·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One shot dead, four injured at funeral home
By Jason Riley
[email protected]
The Courier-Journal

One person was shot to death and four others injured Sunday evening when two people fired multiple gun shots into a group of people who had gathered for a wake Sunday evening outside of A.D. Porter & Sons Funeral Home at 1300 W. Chestnut St.

Louisville Metro Police Chief Robert White said two unidentified suspects confronted a group gathering for a visitation at about 7:15 p.m., when shots were fired at those outside the funeral home. The two suspects fled on foot.

One person – who has not been identified– lay dead, covered in a white sheet, just outside the door of the funeral home for several hours last night while 40 to 50 people were held inside Porter & Sons until police could question them. White described some of the people inside the funeral home as “hysterical.” The four other people shot last night had non-life threatening injuries and drove themselves to University Hospital, White said.

White, who visited the scene, called the multiple shootings and homicide a “tragedy,” and urged citizens to work with police to find the two suspects.

The killing was Louisville’s 20th homicide of the year, and the fourth in less than a week.

“We have got to get the entire community and police department to work together,” White told reporters. He said the two suspects were seen running from the scene.

Outside the funeral home, some people who had arrived to attend the wake of Frank Sherley Jr., cried or hugged others after learning of the shooting. Some, like Lillian Clayton, tried to contact those inside to find out who had been shot.

“It’s just crazy,” said Clayton, who at one point nearly broke down while being interviewed by television reporters. “This has to stop.”

Shirley, 70, died Wednesday. He was a retired employee at Cohart Refractories. The visitation was from 6-9 p.m.
Police roped off a large area around the funeral home, stopping people from going inside Lily Williams, who lives near the funeral home, said she was with her children and grandchildren at a neighrboring park when she heard several gun shots.

“I told the kids to take off running because it was too close,” she said. “You’re not safe nowhere.”
Ricky Goldsmith of Louisville said his 72-year-old mother, Anna Goldsmith of La Grange, was among the injured.

Goldsmith said his parents and other relatives were going to the visitation for her husband’s cousin when shots rang out, and his mother was shot in the leg. She’d only recently had hip replacement surgery, but Goldsmith said she is a strong woman and he was confident she would be OK. "I know she’s in the best care she can be in," he said. "We’re just praying to God that everything works out." He said later, "She’s the one who taught me to pray."

Waiting to get word in a hallway at University Hospital, he said the shooting was disturbing.

"It’s stupid," he said. "It’s pretty said that you can’t go pay your respects in the city anymore. People want to be able to sit out on their front porch and feel free to raise their children."

Early Saturday, Jesus Daniel Corona-Paredes, 22, was found in the parking lot of the Royal Garden Apartments off Third Street Road. He died of a gunshot wound to the head.

On Thursday, Earon Harper, 42, was found fatally shot in a house at 1784 Wilson Ave. Her 2-year-old daughter, Erica Hughes, also was shot and was critically injured.

And early Tuesday, Richard Lee Washington, 27, was fatally shot in the 4300 block of Tuscarora Way, in the Iroquois Homes housing complex. An arrest has been made in that case.

The shooting was not the first in Louisville near a funeral home. In June 2004, Wayne Lee Hurt, 23, was killed when shooting broke out near G.C. Williams Funeral Home, at 1935 W. Broadway, as people gathered for a wake for another shooting victim.

Anyone with any information can call 574-LMPD.
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060521/NEWS01/60521009

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
All these shootings are starting to really erk me. Is there NOTHING the city can do about it? I can't stand seeing all these lives lost.
I just saw the story about a woman shot dead and her 2 or 3 year old daughter I believe was injured too.(Erica was her name i think)
The girl was innocent. Its really just sad. I'm tired of hearing about these stories.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
As a high school teacher, I have encountered way too many young adults who think that gangs and guns are part of some kind of big game, with human lives little more than "points" to be scored. It's really sad, but the more I see the less sympathy I have for the kind of people who fire into a crowd of innocent bystanders. It's time for both local and federal governments to get serious about putting violent criminals away at an early stage of the game.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
They had a shooting, just this morning, in Baton Rouge where 5 people were killed during a church service! It was a domestic violence situation.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I-275westcoastfl said:
^Yea i heard about that didnt the guy shoot some people at an apartment complex too?
From what I gather, he took his wife to that nearby complex and killed her there. Poor lady..she had a restraining order against him. This was a real tragedy.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
getting?

-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here in Houston, our violent crime rate has DOUBLED since the hurricane. I'm all for being hospitable and charitable but when all of the New Orleans thugs decided to stay here and commit crimes that were tolerated in New Orleans, I say its time we send them back. Houston was doing just fine (actually one of the safest big cities in the country) until they came along.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
A police officer got shot several times today, in New Orleans, with a basic traffic stop. I'm sure it had to do with drugs and a Texas correlation (all drugs do). They shot the 25 year old officer several times in the abdomen but he had a protective vest on, which protected him. Unfortunately, they also shot him, at least twice, in the face and as he was going into surgery, he was alert and talking, but, word is that he had spinal fluid on his face, as well, which could indicate paralysis. I prayed for him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
A police officer got shot several times today, in New Orleans, with a basic traffic stop. I'm sure it had to do with drugs and a Texas correlation (all drugs do). They shot the 25 year old officer several times in the abdomen but he had a protective vest on, which protected him. Unfortunately, they also shot him, at least twice, in the face and as he was going into surgery, he was alert and talking, but, word is that he had spinal fluid on his face, as well, which could indicate paralysis. I prayed for him.
That is EXTREMELY sad to hear, but I don't understand why you would say that all drugs have a "Texas correlation." New Orleans has always had a significantly higher crime rate than any big city in Texas. I think its time that someone goes into New Orleans with a real backbone to tackle the crime head on. Rudy Guilliani did it in NY... it can be done. And I also want Houston to step up and jail all the thugs from New Orleans that are making our crime rate bad.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
We have our issues, but, every time it's drugs, one thing we do know in New Orleans..it came from Texas. Almost all illegal drugs come from Texas b/c they start in Mexico. The evening news is like a recording in New Orleans whenever you hear about illegal drugs, like pot, cocaine, or ecstasy...."drugs came in via Houston, via I-10, via Mexico...."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well they may travel to NO from Texas because they're from Mexico, but I can assure you that NO is the final destination for alot more drugs than Houston. Unlike NO, Houston actually has a handle on its crime problems.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There's been a couple of absolutely tragic shootings the past couple of months in Minneapolis...in one case a guy was mugged at gunpoint then shot after giving the thug his wallet, in the second case a guy was hit by a stray bullet in the main entertainment district downtown following an all-out thug brawl. In both cases the victims were nothing but upstanding citizens and the shooters were the lowest form of trash.

It makes me sick

·
Brett don't text me
135 Posts
As gangs violence continues to spring up in Minneapolis, the number of gun related homicides continue to rise. Over half of the cities homicides for 2006 has accured on the cities north side, a local church has set up a program with the police that anyone who wishes to get rid of their gun can bring it anonymously to the church and the pastor will then have a police officer come and collect the guns. Also gun related Homicides in High profile neighborhoods such as Downtown, Block E (enetertainment area of Downtown) and Uptown have caused a large concern of people who dont live in "bad" neighborhoods. Also after a double homicide at a steak house on the north side the Minneapolis police created a group called S.T.O.P. that will put more police on foot in the worst neighborhoods in the city. As violence increases, the city inches its way back to its most infamous nick name "Murderapolis" which was given to Minneapolis by the New York Times back in 1995 when the city had 96 homicides that year and had one of the highest murder rates in the country (even higher than NYC).
Also Neighboring St. Paul is getting some attention, when this spring when 26 Latin Kings were arrested in the City on suspiscion of selling of drugs and guns. Also, just last week in St. Paul a 5 year old kid got caught bringing a gun to preschool, which his teenage cousin left in his closet.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
mbgriffith1 said:
Well they may travel to NO from Texas because they're from Mexico, but I can assure you that NO is the final destination for alot more drugs than Houston. Unlike NO, Houston actually has a handle on its crime problems.
LOL in a big way. Is that why they make it THROUGH Houston and make it to NO? Come on...get real. I'll admit New Orleans crime issues and the problems we have with inner city urban issues, but, at least, admit Houston's failures with drugs and drug travel. Crime is all over. Houston is no utopia. Don't make it appear that it is...you'll only make yourself look dumb.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Eddy Gordo said:
drugs are becoming a nusiance as well. lot of drug busts going around here.
I like the recent idea Vicente Fox had, that the Bu$h Administration talked him out of. If posession of a small amount of drugs, for personal use, is not a crime, time isn't wasted on prosecuting people who want to get high.

Concentrate on the dealers, don't waste time with some kid at a frat party who has a couple ounces of pot in his drawer upstairs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts