SkyscraperCity banner

8021 - 8040 of 8961 Posts

·
11,928 Posts
^^ I drove last week on M85/M86 from Gyor to Szombathely, for the first time. What surprised me was that the section near Csorna where M85/M86 coincide, there are 3 and even 4 lanes per direction.

·
Hun Solo
6,491 Posts
Yeah, thats a little bit of an overcapacity. But who knows, maybe it will be a good alternative for M1-A4 one day, and than those four lanes will be needed badly.

What always strikes me is the other end of M85: that stupid roundabout.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What always strikes me is the other end of M85: that stupid roundabout.
Yes, very much agree with you, this is the most stupid money-saver I've seen in Hungary, where otherwise new motorways and expressways are built in a modern and clever way!

·
Hun Solo
6,491 Posts
I took a few pictures of M85's new section today morning.

Entering from Sopron:

Here is where the new section starts.

2-laned ramp from Sopron direction.

M85/M86:

M85:

M86:

From here I went all the way to M86 Csorna-North, and turned back in the opposite direction in the roundabout on road 86.

M85/M86 splitting from direction Győr. The outer lane was closed until yesterday. No "M85" markings have been painted on the road so far. From here I went to Szilsárkány exit on M86, turned back, to see also the M85/M86 ramp coming from Szombathely.

Here it is. M85 ramp coming on M86 from Szombathely.

1-lane ramps, but fortunately the fly-over is 2x2.

1-laned ramps coming from both directions. Szombathely left, Győr right.

New section of M85, now towards Sopron.

Construction works will commence here soon.

Lets go home.

I hope it wasnt too hard to follow which way I went, and which ramps I used. There is a lot of them around Csorna now. :)

·
License plate spotter
1,259 Posts
The 4 lane stretch looks badass :)

Unfortunately this road is once again not for travellers from the West to Balaton. Will there ever be a decent expressway started along that axis?

·
Hun Solo
6,491 Posts
Actually, road 83 will be widened to 2x2 in the upcoming years from Győr to Pápa. I know its not the best solution, but it will help also traffic coming from M1 heading towards Balaton a little bit.

Same for M76 between M7 and Zalagerszeg:

Of course M9 would serve this direction best.

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
I think the solution is simply that Zagreb is a "more major" destination, hence it is on the distances sign. On the other sign, Maribor is the nearest major settlement accross the border. Also, M86 will not go towards to Croatia, but to Slovenia.

My 2 cents: It should have written "Graz".

·
Hun Solo
6,491 Posts
^^Sadly, there are no plans for an M86 south of road 8.

Road 86 serves traffic volumes quite well. There are only two small villages left to be bypassed between Szombathely and Slovenia (Kálócfa, Zalabaksa).

·
uncustomized user title
706 Posts
Road 86 serves traffic volumes quite well. There are only two small villages left to be bypassed between Szombathely and Slovenia (Kálócfa, Zalabaksa).
First the the upgrade of road 86 between Szombathely and Körmend (2x2 main road with grade separations, basically an expressway according to Hungarian standards) have to be finished.

Currently in design phase (should conclude by the end of 2018)

8021 - 8040 of 8961 Posts