Skyscraper City Forum banner

Rate the Hstoric architecture of the premier Fort of Central India

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The fort of Gwalior,in Madhya Pradesh in India, within which a number of historic buildings are situated, stands on an isolated rock. The face is perpendicular and where the rock is naturally less precipitous it has been scarped. Its greatest length from north-east to south-west is 1.5 mile (2.4 km), and the greatest breadth 900 yd (820 m). The rock attains its maximum height of 342 ft (104 m). at the northern end. A rampart, accessible by a steep road, and farther up by huge steps cut out of the rock, surrounds the fort. The citadel stands at the north-eastern corner of the enclosure, and presents a very picturesque appearance with interesting tiles with symbolic images.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gwalior Fort aka Maan Singh Fort

swerveut said:
amazing fort!
Who was responsible for its construction and in what time period?
10/10
swerveut

It is believed to be built by Great Maan Singh I around 1516 just before the Babar's crushing defeat of Lodhi. It is written by Mughal historians in "Babarnama" that Babar was speechless in awe looking at its facade and architecture. Later on Mughal emperors Jehangir & Shah Jahan extended the palaces making it the most picturisque & the best palace of that area.

What I said may not be too historically accurate but somewhat along those lines. :)

·
I love my life
Cuyi Lastrassi
15,035 Posts
9/10- very nice ad very well preserved. are the colorful designs tile???

·
Cov Boy
4,062 Posts
Specatular!

Giving its present day condition 9/10 from looking at the pictures.

If this place was restored to the colourful tiling then it would be wonderful.

·
47,368 Posts
9/10

1 - 20 of 42 Posts