SkyscraperCity banner

8881 - 8900 of 9180 Posts

·
uncustomized user title
732 Posts
^^ A little correction: yellow is not tendered, but is in design phase, to be expected to be tendered in the let's say.. next 3 years.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The main issue is that the current route M43 - M5 - M0 - M1 is almost straight. It's 379 km, while a geometrically straight line between the border crossings Csanádpalota and hegyeshalom is 335 km.
transit by Attila Németh, on Flickr
The only route that would not be significantly longer than the current one would be Győr - Székesfehérvár - Dunaújváros - Kecskemét. It is now, without motorways between Győr and Kecskemét, slightliy longer (385 km). A motorway would have probably a longer route, which means no transit traffic would take it. For trucks the toll is important, the shorter route is cheaper as well.
transit2 by Attila Németh, on Flickr
However, this route would connect several Hungarian towns (Győr, Székesfehérvár, Dunaújváros, Kecskemét) and making domestic traffic betweeen e.g. Szeged and Székesfehérvár, shorter and faster than now. Using some toll tricks, i.e. making this route cheaper for transit traffic could work.
I think it's the only solution that makes a sense if the main goal is avoid Budapest (whether this goal itself makes a sense is another topic), and such a motorway made a sense even without this goal.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
^^ A little correction: yellow is not tendered, but is in design phase, to be expected to be tendered in the let's say.. next 3 years.
Sorry, I thought that you've adopted the Polish color code where yellow is tender procedure. I remember that it was adopted for a Hunguarian map but either there is another map or it has been undone.

·
50,803 Posts
Regarding the M3/M35 interchange, you can see that space has been reserved to add a U-turn ramp (some call this an 'onion interchange' due to its shape).

A nearly identical example is the A61/A66 interchange in France, this was built like this from the beginning, but it appears that it may have been originally designed as a split similar to M3/M35 in Hungary.

·
uncustomized user title
732 Posts

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Excellent news for M5

·
12,050 Posts
M5 motorway, between exits M0 and exit 44 (road 405), 21 km in total, is often quite congested. After this opening, the traffic using M5 only between these 2 exits will use M4+M0. This will bring a reduction on the traffic amount in this area. Great news!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Awesome news about M4, but what about Szolnok bypass, is it progressing well?
And is there any short term plan to build south-western bypass of Törökszentmiklós (route 46)?

·
50,803 Posts
Google Earth has satellite imagery dating back to October and November 2019 for most of the M30 route.

Progress at that time was variable, with significantly advanced sections near Encs but not so advanced south of Tornyosnémeti. One spot north of Hernádszurdok had no construction activity at all in October 2019.

·
Hun Solo
7,090 Posts
I took some pictures of M4 today. Turning left from Abony-west towards M0:

Half profile until summer 2020.

2x2 lanes from km 79.

Nice, wide lanes. Only the unpaved shoulders keep it from being a motorway.

Cegléd service area.

Still many motorists take road 405 to reach M5. Traffic was somewhat lower after this exit.

Gerje rest stop.

Big sky country.

On M0 M4 is still signed as road 4.

·
Hun Solo
7,090 Posts
Yes, there is no distinction.

Rule of the thumb: every road that has no hard shoulder and 3, 75m lane width, is an expressway.

8881 - 8900 of 9180 Posts