SkyscraperCity banner

9161 - 9180 of 9241 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nagyszalonta and Salonta Mare were the official names before and after trianon, the original names were Szalonta/Salonta. Hovewer, the present Romanian name is Salonta, this was a local decision probably, because the Mare is meaningles from Romanian narrative (Kisszalonta is not Romanian village, but Hungarian, near the border).
There are such cases of "Kis/Nagy"(Mic/Mare) villages on different sides of the border in Banat.(Gaiu Mic[Kis Gaj]RO-Veliki Gaj[Nagy Gaj]SRB) and so on!.
End OT.

·
Travelor
24,354 Posts
Btw there is still Becicherecu Mic in Romania Banat, but in Serbia the former Becicherecu Mare is called Zrenjanin (even Romanian name is Zrenianin).
Strange...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Zarko Zrenjanin was a WW2 yugo partizanleader. The Serbian also called it Veliki Bečkerek .
Interesting, Becs means Honor, Kerek is Round / Kerék is Wheel.

·
Travelor
24,354 Posts
Zarko Zrenjanin was a WW2 yugo partizanleader. The Serbian also called it Veliki Bečkerek .
Interesting, Becs means Honor, Kerek is Round / Kerék is Wheel.
Actually, in 1935 the city was renamed to Petrovgrad (Петровград) in honor of king Peter I of Serbia. It was called Petrovgrad from 1935 to 1946.
I heard there are some discussions to actually rename it back to Petrovgrad, not to Bečkerek (Бечкерек) or Veliki Bečkerek (Велики Бечкерек).

Some romanian banat people still call it "Becicherecu Mare"
I haven't met any, but I'm sure there are, just like some Hungarians still call Oradea and Salonta etc., Nagy...

·
19,535 Posts
Funding for the detailed design phase has been approved by the Government. National Infrastructure Developer (NIF) should be preparing for the tender.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Is road 13 routed via the new bridge? OSM indicates that the old road 131 bypass is 13 now and the old alignment through the town is 132 now. Any pics from the signage at the roundabout south of the town?

9161 - 9180 of 9241 Posts