Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
x-posted from Gujarat Projects

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_gujarat-gets-500-medical-seats-in-a-week_1554425

Gujarat gets 500 medical seats in a week!

Those who wish to pursue MBBS, here is some good news. The state has got approval for 500 medical seats in a week's time from the Medical Council of India (MCI).

The state had received approval for 150 seats each in the Medical College in Sola and Adani Medical College in Bhuj last Thursday.MCI on Saturday approved 150 medical seats in the new medical college in Ahmedabad, which will be run by Gujarat Cancer Research Society. In addition, 50 seats have been increased in the Medical College in Bhavnagar.

State health minister Jay Narayan Vyas on Sunday said, “Gujarat would probably be the first state in the country to get approval for 500 new medical seats in a year. We are also expecting MCI's approval for the new medical college at Gotri in Vadodara. Next year, 500 more seats will be added to the state's medical education as medical colleges at Patan, Valsad and couple of other institutes will be set up in the state.” “I guarantee that no deserving students will be left out from pursuing medical education because of weak financial condition,” Vyas added.

“In fact, we are receiving offers from banks to open their counters at admission centres to provide education loans to deserving candidates. The state has taken up the mission to ensure that not a single deserving student from Gujarat has to go to other state for medical education,” he said.ic

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gujarat gets 2 new Engineering Colleges

The All India Council for Technical Education has approved two more self-financed colleges in Junagadh and Panchmahal.

These two colleges which are self-financed colleges will have the capacity to enroll 300 students each.
ACPC officials said three more colleges are pending approval and are likely to get clearance. The three colleges which are pending approval are in Banaskantha, Rajkot and Vadodara district.

This year according to ACPC officials, apart from new colleges, there was also an increase in the intake capacity in the existing college. In the existing 45 colleges, there was a increase of 2,500 seats, said the officials.

At present there are 44,219 seats in engineering which was over 6,000 seats more than last year.
Officials said that in the 17 government engineering colleges there was no increase in any intake. The capacity in these colleges remained unchanged at 10,735 seats.

Earlier the AICTE had given its approval for eight new engineering colleges across the state. This was first phase of approval. The technical body had in the first phase approved 2,340 seats in these eight colleges which will be situated in Khedbrahama of Sabarkantha district, Surat, Paladi village of Vadodara, Daheli of Amreli, Rajkot, Patan and Amod in Bharuch.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
x-posted from Guj Projects Thread

Gujarat to have one medical college in every district: Modi

Ahmedabad, Jul 3 (PTI) Gujarat government today said it plans to set up one medical college in every district of the state. "We plan to have one medical college in every district of the state," Chief Minister Narendra Modi said.

"The government has focused on making available best medical services to the people as a part of which 15 new medical colleges have been set up," he said. "About 2,115 seats in medical courses during last one decade have been added. In 2001, there were only two medical colleges and 500 seats but now it has increased by manifolds," he added.

Modi made the announcement while inaugurating a hospital constructed in association with GIOSTAR Stem Cell Research Institute of USA at an investment of Rs 35 crore here. The hospital offers stem cell transplantation therapy to the people. The state government has signed a MoU with GIOSTAR, USA, and has set up a special organisation with a view to free the tribal people of Gujarat from genetical diseases like Sickle cell and Anaemia.

Modi appealed the doctors to extend benefits of stem cell treatment to war affected soldiers requiring organ transplantation. "Government is developing the medical services sector on public-private partnership model. I am glad that stem cell therapy is becoming available in Gujarat as an outcome of MoU inked during Vibrant Summit," Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas said.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x-posted from Guj Projects Thread

Tech seats galore in Gujarat

It is like a blessing in disguise for students aspiring for a career in engineering and pharmacy, as Gujarat emerges the best place to be. This year, the usual brain drain of students heading out of the state might be reversed as Gujarat will have enough seats for wannabe engineers here and then some more.

Not just that, some colleges are actually offering discounts in the fee structure. The reason behind this change in attitude of colleges is best explained by the fact that colleges in Gujarat now have 33,000 engineering seats and 6,000 pharmacy seats to offer. Also there are five new colleges awaiting clearance with 300 seats each.

The 40 existing colleges too are expecting an increase in their intake capacity by a total of 4,800 seats. The increase in number of seats will be compounded with applications made by several colleges to introduce a second shift in the institutes. No less than 30 colleges of Gujarat have applied for the second shift which will add another 3,000 engineering seats. With the XII (Science) results not being quite up to the mark, the engineering and pharmacy college administrations are looking at a grim future with empty class rooms.

"This year 46,446 students have passed XII (Science) exams. However, not all will be able to apply for engineering courses. More than 5,000 of these students have scored less than 50 per cent marks -minimum qualification required for admission into engineering or pharmacy courses. This minimum qualification required, set by All India Council for Technical Education, is proving to be a bad news for engineering colleges, especially since the number of seats available are more than the students who are inclined to take up engineering," said an Ahmedabad-based engineering college administrator.

Principal of LD Engineering College and member secretary of main admission committee, M N Patel, said: "Minimum 7,000 seats are likely to remain empty. Students will be able to get admission with ease, without any donations. Last year pharmacy colleges had faced a similar situation with 3,000 seats out of total 6000 going empty. Students need not migrate to other states any more."

Trustee of self-financed engineering college near Ahmedabad, Janak Khandwala, said: "We are very apprehensive of seats remaining empty. This is mainly because of the hike in minimum requirement by AICTE to 50 per cent and the increase of seats expected. Rural colleges will be worst hit."

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
The quality of education in Gujarat seems to be lacking in quality. I remember an article in TimesofIndia a little while back saying that even principals of English-medium private schools in Ahmedabad were sometimes poor in speaking English.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/8944039.cms

City schools fail to make the gradeJun 22, 2011, 01.13am IST TNN[ Bharat Yagnik ]

AHMEDABAD: Nisha Mathew, a medical practitioner, was recently transferred to the city from Kerala. Her first priority after taking over her new assignment was to get the right school for her 16-year-old son. But, her "thorough search" went in vain. She had to send her son back to a boarding school in her home state.

Nisha said, "I went to many schools here and realised that the course curriculum in Kerala is much superior to Gujarat. What was more shocking was that many teachers in English medium schools I visited could hardly speak proper English. I was disappointed and worried for my child who is now in the class 11 and is preparing for competitive exams in the science stream. I did not want to take any chance and promptly sent him back."

This case highlights the dilemma faced by families that have migrated to the city recently. And, many of them have chosen to send their wards back to home states - a scathing remark on the poor quality of education and teaching standards prevalent in city schools. Samar Singh, a retired lieutenant colonel in the Indian army from Jaipur, faced a similar dilemma when he reached Ahmedabad. Singh is pursuing a PhD programme, Fellow Programme in Management (FPM), at IIM-A. He wanted his son to be in a standard CBSE school in the city. Singh's hunt for a "good school" for his son, who is now in his class 10, has proved futile.

"The search was quite disappointing. When I asked the schools about the quality of teaching, they showed me their pass percentage and the list of toppers. That is hardly an indicator as most students take tuitions. Most of the six schools we visited had hardly any trained teachers. I also felt that the education system here is more focused on co-curricular activities, less on overall education. My son is from Army school, Jaipur, and I find the level of teaching not up to the mark. However, I had to finally settle, rather reluctantly, for a school here," said Singh.

Purvi Shah, a homemaker, on the contrary was worried about the comfort factor and security in schools before she chose a school for her daughter. "These days teaching can be managed at home. But children should be exposed to a whole lot of co-curricular activities which shape their personalities. "

·
Maulik Shah
112 Posts

City schools fail to make the gradeJun 22, 2011, 01.13am IST TNN[ Bharat Yagnik ]

AHMEDABAD: Nisha Mathew, a medical practitioner, was recently transferred to the city from Kerala. Her first priority after taking over her new assignment was to get the right school for her 16-year-old son. But, her "thorough search" went in vain. She had to send her son back to a boarding school in her home state.

Nisha said, "I went to many schools here and realised that the course curriculum in Kerala is much superior to Gujarat. What was more shocking was that many teachers in English medium schools I visited could hardly speak proper English. I was disappointed and worried for my child who is now in the class 11 and is preparing for competitive exams in the science stream. I did not want to take any chance and promptly sent him back."

This case highlights the dilemma faced by families that have migrated to the city recently. And, many of them have chosen to send their wards back to home states - a scathing remark on the poor quality of education and teaching standards prevalent in city schools. Samar Singh, a retired lieutenant colonel in the Indian army from Jaipur, faced a similar dilemma when he reached Ahmedabad. Singh is pursuing a PhD programme, Fellow Programme in Management (FPM), at IIM-A. He wanted his son to be in a standard CBSE school in the city. Singh's hunt for a "good school" for his son, who is now in his class 10, has proved futile.

"The search was quite disappointing. When I asked the schools about the quality of teaching, they showed me their pass percentage and the list of toppers. That is hardly an indicator as most students take tuitions. Most of the six schools we visited had hardly any trained teachers. I also felt that the education system here is more focused on co-curricular activities, less on overall education. My son is from Army school, Jaipur, and I find the level of teaching not up to the mark. However, I had to finally settle, rather reluctantly, for a school here," said Singh.

Purvi Shah, a homemaker, on the contrary was worried about the comfort factor and security in schools before she chose a school for her daughter. "These days teaching can be managed at home. But children should be exposed to a whole lot of co-curricular activities which shape their personalities. "
Rubbish article.Most funniest line from article "I went to many schools here and realised that the course curriculum in Kerala is much superior to Gujarat. :lol:
One more joke from article
Most of the six schools we visited had hardly any trained teachers.
What does it mean by trained teachers? Teachers are not qualified?

·
Maulik Shah
112 Posts
The quality of education in Gujarat seems to be lacking in quality. I remember an article in TimesofIndia a little while back saying that even principals of English-medium private schools in Ahmedabad were sometimes poor in speaking English.
How you have judged Gujarat is lacking in Education?

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/modi-announces-another-institute-for-teacher/513701/-September 2007

Chief Minister Narendra Modi has stressed on making Gujarat an epicentre of quality teachers who take up the profession by choice and not due to the lack of alternatives.

Addressing the students of Calorx Teachers University (CTU) on the occasion of Teachers’ Day, Modi announced

the setting up of Indian Institute of Teachers Education (IITE) in Vadodara. It will be the second institute for teaching in the state after CTU.

“Like the setting up of the Indian Institute of Management (at Ahmedabad), Gujarat will now pioneer in producing world-class teachers who would be given handsome salary packages in future,” the CM said.

Former Chief Justice of India P N Bhagwati, who was in Ahmedabad to deliver the Dr K R Shroff Memorial Lecture at the university on the occasion, emphasised on the need for quality teachers at all the levels.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/times-of-india-the/mi_8012/is_20110422/modi-launches-voucher-scheme-skill/ai_n57333407/-April 2011

SURAT: Giving importance to skill development, the state government launched a voucher scheme for students on Thursday at the Gyan Shakti Utsav. The festival was celebrated to mark the end of the year-long Swarnim Gujarat celebrations.

Announcing the scheme, chief minister Narendra Modi offered vouchers to some girl students. "To give direct financial aid to students, we are launching the scheme. A student having the government voucher can take training for desired skill and the teaching agency will be paid by government only after the student clears a test for the skill," Modi said.

A large number of college and school students participated in the event at the Indoor Stadium along with faculty members. The event was organised by education department and Veer Narmad South Gujarat University (VNSGU).

Earlier, the varsity landed in a controversy as the examination of around 4,500 students scheduled on Thursday was cancelled to make sure that the CM's function was well-attended. The varsity officials, however, claimed that the exam was cancelled to keep varsity faculties free on the day for the event.

In his address, the CM announced a plan to set up the Indian Institute of Teacher's Education which will be at par with the Indian Institute of Management. "Aspiring teachers will get admission in the institute after completing school up to XII and can study up to post graduation. On completing the courses, the professionals will get a salary of Rs 1 crore and Rs 2 crore equal to IIM graduates," Modi claimed.
The CM also announced the setting up of a Children's University in which research for children will be carried out. The government is also working on Incubation Centre project where students will get opportunity to develop a model of a conceptualized product, Modi said.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Finally:cheers1::banana2::nocrook::nocrook:

http://deshgujarat.com/2011/07/01/modi-launches-first-degree-programme-of-iitevideo/-July 1 2011

Indian Institute of Teacher’s Education (IITE), set up by the government of Gujarat, has launched its first degree programme on Thursday. Chief Minister Mr. Narendra Modi, while launching the course said the state government has founded IITE with a view to cater for the need of great teachers. He exuded faith that IITE will prove as model for best teachers producing institute.

Speaking to the principals and faculty members of various universities, Chief Minister said that he envisages a great demand for the pass-out of IITE as it is the case with IITs and IIMs. IITE will prove as a live laboratory, experimenting in human resource development, he said.

IITE, a pioneering initiative to redefine the field of education, offers 4 years Integrated BSC/BA & B.Ed and 6 years MSc/MA & M.Ed programmes for the first time in India. The IITE aims to create and nurture transformational teachers.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gujarat to 42 new ME, MPharm colleges

There's good news for students seeking admission in masters programme in engineering and pharmacy courses. The state has received permission to start 32 new colleges offering Masters in Engineering (ME) and 10 new Masters in Pharmacy (MPharm) colleges.

This effectively means an increase of 600 ME and 200 MPharm seats. Officials said that from this year, 2,660 ME and 2,200 MPharm seats will be available for aspiring students.

The admission process for these courses will be initiated by the Admission Committee for Professional Courses (ACPC) from Tuesday, wherein students will be able to buy forms for admission. The students will have to appear for a Common Entrance Test (CET), the fee for which has been fixed at Rs 1,000.

The students will be required to fill and submit forms by August 3. The CET will be conducted on August 7-8. Students in the general category will have to score a minimum 50 per cent in the Common entrance test to be eligible for admission, while the eligibility for students in the served category has been fixed at 45 per cent.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some engineering colleges in Gujarat may shut down

The second round of admission to engineering and pharmacy colleges in Gujarat will begin by August 1. But given the scenario, experts believe that nearly 10,000 seats are likely to go vacant, presumably leading to closure of few colleges.

While a total of 6239 seats are vacant in degree engineering colleges across the state, 3469 seats are vacant in degree pharmacy colleges and 465 seats are vacant in diploma pharmacy colleges across Gujarat.

Principal of LD Engineering Colleges and chairman of Admission Committee for Professional Courses (ACPC), MN Patel said that few colleges may have to down their shutters. He said that so far around 10,173 seats are vacant for various engineering and pharmacy degree and diploma courses.

"We don't have enough candidates to fill these seats. Even if we wait for supplementary exam results the seats may not be filled," said Patel. He said that if seats are not filled colleges may have to down shutters as was seen with some pharmacy colleges.

"They did not have enough students to fill the seats and had to close down.”

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guj Govt recruits 13000 new teachers

The Gujarat government handed over appointment letters to 13,000 vidhya sahayaks on Saturday. Chief minister Narendra Modi's speech at the function while presenting appointment letters at Tagore Hall in the city was telecast at similar functions organised in various districts of the state.

The chief minister also told the teachers to not become complacent and lazy because of the security of their jobs. He emphasised on the need for willingness to do something in life as the lack of it can be disastrous.

Modi asked the teachers not to suffer from an inferiority complex as people do not have a good impression about government schools. However, he said that government schools do have the potential to produce good students and they cater to education demands of a majority of the students in the state.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Gujarat to get more hands in hospitality plans three institutes

In order to address the manpower crunch in the burgeoning hospitality sector, the Gujarat government is working towards opening more hotel management institutes in the state and has proposed to start an institute of hospitality management (IHM) at Patan in North Gujarat soon.

The proposed institute will be located in Patan and will be run by the Patan University, which has also given land for the same. With the growing demand for skilled professionals in the hospitality industry , the state government has plans of developing three more such institutes in different cities across Gujarat.

Gujarat government is actively promoting tourism in the state and now students from the state, who aspire to make it big in the hospitality industry, can now look home wards for fulfilling their dreams.
A highly placed source in the tourism department said, "Hospitality is an important sector for the state as we need a strong and employable workforce to take over the reins if tourism is to be developed here. Hence this move comes in the wake of the tourism ministry's many initiatives to increase the tourist footfall to the state and provide a effective workforce for the same. We have proposed a state IHM at Patan to this end. Once it is approved we are planning one in Surat (south Gujarat), one in Rajkot and one in Kutch. We have been communicating with the respective vice chancellors of these universities and they have all agreed to the proposal. So we are awaiting a nod from the Government's side to go ahead with the proposed institutes."

The state has registered a growth of 18-20% increase over last year's arrival figures. From getting Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan to become the face of Gujarat tourism through advertising campaigns, to tapping into adventure, religious and beach tourism, the state Government has plans of developing its tourism hubs in a phased manner. These hubs include are Ahmedabad Metro, Ahmedabad Rural (North Gujarat), Surat (South Gujarat), Vadodara (Central Gujarat), Rajkot, Junagadh, Jamnagar (Saurashtra) and Bhuj (Kutch).

"We have received the proposal by the tourism department to develop an IHM at Patan. Once approved if the Government feels that the proposal will infuse a regional balance with respect to the tourism needs of the state then it will invest upto Rs 12 crores for the same. It is in the process of being examined at the moment," said Devesh Chaturvedi, Additional Director General, Ministry of Tourism.

Currently the state has only one IHM in Ahmedabad that is affiliated to the National Council for Hotel Management and is sponsored by Ministry of Tourism, government of India and the government of Gujarat and offers degree, post graduate diploma and certificate courses in hospitality management.

·
Registered
709 Posts
That would be a good thing. I had to deal with quiet a few teachers named Matthew and sometimes wondered why the school bothered to bring them all the way from Kerala. Perhaps, This will convince Keralites to stay there and avail 'good' education in their home state.

: Nisha Mathew, a medical practitioner, was recently transferred to the city from Kerala. Her first priority after taking over her new assignment was to get the right school for her 16-year-old son. But, her "thorough search" went in vain. She had to send her son back to a boarding school in her home state.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.