Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread shall be used for tracking tourism, recreation, entertainment and leisure related activities.

Besides memebers can use this thread as a photo thread to showcase beauty of guwahati and its surrounding areas.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
G S Road, Guwahati after a shower

source: GuwahatiCity.com

This 12km from paltan Bazar to khanapara, is the most happening place of Guwahati. This 12 km stretch is dotted by swanky malls, multiplexes, office spaces and as many as three five star hotels.

A 10km BRTS is proposed in this corridor .

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nissan 370Z sportscar launched in Guwahati

Nissan 370Z, the latest Z series sportscar from Nissan Motors has been launched in Guwahati, Assam. Successor to the 350Z, Nissan 370Z is priced at Rs 60 lacs (ex-showroom). Powered by a 3.7L DOHC V6 generating 337 PS power and 365 Nm torque which accelerates the 2 seater sportscar from 0-100 kmph in just 4.5 seconds and providing a top speed of 250 kmph (electronically limited).

Binod Nissan, the only Nissan outlet in the far east, located on NH37, unveiled the first ever 370Z in the region at their showroom. Speaking about their newest and most exciting offering, Mr Arun Kumar Agarwal, Managing Partner, Binod Nissan, said, "It is a perfect blend of styling and a timeless design. The design is very innovative and unique with a sensual organic style and mechanism reminiscent of the muscular physique of an athlete. Although it is a sports car, it is stylish enough for everyday use. It has been designed in such a way and the features are so uniquely customised that we can use it even for running daily errands."

When asked how many of these powerful sportscars they are expecting to sell this year, Mr Kumar said, "Although this concept of a complete sports car is very new to the market, by looking at the customer category we have targeted to sell at least two units of this heritage sports car this fiscal."

Power transmission is done by the new 7 speed automatic gear box with pedal shift (manual transmission option is not available in Guwahati as of now). Features include advanced braking system that brings the car to halt from 100 kmph in just 103 ft, electronic brake distribution system, ABS, airbags, and much more.

Car industry in the North Eastern states of India has grown rapidly over the last five years. According to our reader from Guwahati, Joti Mohar Das, "Now in Guwahati and other states of North East India, there is a new wave of cars seen on the roads. If we flash back 5 years, we just got Tata and Maruti on the streets and today, we have the cars like Rolls Royce Ghost, Porsche Boxster and Cayman S, Hummerr, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Nissan 370Z, Chevrolet, Volkswagen, Toyota, Mitsubishi, DC Design, Hyundai, Honda, and Ford."

http://www.rushlane.com/nissan-370z-spotscar-launched-in-guwahati-1238124.html

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
‘Awesome’ talents captivate VJ Cyrus - Auditions for India’s Got Talent have mix of opera singers to rock bands

July 10: MTV VJ and actor Cyrus Sahukar was bowled over by the “awesome” talent of the youngsters from the Northeast.

He was in the city today for the auditions of the reality show, India’s Got Talent — Season four at the Sanskriti-the Gurukul.

Cyrus will be hosting the show along with television actor Manish Paul.

“Wow, I love the fusion of traditional and modern dance forms that were performed by some very talented dancers from the Northeast. Their performances were loaded with enthusiasm and energy,” said Cyrus.

In fact, the actor’s very presence during the audition seemed to have worked as a source of inspiration for the numerous contestants who had gathered at the venue to try their luck to make an entry into the national-level reality show that will be aired on Colors in August-September.

“It was awesome to see so much of talent on one platform. We have several talented participants, ranging from an opera singer to dancers and local music bands. There are such innumerable talented performers in this country who never get any recognition simply because they never get a chance to showcase their talent. I am really glad that India’s Got Talent has provided the people with such an opportunity,” Cyrus told The Telegraph.

The actor also played a dhol and pepa and matched steps with Bihu dancers during a programme in the city today. Altogether 33 participants from the entire Northeast have been shortlisted during the audition here and they will soon head for Mumbai for their second round.

Those shortlisted during the second run will be able to finally make it to the reality show. “The people who have been shortlisted during the auditions definitely have the skill as well the scope be winners in the show,” said Cyrus.

It’s not just the participants and people who have managed to win his heart, he equally loved Assamese cuisine.

“I have a lot of friends from Assam who are now a part of the entertainment industry in Mumbai. Though this is my first visit, I had always longed to visit Guwahati because I have already tasted Assamese delicacies. Whenever my friends came to visit their families here, their parents would prepare and pack different types of Assamese food for me. The people here are also very loving,” added Cyrus with a smile. While the reality show will keep him busy, he will also shoot for his next film in the later part of the year, said the VJ.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120711/jsp/northeast/story_15714738.jsp#.T_z-wvLhfzM

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Molestation triggers investment jitters

Guwahati, July 13: At a time when Assam is desperately seeking to improve its image from being a militancy-ridden state in order to get investments, the molestation of a young girl in full public view in Guwahati does not help.

“This is a sign of degeneration of values. It reflects badly on us and has to be addressed immediately. We cannot overlook it as it concerns the image of the region,” R.S. Joshi, president of Federation of Industry and Commerce of North Eastern Region (FiNER) told this correspondent.

Joshi, who is in New Delhi, said people in the capital city were already talking about the incident.

“This kind of incident is shocking. We never used to hear about it earlier. The government should take this up seriously and do everything to restore confidence.”

Amit Jain, an entrepreneur, said the incident was sending the “wrong signals” outside the state, especially to the service sector when lots of investments were envisaged especially in the hotel sector

Assam has registered a decent growth in the services sector and the report for 2011-12 is good.

According to the latest economic survey, the services sector has grown by 9.74 per cent in 2011-12 as against 8.76 per cent in 2010-11 because of “good performance” in all the key sectors such as transport, communication, trade, hotels and restaurants, banking and insurance, real estate and business services.

Women have a sizeable presence in sectors such as hospitality, banking, BPO and communications.

The incident dents the image of the city, which harbours aspirations of becoming become a metro, especially when the serial blasts of 2008, crowd trouble during a weather-hit India-England One Day International in 2006, the Laxmi Orang stripping case in 2007 and the burning of vehicles during a KMSS strike, which went awry after police firing in 2011, remain etched in memory.

Economist Amiya Sharma, executive director of Rashtriya Gramin Vikas Nidhi, said such incidents do “hurt” the state’s image, especially when the growth of the service sector is looking up. Sharma was in Delhi today.

Anurag Singh, managing director of Assam Tourism Development Corporation, said such incidents would hurt the image of the state and the tourism sector.

International tourists are very sensitive and would like to avoid cities where such incidents take place. In fact, there are advisories issued by the government when their people travel outside.

“Tourists always look for nightlife and this incident would distract people from enjoying it,” he said.
:cripes::cripes:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120714/jsp/frontpage/story_15727447.jsp#.UAGl15ExgQg

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am really ashamed by this molestation incident. all the culprits hould be caught and put behind the bars. punish them in public and and the victim should be there to punish each one of them.This monday will be a dark day for guwahati. and we all should denounce such incidents and create public awareness on how to handle such situtations.

closing down bars and discos will not help solving such problems. it is very much required for an aspiring metro city like guwahati.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wanted: Security at bars, by cops Order to close bars at 10pm

July 13: A total of 128 bars currently operate in different parts of the city; but nowhere is the price charged for a peg of drink by these different bars determined by the excise department.

Hence, if the recent incident of a teenaged girl being molested in front of a bar is to be considered, the responsible bar owners can definitely charge their customers more for the drinks and use the money earned to provide security to people who frequent their bars at night.

Of the 128 bars, a considerable number and also many of the popular ones are present on GS Road, starting from Ulubari right up to Khanapara. These bars include bars, restaurant bars as well as pubs. Café Hendrix, Residency Resort, Hollong, Kitchen and Bar, Mainland China, Pragati Manor and Greenwood Resort are some of the popular and up-market restaurant-cum-bars on GS Road. On the other hand, Zero Mile, Mejbaan, Roxy and Club Mint on GS Road, Crystal at Zoo Road Tinali, Chandni Bar at Hatigarh Chariali and Caves on Rajgarh Road are a few of the bars frequented by many. Blues at Zoo Road Tinali, Illusion at Fancy Bazar, Kamikaze at Panbazar and Silver Streak are some of the pubs.

Apart from these, there are also several stag bars that are not frequented by women.

“The excise department is only responsible for issuing licences to bars. We do not fix any definite rates for the bars according to which they may charge a customer for a particular peg of drink. The rates charged for a drink may differ from bar to bar. Obviously a bar inside a four or five star hotels charge more than an ordinary bar. But that does not mean that they can charge an exorbitant price on a drink,” said A.K. Bayan, superintendent of excise of Kamrup (metropolitan) district.

“It is not the responsibility of bar owners to provide security to people who frequent them. But the bar tenders can definitely refuse to serve a drink to a customer who may be already drunk so as to avoid any untoward situation from arising,” said Bayan.

Although the bar owners can raise the prices of the drinks served, they hesitate as competition comes into play here.

“We can raise the prices of drinks to arrange for security, but there is huge competition among different bars here. Besides 10 of the 128 bars here also have disc jockeys and the music played here is an added attraction.
If we charge more on the drinks, we may lose out on our customers who will instead go to the other bars where drinks are served at a lesser price. The bars with DJs are the ones who employ bouncers,” said a bar owner.

The bar owner did not wish to be quoted saying, “I cannot reveal my name as the district administration is very vindictive and it makes the situation very difficult for us if we say anything in public.”

The Kamrup (metropolitan) district administration today held a meeting with the bars owners in the city and issued strict instructions that all bars must close 10pm.

Moreover, they have been directed to refrain from serving drinks to minors and if any customer arriving at a bar seems like a minor, the bar owners are to ask for his or her identity proof to verify age.

Earlier, the district administration had allowed bars with night licences to operate till 1.30am, after which the operating time was advanced to midnight. However, before the state Assembly elections last year, the district administration had issued an order, directing the bar owners to close down for the day by 10pm till the elections were over.

“Even after the Assembly elections were over, the district administration did not issue any notice stating till which time we can keep our bars open. Hence, we have no option than closing down at 10pm. At present 16 bars have night licences. We are losing business because of this,” said the bar owner.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120714/jsp/northeast/story_15726283.jsp#.UAGpVZExgQg

·
Registered
602 Posts
I am really ashamed by this molestation incident. all the culprits hould be caught and put behind the bars. punish them in public and and the victim should be there to punish each one of them.This monday will be a dark day for guwahati. and we all should denounce such incidents and create public awareness on how to handle such situtations.

closing down bars and discos will not help solving such problems. it is very much required for an aspiring metro city like guwahati.
Totally agree with you, bro! For years, I have been advocating the egalitarianess of the Assamese society and the this happens- oh the shame of it all! CAn't really describe how I'm feeling right now- the things I wanna do to those culprits...don't think I should mention in this forum:gunz:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Totally agree with you, bro! For years, I have been advocating the egalitarianess of the Assamese society and the this happens- oh the shame of it all! CAn't really describe how I'm feeling right now- the things I wanna do to those culprits...don't think I should mention in this forum:gunz:

though it is an isolated incident, i still believe that women are highly respected in assam and they have more freedom than any other parts of our country. Although this is a very condemnable incident, to add masala,our immature indian media has blown this case out of proportion. much more dirty and tragic things one can witness in our national capital. police even do not lodge compliant when NE girls and other girls are molested there.

leaving aside such incidents, assam should move forward in the path of development.

·
Registered
602 Posts
though it is an isolated incident, i still believe that women are highly respected in assam and they have more freedom than any other parts of our country. Although this is a very condemnable incident, to add masala,our immature indian media has blown this case out of proportion. much more dirty and tragic things one can witness in our national capital. police even do not lodge compliant when NE girls and other girls are molested there.

leaving aside such incidents, assam should move forward in the path of development.
We can't afford to treat this as an isolated incident as cases of moral policing are rising sharper by the day in Assam. I know we wish it was isolated but there was the Rumi Nath assault case too as well as the stripping of the adivasi girl in Beltola. What's come over our people? If you actually look up some of the sites, there were certain elements justifying the act calling the girl 'loose' and that she 'deserved' it. We need to arrest this degeneration in thinking and fast!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We can't afford to treat this as an isolated incident as cases of moral policing are rising sharper by the day in Assam. I know we wish it was isolated but there was the Rumi Nath assault case too as well as the stripping of the adivasi girl in Beltola. What's come over our people? If you actually look up some of the sites, there were certain elements justifying the act calling the girl 'loose' and that she 'deserved' it. We need to arrest this degeneration in thinking and fast!
that is the typical indian mindset. they always blame the woman victim and without any reason they question their character. Such incidents are increasing day by day in assam, and it is really a negative trend.
and i would say NEWSLIVE is a stupid channel with least responsibility. before it came to national media, i watched it on NEWSLIVE and i told my parents that how indecent they are. they went on to show the girl being stripped. pathetic. eveytime they show only news related to rape, murder, dacoity, robbery, dead bodies etc.it makes me feel sick and these news will have very bad impact on our young generation. i am 100% sure that the journalist is 100% involved in instigating those culprits. it is quite evident and this was done for getting a good TRP. but ultimately they shamed the assamese society. the assamese proverd goes wel with it "lobhei pap, papei mrityu"
i have already signed a petition for censoring such videos.

god that such things are being highlighted, but you know, in other places such incidents are much higher and those are much brutal.

i am really saddened by this incident. i still strongly believe, we have a good culture and we all should protect it and culprits should be thrown out of assam. may be to the land of talibans. let the talibans teach them a lesson.

gererally i am against capital punishment, but in this case, i will show any sympathy, if all 11 culprits were given death sentence, including the journalist.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Assam govt opens travel agency

Guwahati, Aug. 10: Assam Tourism Development Corporation Limited has decided to directly reach out to tourists by opening its own travel agency — Red River Tours and Travels — which is already taking bookings.

The travel agency is a subsidiary of Assam Tourism Development Corporation Limited and has its own travel website. It will attempt to take on private players who dominate the tourism sector.

The website will provide unique packages that are being introduced by Assam Tourism, including river cruises, tree-top stays and eco-tourism packages.

“The USP (of the agency) is that it is government owned and we are making every attempt to provide reliable and quality services. We have just started and will continue to add value and choices as we advance,” Anurag Singh, managing director of ATDCL, told The Telegraph.

The travel industry in India is growing at a rate of 15 per cent per year and the online travel business is growing at around 35 per cent per year.

“When we have our own infrastructure there is no reason not to have our own travel agency. Why should tourists give commission to other travel agents when we can have our own?” Singh said.

The corporation develops and manages tourist lodges, hotels, restaurants, guesthouses and entertainment projects. It also purchases, acquires, construct and sells infrastructure to promote tourism in the state.

Currently, the travel agency is offering international, domestic and Northeast India packages.“The agency will also act as a nodal facilitation centre for travel solutions for tourist information centres, which are proposed in all the districts of the state. It will cater to the needs of tourists and offer a wide range of facilities, such as airport taxi service, tourist taxis, airline tickets, packages and hotels,” Singh said.

“When you are in the tourism business, you must know what the tourists want and that is why the ATDCL wanted to have its own travel agency,” he added.

Ashish Phookan of Jungle Travels India, a Guwahati-based eco-tourism company welcomed ATDCL’s entry into the travel business.

“It is good for the tourism sector because there will be more tour operators, which will bring in more tourists. It all depends on the quality of services rendered, if that is good, it will be a good development,” he said.

In 2011, 43.39 lakh domestic tourists and 16,000 foreign tourists visited Assam. During 2006 to 2010, the number of domestic tourists visiting the state has risen by 5.51 per cent. “We have been getting good number of enquiries, both domestic and from overseas. Compared to other destinations, Assam is still an emerging tourism destination,” Phookan said.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/archives/archive.html

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Share on email Share on print Share on facebook Share on twitter More Sharing Services Film hope from Kerala planter

Guwahati, Aug. 10: A Malayali filmmaker has come forward to make entertaining Assamese films.

Mani C. Kappen, a tea planter and filmmaker from Kerala, told reporters today that production of his first Assamese film, Borolar Ghar (The Bachelor’s House), would start tomorrow and shooting and post-production would be completed fast so that it could be released in October. Kappen is also the director of the film.

The film will be a meeting ground for actors from Assam, Bengal and Kerala and around 40 per cent of the dialogues are in Bengali, keeping in mind the requirements of the script.

“The culture and climate of Assam and Kerala are almost similar. I have heard that the number of productions in Assam has come down to three to four a year from 60 to 70 a few years ago. We will deliver a variety of subjects in the film and I know people will enjoy it,” Kappen said.

Kappen has plantations in Meghalaya, because of which he spends some time every month in Assam. That is how he got to know of the condition of the Assamese film industry. What encouraged him was the commercial viability of entertaining Assamese films. “I have observed the commercial aspects of Assamese filmmaking. I know if a film has variety, people will enjoy it and money will flow in.”

He said he had already produced 11 Malayalam films and would now be producing at least two Assamese films a year under the banner of Okay Productions. He said Manju Borah would be directing one of his films.

“A youth from a village in Assam marries a girl from another state while working in Bengal. As his two elder brothers are still bachelors and his father has an orthodox outlook, the youth does not dare to introduce his wife to his family and instead, keeps her as a maid at his home. This is the story of the film in brief,” Prabhat Goswami, the scriptwriter, said.

Photographer Jiban Dawka and Manju Borah are respectively the associate director and adviser of the film.

The film’s cast includes Nipon Goswami, Purnima Saikia, Bishnu Khargharia, Mani C. Kappen, Sreelekha Mukherji, Utpal Das, Debasmita Banerjee, Sibnath Acharya, Biki, Lakhi Borthakur, Jyoti Bhuyan, Julen Bhuyan, Pabitra Barua, Dilip Barua, Deepa Goswami and Siddhartha Mukherjee.

“The producer is looking to develop the Assamese film industry by trying to bring something new to Assamese films. He said he would make more Assamese films, which is a good gesture,” actor Nipon Goswami said.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/archives/archive.html

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Assam bags Safari India tourism award

Post Bureau, Guwahati (Aug 25): Assam has bagged the Safari India national tourism award as the best emerging state, 2012 in the tourism sector. Director of tourism (Assam), Baldev Malakar received the award from Madan Prasad Bezbaruah, permanent representative of United Nations World Tour Organisation who chaired the PATWA international seminar on Climate Change and Sustainable Tourism and Safari India National Tourism Awards organised by Pacific Area Travel Writers Association (Patwa) in function held recently at Hotel Ashoka, Chanakyapuri in New Delhi.

The function was attended by representatives from national and international tour operators. Every year, Safari India, a premier tourism magazine gives away awards to recognise individuals, hotels, airlines and destinations. The magazine covers a wide range of topics on tourism, aviation, travel agents, hotels, travel trade conferences, wildlife and environment. It is a widely circulated magazine in the entire region of India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan and South East Asia.

Patwa is the leading travel writers’ organisation representing members from across the world. The aim of the organization is to promote professional development of travel writing communications, which will make valuable contribution in the promotion of tourism.

It aims to support the fundamental objectives and efforts for tourism and at the same time try to maintain adherence to the fundamental principles of the Unesco, United Nations and WTO. Assam is consistently trying to make a place for itself in the world tourism market. With this objective in mind, it is taking significant steps including participation in the domestic and International fairs and festivals.

http://sevensisterspost.com/assam-bags-safari-india-tourism-award/

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First travel magazine on NE

Post Bureau, Guwahati (Aug 25): Visiting Northeast will no more be a trouble for global denizens as with a dedicated team of travellers in its editorial board, Vagabond Expeditions will soon come out with The Northeast Traveler (The Northeast specialists), which will be the region’s first full feature travel magazine. It will only be available online for free.

The online magazine aims at giving proper exposure to the travel destinations of Northeast. According to the initiator: “Over the years, big national and international magazines already available in the market have failed to provide the region proper exposure despite having an immense tourism potential.”

Coowner of Vagabond Expeditions, Dhritiman Deori said: “Northeast is much more than Tawang, Cherrapunjee, Kaziranga National Park, Sikkim or Darjeeling, but be it a travelogue or any magazine in the international and national level they have concentrated only on a few places.”

Through this internet portrayal the owners hope to unveil the myth for travelers that the region is not tourist friendly. “With the online portal not only will tourism and travelling to nooks and corners of the region be encouraged but it will also promote the region as tourist-friendly and safe for everyone,” added Sandeep Chattarjee, a co-owner.

The magazine will be available at www.thenetmag.in from September 5, which will enlighten readers with ‘Travel Tips’ and ‘Travel help’ apart from various details.

http://sevensisterspost.com/first-travel-magazine-on-ne/

1 - 20 of 95 Posts