SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hipster Scum
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea of this thread is simple. Are there any buildings out there that are universally hated yet secretly hold a place in your heart? Maybe you are one of those freaks who enjoys Brutalism, or you love a particulary tacky Pastiche or Po-Mo? Confess your sins!

(hopefully this will distract from the dick-waving on here)

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Nothing wrong with brutalism, other than the name. It's a shame people associate concrete with brutalism too - there are some fantastic modern concrete buildings that wrongly get labelled 'brutalist' because of the material choice.

I walk through some parts of Leeds University and the 'brutalism' on show is incredible - it's almost science fiction:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/linbury/3906945882/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesw-bell/293298680/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/linbury/3906168331/lightbox/

etc

·
Hipster Scum
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing wrong with brutalism
Sorry I create a distinction between Modernism and Brutalism. Of course there are great buildings from that period. I want to hear of buildings that are reviled by the public but that you personally like for whatever reasons.:)

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,454 Posts
I love Birmingham Central Library, reccommended for listing but likely to be demolished by a council intent on repeating the mistakes of the past and sweeping away its history :eek:hno:

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I love Birmingham Central Library, reccommended for listing but likely to be demolished by a council intent on repeating the mistakes of the past and sweeping away its history :eek:hno:

Such a shame - that's such a pretty building :eek:hno:

·
Maaaaaaaaarvellous
2,705 Posts
^^ I like that. And I think it demonstrates effectively that often what really makes a building look shit is what's happened to it since it was built, rather than any inherent failure of the original design. In that building's case, it's a simple and elegant design with a nice repeating window pattern that has been completely butchered by the mismatched glazing that's gone in. Imagine all those windows as clear, clean glass.

For my part I will nominate Brunel House in Cardiff, which a lot of people - even high rise fans - seem to dislike. Don't get it myself, there's much to like. The 'buttress' design as the walls flare outwards at the bottom, the long, thin profile. The sheer soar from many angles for what is not a particularly tall building. Just needs a good clean. I am slightly biased I must admit, as my father used to work on the top floor and it was the first 'high rise' building I ever went in - probably got me into all this stuff in the first place.

·
£€$$ is more
1,883 Posts
My guilty pleasure is Anderston Centre, Glasgow. Not the base only the residential towers. Bold and confident, I like the cubist appearance of them which breaks down their overall massing. Not liking the renovation they're working on at the moment, takes away their clear lines and simplistic identity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts