Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys :)

I have a question,
For those who don't know, there is a construction and economic boom in the Kurdish part of Iraq. The most stable area of the country. Many companies have started to build and invest there.
My question is, is there any information or news that Gulf countries will start investing in Iraqi Kurdistan? I have heard many things about this and the last time I was in Iraqi Kurdistan, it was said that Gulf countries are planning a lot into this area.

I found an article:

Monday, 23 January 2006, London (KDC) - National Real Estate Company (NREC), one of the largest publicly traded companies in Kuwait, has entered a partnership with Kurdistan Development Corporation (KDC) to develop real estate projects in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.

The joint initiative, Kurdistan Real Estate Development Corporation (KREDCo), illustrates NREC's commitment to investing in strategic projects within the Kurdistan Region. The Kurdistan Region enjoys a level of peace and stability not seen in the rest of Iraq and is fast becoming the commercial gateway to the whole country.

Projects undertaken by KREDCo will include leisure and industrial developments such as warehousing, logistics and distribution centres, similar to projects already underway in Aqaba in Jordan. The first project planned to start in 2006 will be the development of a 104,000 square meters of land equidistant from the Citadel in Erbil, the capital of the Kurdistan Region, and the newly opened Erbil International Airport. The land will be developed for mixed commercial and residential use.

Ms Bayan Sami Abdul Rahman, Kurdistan Regional Government High Representative to the UK and Chairman of KDC, said: "For KDC to have secured a partnership with one of the largest and most highly regarded real estate and logistics companies in Kuwait, if not the whole region, is a significant milestone in the development of Kurdistan. The Government and the people of Kurdistan will benefit from the significant skills and expertise that NREC will bring."

Mr Jamil Sultan Al Essa, Chairman and Managing Director of NREC, said: "In view of our many other interests across the Middle East and in the rest of Iraq, NREC sees a tremendous opportunity within the relatively stable region of Kurdistan to develop a foundation for our business interests. We have chosen KDC as our partner in this exciting venture and through this partnership NREC aims to accelerate crucial development in Kurdistan - establishing the region as one of the most prominent industrial, trading and leisure centres of Iraq."

NREC developed the hugely successful Kuwait Free Trade Zone, which is attracting foreign capital to Kuwait, expanding the trade exchange and giving a substantial boost to the research and technology sectors. Other NREC flagship projects include the unique Sharq Sea Front Project and the Al-Joan Resort complex, both in Kuwait.

Kurdistan Development Corporation (KDC), a partnership with the Kurdistan Regional Government, is an investment holdings and trading company with offices in London, Berlin and Erbil, Kurdistan.

Also, I have seen advertisements on the real estate channel "Al-Aqariya".
Do you guys know anything about this, have you got any information? It would be nice seeing companies from all over the world in Iraqi Kurdistan, including from the Gulf
Many thanks

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
nice today even kurds call it "the gulf"....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makaveli said:
i dont know about Persian Gulf countries investing in northern Iraq or not but i do know that I wouldn't, shit it doesnt matter how stable the Kurdish part of Iraq is, at the end of the day its Iraq and theres a war.
That's totally untrue.
Not one, not ONE soldier has died in Iraqi Kurdistan since the war began, the Kurds have an own army, they are the most peaceful region probably in the whole middle-east today. And the media doesn't talk about this. Kurdistan of Iraq is about to break away from Iraq in the near future.

Please visit this site: www.theotheriraq.com

Hundreds of companies have come to Kurdistan. I can show you if you like.
Here, a Norwegian oildrilling company (DNO) found oil in Kurdistan last November:

And here is a quote of a speech by British Prime Minister Tony Blair:
Look, one of the interesting things about Kurdistan is that there, because there has been the opportunity for people to live and work in peace, that region is so much stronger. It is economically stronger, it is stronger in terms of the living standards of its people and what it shows is what Iraq itself could be like…
Prime Minister, Tony Blair
October 2005

And to my friend Shayan, I thought saying "the Gulf" was neutral, or do you want me to call it the Persian Gulf? :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
so iraq is diving into seprate states? and the kurdish people will have there own state? (sorry if i sound iggnorant) i just dont know much about politics concering iraq...and i know this isnt a political forum..but am just curious:)

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
yes i do want to call it the Persian gulf. :) And my uncle who is married to a Turkish woman has a sister who lives in Araki Kurdistan (her husband is Kurdish) and they tell me its save but the people are kinda conservative in some areas..

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
lebaneseangel said:
so iraq is diving into seprate states? and the kurdish people will have there own state? (sorry if i sound iggnorant) i just dont know much about politics concering iran...and i know this isnt a political forum..but am just curious:)
Are you talking about Iran or Iraq? :?

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
yeah but you wrote Iran in your post
quote "i just dont know much about politics conserning Iran".

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
Kurdistani said:
That's totally untrue.
Not one, not ONE soldier has died in Iraqi Kurdistan since the war began, the Kurds have an own army, they are the most peaceful region probably in the whole middle-east today
Please visit this site: www.theotheriraq.com
Not that peaceful towards Turkey though. The region is full of terrorists (PKK) killing Turkish citizens. When the time is right the Turkish military is going to do some cleaning up though.

·
Me No English
341 Posts
sorry but there is or will not be any kurdistan.........in your dreams ( Iraq, Syria, Iran, Turkey ) wont allow it so... you mean Iraq not Kurdistan

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
well afcourse there wont be something like a kurdistan but the kurds also know that. They only want a federal state ( i think thats not to much of a demand well is it?). But a separate nation will be highly unlikely. IMO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would imagine that
yes Gulf countries will seize the oppurtuinty and invest in kurdaistan iraq.

shayan wrote:
"ell afcourse there wont be something like a kurdistan but the kurds also know that. They only want a federal state ( i think thats not to much of a demand well is it?). But a separate nation will be highly unlikely. IMO."

This is off topic and I have no right to comment on this, but you never know.
Nothing is impossible.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Kurdistani said:
And to my friend Shayan, I thought saying "the Gulf" was neutral, or do you want me to call it the Persian Gulf? :)
you wanted to be "neutral"

haha come on, a bunch of random arabs just gathered round like 5 yerars ago and said lets call it the arabian gulf from now on. if you wanna be neutral on that im gonna call Iraq Iran from now on, so you gon have to be neutral and call it Mesopotamia...

deal?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lebaneseangel said:
so iraq is diving into seprate states? and the kurdish people will have there own state? (sorry if i sound iggnorant) i just dont know much about politics concering iraq...and i know this isnt a political forum..but am just curious:)
I dont know if other "Iraqis" want to seperate but the Kurds will do in a few years. It's better to have an own state.

yes i do want to call it the Persian gulf. And my uncle who is married to a Turkish woman has a sister who lives in Araki Kurdistan (her husband is Kurdish) and they tell me its save but the people are kinda conservative in some areas..
Well, maybe Rural areas, but the land is getting modernized and westernized day by day. Have you ever heard of the city of Sulaimania? An American worker called it the Utah of the Middle-East.

Not that peaceful towards Turkey though. The region is full of terrorists (PKK) killing Turkish citizens. When the time is right the Turkish military is going to do some cleaning up though.
I must admit the Kurdish area is very mountainious and rugged, it's very hard to control the borders. Turkish and Iranian authorities have a lot of problems with controlling their borders.

sorry but there is or will not be any kurdistan.........in your dreams ( Iraq, Syria, Iran, Turkey ) wont allow it so... you mean Iraq not Kurdistan
What do you mean 'not Kurdistan' ?
Kurdistan is an official federal state in Iraq, now the possibility of breaking away could be discussed.

But can we stop the politics one time? Evert thread I have posted in turned into a fight, lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts