Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Bashirzilla
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was posted on the general news and updates section a few weeks back (http://tribune.com.pk/story/724849/flag-monument-park-capital-to-get-south-asias-tallest-flagpole/). They've begun clearing the jungle that divides H-8 and Islamabad Highway opposite Sheikh Zayed School and Convent School in H-8 recently. I got my hands of the photos of render courtesy of a friend in the CDA Architecture Department. You'll also find the location of the project on Google Maps below. Safe to say the project is already U/C.

Looking at the renders, It looks like the entrance will be located on the bend near the qabaristan and OPF School and will be visible from Islamabad Highway. The flagpole itself will be close to the intersection between H-8/I-8 and Islamabad Highway/Shakarparian Road.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
No idea as of yet but probably sometime soon in the next 1-2 months. Like I said, they've already begun clearing up the forest to start the construction. Shouldn't take too long.

News is that pm will open it on 14th August.

But really sad to see that they are gonna destroy another green belt for this project!!!!!!

Shame on CDA and PM NS!!!

·
12,519 Posts
The national monument is a very nice place to host this flag..but I guess politics took the better of common sense and reasoning.

The victim?...another set of green belt and trees and waste of money.

·
Registered
415 Posts
wtf is wrong with CDA and government, WTH are they after all the green belts. first Metro then the new cricket stadium being built in the middle of the jungle and now this.
freaking idiots ruining whole of Islamabad.
I think they will not destroy the whole greenery as they want to make it a park, so I assume that greenery will be there only little bit of it would be swept away for the monument construction.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I like the plan with alteration. All the green area in park should be reserved for trees with trails, while white area with star and crescent should be reserved for flag and resturants respectively. Thats just my thoughts are but someone can easily come up with better plan.

Technically speaking Pakistan Monument and Damne-ko are best location for this. If governament really wants to choose different location than it should be some other location from where it can be easily visible.

·
Registered
262 Posts
August 14 celebrations: Largest flag in South Asia to be hoisted in Islamabad

KARACHI: A 2,400-square-foot Pakistani flag - largest in South Asia - will be hoisted on a 212-foot high pole in Islamabad on the Independence Day, Express News reported on Monday.
The flag, which is 40 feet wide and 60 feet long, will be raised at D-Chowk near the Parliament House.
Prepared in Karachi, the flag was today put on display at Mazar-e-Quaid where contingents of Pakistan Navy and Pakistan Air Force paid homage to the national flag.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will hoist the flag in the federal capital to mark the beginning of August 14.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
This is badshahat at the end of the day! In a democratic system there would had been a process of consultation etc... you would hire a foreign or national firm with relevant experience etc... then you would hire an architect and only then they together pick a site and create a great design.

But here PM has dream *(in this case saw it in India) told cda to do something. There on house design department gave this proposal and obviously will be accepted because idea of pm and designed by cda.

This is the story of Kingdom of Sharif.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Even a dictator musharraf has hold a design competition for the national monument!

I tell you badshahat is even worse than dictatorship.

For example me with little experience in design field would had proposed this project in one of the loops of zero point. Which a empty and redevelopment!!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts