SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Gun Quarter 2

39K views 196 replies 54 participants last post by  Itsyourbuild 
Birmingham Gun Quarter | General Thread

^^^ I hope they build on that coach and lorry car park soon.

Also I really hope that pub on the other side of the student accommodation blocks reopens soon. I'd hate to see it converted into residential. It's a very common fate for pubs nowadays and it needs to stop.

The JQ is one of the most attractive areas of Birmingham so it’s somewhere people will make the effort to visit. The GQ is nowhere near as attractive. In fact most of it looks a bit grim. Why would you negotiate 4 lanes of traffic and urine soaked subways to visit a run down area?

The JQ is cut off from the city core by the old inner ring road but it’s not as cut off as the GQ. You can cross the old inner ring road at Newhall/Great Charles Street at surface level to access the JQ. There’s no similar access for the GQ.

The GQ has the ugly A43 cutting through it. As well as being ugly it’s also noisy, difficult to cross and spews out nasty emissions. The JQ doesn’t have a similar road spoiling it.

The JQ has a tram stop. The GQ doesn’t.

The easiest way to encourage development of the GQ is to improve pedestrian access by downgrading the A38.

If the canal basin was filled in a long time ago it could well be filled with polluted/contaminated materials that would cost a lot to remove.

Also sometimes archeologists have to be employed to examine any historic objects they find down there. I think they found some lock gates when they built the new library. This is very expensive too.

The new canal basin would be privately owned but it would be connected to the canal network. The Canal & Waterways Trust would charge an annual fee for connecting to the canal network. I’ve heard this is usually a large fee.

I’d love to see it happen though.