Andalusian
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Next picture!

'Megalithic Temples of Malta' - Malta (Europe & North America) - CULTURAL - 1980 (1992) - #132 (Guessed by Nikkodemo)

Tarxien Temples por gbraschi, en Flickr

Seven megalithic temples are found on the islands of Malta and Gozo, each the result of an individual development. The two temples of Ggantija on the island of Gozo are notable for their gigantic Bronze Age structures. On the island of Malta, the temples of Hagar Qin, Mnajdra and Tarxien are unique architectural masterpieces, given the limited resources available to their builders. The Ta'Hagrat and Skorba complexes show how the tradition of temple-building was handed down in Malta. Megalithic Temples of Malta in UNESCO website

·
Andalusian
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Megalithic Temples of Malta!!
^^^^ :banana: 3 more points! Check the points here (Note that for these cases in which there are several places included in only one site I've changed the punctuation a bit. From now on, if you say both the place and the site [for example here with Tarxien and Megalithic Temples of Malta] you will get 4 points) ;)

In the photo we can see Tarxien Temples, which is one of the seven temples declared by the UNESCO as 'Megalithic Temples of Malta'.

See the complete information in the photo

·
Andalusian
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
'Ujung Kulon National Park' - Indonesia (Asia & Oceania) - NATURAL - 1991 - #608 (Guessed by bozenBDJ)

Ujung Kulon por ChAris Backpacking Journey, en Flickr

Canoe though jungle, Pulau Peucang, Ujung Kulon por ValleyNinja, en Flickr

This national park, located in the extreme south-western tip of Java on the Sunda shelf, includes the Ujung Kulon peninsula and several offshore islands and encompasses the natural reserve of Krakatoa. In addition to its natural beauty and geological interest – particularly for the study of inland volcanoes – it contains the largest remaining area of lowland rainforests in the Java plain. Several species of endangered plants and animals can be found there, the Javan rhinoceros being the most seriously under threat. Ujung Kulon National Park in UNESCO website

1 - 20 of 4246 Posts