SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you thought giant robots and monsters appearing in Tokyo were only real in movies, then you would now be wrong. A life-sized statue of a Gundam, a giant robotic warrior suit, has been built in a parkin Tokyo.

The Gundam statue is based on an extremely popular Japanese anime (cartoon) called Mobile Suit Gundam. The show, featuring large robotic warrior suits, first aired in April of 1979 and has since spawned numerous spin-offs and a franchise reportedly worth billions of Japanese yen.

A group called the Green Tokyo Gundam Project built the statue in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the franchise and in promotion of Tokyo’s bid for the 2016 Olympics

The statue itself stands about 59 feet (18 meters) tall, and is said to be a 1:1 replicate of the Gundam from the show. The statue is built with strong, weather resistant materials. Attention has been paid both to detailed accuracy of the statue, as well as its durability.

Outdoor construction of the statue started around March and is finishing up details this month (June). The official public dates of the Green Tokyo Gundam Project are from July 11th to August 31st, 2009.

The statue is located at Shiokaze Park in Daiba (also known as Odaiba) in southeast central Tokyo, near the headquarters of Fuji TV. The park can be accessed by both monorail train and bus.

·
space wanderer
1,072 Posts
Thanks for pics, you remember me we have in Spain, in Tarragona, a statue of Mazinger Z.

·
Designer, 1404designs
1,117 Posts
I would have preferred a Rick Dom, but this is rather cool. If only they could make a working beam saber......

·
status imminent
254 Posts
can that thing transform?

·
Registered
28 Posts
^^ i'd say pong pagong has more character than darna and a lot harder to engineer too :lol::lol::lol:

let's just make a video scandal for marian instead LOL!

this one i like!

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
This is just a great idea...only in Japan.

I just don't understand why this will be temporary, that's a real shame.

·
quì riposo,quì nonlavoro
4,046 Posts
this is like the childhood dream coming true, I like how it shimmers at night so realistic and how it glisten with those sinister eyes
you know this robotic statue just reminded me of Machinger , I think that how it was called, also a robot that fought evil like the other…jejejeje

1 - 15 of 15 Posts