Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have heard talk of this but don't quite understand how it would work other than it would be a reversing s shape and think it quite confusing!?!? Can anyone clear it up for me?

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
it would effectively be as follows:
The met and H&C swap eastern termini
the circle is abolished and H&C frequency is doubled
half the H&C trains are extended from Aldgate to Edgware Road, replacing the circle line

I think there's some playing about with Wimbledon, and the District to Edgware Road as well, which complicates things.

·
Registered
580 Posts
it would effectively be as follows:
The met and H&C swap eastern termini
the circle is abolished and H&C frequency is doubled
half the H&C trains are extended from Aldgate to Edgware Road, replacing the circle line

I think there's some playing about with Wimbledon, and the District to Edgware Road as well, which complicates things.
As from December 2009 the Circle line is going to be effectively broken at Edgware Road and redirected down the H&C to Hammersmith. This has been call the "Teacup". The reason behind this development is that when a Circle line train is taken out of service it is difficult to shunt it to a service depot.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Circle line extension
From Sunday 13 December the Circle line won't just go round and round anymore. We're adding a new section - from Edgware Road to Hammersmith.

Some trains will terminate at Edgware Road so check the changes to your journey.

On this page:
The new route
Changes to your Circle line journey
Making step-free changes at Edgware Road
The new route

See a map of the new Circle line route (PDF 154KB)
Clockwise
Trains will go from Hammersmith to Edgware Road then right round the Circle back to Edgware Road, where they'll terminate.

Anti-clockwise
Trains will start at Edgware Road, complete the full circle and then carry on to Hammersmith.

Find out more about changes to the Circle line.

Changes to your Circle line journey
Top of pageTrains on the Circle line will become more reliable and evenly spaced. Other changes will depend on which part of the line you use:

Between Hammersmith and Royal Oak
More frequent services, with trains every five minutes
Travel direct to Aldgate, Tower Hill and further round
Travelling via Edgware Road
Eastbound trains from High Street Kensington will terminate at Edgware Road and you'll have to change
Westbound trains will run to Hammersmith so you'll have to change at Edgware Road to travel towards High Street Kensington or further round
Travelling to or from Paddington
All trains via King's Cross St. Pancras will run from the Hammersmith & City line station - with a more frequent service.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That's a deceiving map and job title, because the H&C keeps running exactly the way it does now. The Circle Line extension is on top of that.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
They have done the best they can, regarding not having to use the footbridge at Edgware Road.

The GOOD connections:

• The terminating Circle Line trains will pull in just across the platform from eastbound through-trains towards Baker Street.
  • People off the westbound through-trains will be just across the platform from District Line trains leaving for Wimbledon.

The BAD connections are:

• From terminating District Line trains, if you wish to go further east.
  • For people off the westbound through-trains, wanting to go on the Circle Line towards Victoria (not very many people, obviously).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Forgive my stupidity, but why's there two Paddington stations?
Because one is under the station (well under Praed St) which is the current Circle and District line station, while the other is alongside the rail platforms currently used by Hammersmith and City lines.

I'd guess it comes down to the fact the different lines used be owned by different companies so they both had stations serving Paddington.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Because one is under the station (well under Praed St) which is the current Circle and District line station, while the other is alongside the rail platforms currently used by Hammersmith and City lines.

I'd guess it comes down to the fact the different lines used be owned by different companies so they both had stations serving Paddington.
Funnily enough, this is a case where the same company (Metropolitan Railway) built both. The current Hammersmith & City platforms were the original "Terminus" of the Metropolitan Railway. I write terminus in inverted commas, because hardly any trains stopped there, they went onto the Great Western tracks to what are today mainline stations, sometimes all the way to Windsor IIRC.

The Praed Street station was completed by the Metropolitan Railway 5 years later, as part of the plan to create a "circle" line to link all the mainline Termini.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Main line passengers will be recomended to use the bridge half-way down the platforms to get Underground trains from the H&C station, which will have trains towards Baker Street "every five minutes".

·
Londinium langur
10,334 Posts
People will be confused if the Circle Line no longer runs in a circle.

·
***Alexxx***
5,275 Posts
That's a deceiving map and job title, because the H&C keeps running exactly the way it does now. The Circle Line extension is on top of that.
From what I heard the H&C is gonna go for ever (Shame, I liked the name lol) and the Metropolitan is gonna be extended from Aldgate to Barking to fill in where the H&C used to run...

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
From what I heard the H&C is gonna go for ever (Shame, I liked the name lol) and the Metropolitan is gonna be extended from Aldgate to Barking to fill in where the H&C used to run...
Where did you see that? I know it was rumoured a while back.

It would make sense - I'm sure not that many folk west of Baker St travel east of Aldgate, and if they do, it's an easy change anywhere.

It would free up pink too for the map!

But I think as part of Crossrail, West Ham is being upgraded to be a terminating option instead of Whitechapel, which is becoming two side platforms (or one big island, makes more sense for escalators/lifts) instead of two islands and thus will be through only.

Plaistow turns around plenty of trains - I guess the issue will be with the Met length S Stock trains, as the width (as at Baker St curve tunnel where two trains can't pass if one is an A Stock ) will no longer be an issue.

·
Tax avoider
24,140 Posts
From Liverpool Street to Barking, surely - there'd have to be some fancy engineering otherwise! :D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The flyers that you can now find at all the stations show this is not the case - the H&C stays as it is, although swappiing the Met and H&C terminals was talked about for a while.

·
Registered
580 Posts
London commuters in a spin as Circle Line becomes a tadpole

Fiona Hamilton, London Correspondent
1 Comment
Recommend?
London commuters on their way home after a few too many drinks have long awoken to find themselves going round in circles on the Underground. Now, in time for the office party season, the Circle Line is to be transformed into a tadpole.

In an upgrade to one of the capital’s oldest Tube lines, whose trains have previously travelled in loops, it is being extended to Hammersmith, in West London, with a tail added to the existing track. There will no longer be a through service between the west and north sides of the current Circle: accidental snoozers will be woken up to change trains at Edgware Road.

Transport for London (TfL) said that the changes would bring vast improvements. The Circle Line passes many of the capital’s landmarks, including the Tower of London and the Houses of Parliament, yet has been unreliable.

TfL said that during disruptions the line’s continuous nature had resulted in particularly severe delays: the lack of a start and a terminus meant that trains “backed up” along the track. As the District Line and Hammersmith and City Line share parts of its track, disruptions on those services also result in delays on the Circle Line.

Related Links
Extreme commuting: How far would you go?
Heathrow boss returns to London Underground
Under the new system, defective trains would be more easily removed from the line, resulting in less disruption as well as a more frequent service.

From December 13, trains will begin in Hammersmith and run along the “tadpole tail” of the track — currently the Hammersmith and City Line. They will then complete the existing Circle Line in a clockwise loop, but will discontinue at Edgware Road before returning back to Hammersmith in an anticlockwise direction.

TfL has decided to retain the name of the line, even though continuous loops will be no more.

Howard Collins, London Underground’s chief operating officer, said that the new service would “improve the reliability of the line, enabling services to recover more quickly if there is a disruption”.

While the frequency of trains in the West will be almost doubled, the changes will result in fewer Hammersmith and City Line trains because of the shared usage of the track from Hammersmith.

John Biggs, Labour London Assembly Member for the City and East, said that there would be one less train an hour — which would result in delays for commuters living in the part of the East not reached by the Circle Line.

Mr Biggs told The Times: “They are the sacrificial lambs in this otherwise good process. Commuters in the east seem to be sardines who are being squeezed harder than everyone else.”

TfL said that work was under way or planned to make services better for commuters in East London, including improvements to the Docklands Light Railway, the construction of Crossrail and the extension of the East London Line, which has been closed for its upgrade since December 2007.

Pub crawls and knit-ins that send travellers round the bend

The Circle Line, which opened in 1884, is 14 miles (22.5km) long and carries 68.5 million people per year

It was described in The Times then as “a form of mild torture which no person would undergo if he could conveniently help it”

In February, police issued an alert for a Chilean pickpocketer who had repeatedly targeted the Circle Line. Her accomplice was jailed. The pair were caught on CCTV stealing from victims at Baker Street, South Kensington, Knightsbridge, Sloane Square and Victoria stations.

The line has spawned a pub crawl. Participants must visit all 27 stops, disembark and have a drink, before continuing — all within 12 hours

When the Mayor banned alcohol on the Tube, commuters planned one last party on the Circle Line. Thousands turned up, causing havoc

It has inspired “knit-ins”, where knitting groups meet up in carriages

The first piece of track was used in 1854, between Farringdon and Paddington. It did not become the Circle Line until 1949

Sources: Transport for London; Times database

Your Comments

1 Comment

Kenneth ARMITAGE wrote:
I commuted to work and crossed London by Underground, from east to west and back in the early evening, for 8 years and because of the unreliability of the Circle Line and the fact that it crossed and interfered with other lines, various District routes and Hammersmith Line I always felt the best thing to do was to close it down making the other lines for efficient and effective. I have not changed my mind.
November 23, 2009 6:37 AM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk Recommend? (2)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts