Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Not at all a bad design, by Korean standards; we'll see how the execution is. The location, though, is fantastic, sandwiched right between Geumjeong station and the Anyang stream.

Can't help but wonder, too, if the planned terminus of GTX C at the station is helping this area.

(P.S. I really hope that, with the GTX line, some of these older stations are redesigned; a lot of them are looking quite tired.)

·
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me, the design is just average. Of course it's better than what has been built recently, but considering the slowly improving designs for yet to be built project, and the location of this project, it's just average in my opinion.

The location truly is fantastic. Right across from Subway Line 1, Line 4, and future GTX C, with the river nearby.

For your question about GTX, I do expect that most stations (except the ones with line sharing (such as Maseok, Deokjeong), or already massive stations (Seoul Station, Suwon Station, Suseo Station...) will get a significant makeover. Especially for Geumjeong, which is located in the middle of the city, already has important traffic, and is in a poor state right now.

It's safe to say that GTX good be a revolution for Seoul. Right now, all the subway trains go at pretty much the same speed in and out of Seoul. So the more you go far away from Seoul, the farther you are (time-wise) to central Seoul. Except for a couple of exceptions (Songpa IBD, historical and demographical weight of Suwon), the most important factor to housing price is distance from Seoul.

With GTX, everything will change. You'll be much closer to one of Seoul's main 3 centers (within Seoul City Wall, Yeouido, Gangnam) from near Songdo station than from nearby Gwangmyeong or some parts of Guro and Geumcheon district, or from Dongtan than Wirye. The economic gap between places with GTX Station (or with subway access to GTX Station within 15 minutes) and others will grow. There will be clear losers as well (Hanam, Namyangju, Guri, Gimpo, Ansan, Siheung, Gwangmyeong).

As for whether GTX helping the area, it will definitely be the case, once again at the expenses of places without GTX.

That being said, right now, none of the lines have started construction (excluding the southern section of GTX A which is a bit of a different case). The target for the opening of Line A is 2023, however, that leaves less than 5 years for construction, so it's more reasonable to expect 2025 opening. The other lines (B and C) have still not be fully approved, and I think we can expect them to open in maybe 8 years, if everything goes well. So at this point, it's still early for developments, especially near line B or C, where there are lots of uncertainties. A new political landscape, an economic crisis or some more operational issues could lead to some of the lines being redesigned or scrapped alltogether, so we're still in the early steps of development for these areas, with risks for real estate investors.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts