SkyscraperCity banner

9221 - 9240 of 9420 Posts

·
License plate spotter
1,330 Posts
^^ Well even if no dualling of the road on the UA side happens anytime soon, that need not be an obstacle for M3 being opened all the way to the border. The two lanes may be merged into one just before the crossing - or at some distance from it, designing one of the lanes as truck waiting corridor.

On the westbound side, no issues at all, the two-lane carriageway may start right from the border station.

Reactions: Adrian.02

·
14,376 Posts
^^ Well even if no dualling of the road on the UA side happens anytime soon, that need not be an obstacle for M3 being opened all the way to the border. The two lanes may be merged into one just before the crossing - or at some distance from it, designing one of the lanes as truck waiting corridor.

On the westbound side, no issues at all, the two-lane carriageway may start right from the border station.
As I understand it the problem is not the absence of second carriageway in Ukraine. The problem is absence of any kind of road connected to the Hungarian motorway in Ukrainian territory. That means M3 would end in a maize field.

Although Ukraine is not in the best economic shape, for a country of this size it still shouldn't be a problem to build about 15 km of road in flat terrain, especially if it means getting a motorway or expressway connection with an EU country.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
But the question is:Has the Ukrainian side even started building the highway which will connect to the M3?
If not,the hungarian side's effort will be in vain.
It would not surprise me a bit if Hungary offered to build a 'bypass' of Berehove, taking the motorway 5 or 6km into the Ukraine and for 'cultural' reasons. :)

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
The problem is absence of any kind of road connected to the Hungarian motorway in Ukrainian territory. That means M3 would end in a maize field
This!

·
11,891 Posts
Not only this, also road connections further east and northeast (to the rest of Ukraine) are very poor (to say at least). At least three motorways are planned to Zakarpatskaya oblast from EU, but nothing is planned in Ukraine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, Berehove / Beregszász district is 76,1% ethnic Hungarian / 10,8% Ukrainian. Time to lobby for a bypass.

Edit: Payback is a borderchange. :trollface:
The bypass is for entering to the EU common market is very importanat. Goods from the east -including China - has to pay duty. This is the reason, why Hungary is ready to make this investments.

·
22,041 Posts
It would not surprise me a bit if Hungary offered to build a 'bypass' of Berehove, taking the motorway 5 or 6km into the Ukraine and for 'cultural' reasons. :)
Actually this has already happened, by Hungary making available 50-million-euro tied aid loan for infrastructure developments in Transcarpathia/Zakarpatska Oblast including the completion of the long abandoned bypass road of Berehove.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
Actually this has already happened, by Hungary making available 50-million-euro tied aid loan for infrastructure developments in Transcarpathia/Zakarpatska Oblast including the completion of the long abandoned bypass road of Berehove.
Ah Ha.! I was on the right track with my theory. That sorts out the big truck park first few km of road inside Ukraine so but I think that Hungary really might have to gift some/most of that €50m to the kin. :)

·
52,206 Posts
The new four lane road between Győr and Pápa.

Why is this not called an 'autóút' and numbered 'M83'?

As I understand this road has four lanes with median divider, grade-separated interchanges and a 110 km/h speed limit. Wouldn't it qualify to be an expressway with the number M83?

·
12,411 Posts
Do I see correctly that the widening of M1 to 3 lanes per direction between Budapest and Gyor is now in the stage of tendering the planning?

Also, M85 Csorna - Sopron was supposed to open in December 2020. Now I see its scheduled for the first quarter of 2021.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think this is not right. It will reach Sopron-East this year, but bypass until North is late. No cause to delay the whole highway for a bypass (which won't be full until 2024 so it doesn't matter). Settlements need it ASAP.

Currently we doing feedbacks on corrections to Elbong's map in Hun forum. M76 (first), M44 Békéscsaba, M85 Sopron-East will be useable from the end of year.

------
M8 will be inaugurated in two parts: 10 kms in april (close to border) and 20 km in august (until Körmend).

·
Hun Solo
8,261 Posts
The new four lane road between Győr and Pápa.

Why is this not called an 'autóút' and numbered 'M83'?

As I understand this road has four lanes with median divider, grade-separated interchanges and a 110 km/h speed limit. Wouldn't it qualify to be an expressway with the number M83?

Yes, it would qualify. There are two possibilities:

1, they either rename it as M83 anytime they wish
2, or it will be part of the expanding 2x2 main road network

The interesting question is as follows: does it pay off to make it a toll road, when most of the traffic assumably has a vignette anyway, because they use the motorway to get to Györ anyway?

·
Hun Solo
8,261 Posts
Do I see correctly that the widening of M1 to 3 lanes per direction between Budapest and Gyor is now in the stage of tendering the planning?

Also, M85 Csorna - Sopron was supposed to open in December 2020. Now I see its scheduled for the first quarter of 2021.
I have to quote myself:

Meanwhile at the other side of the country, it doesnt look that good. I guess Sopron bypass will not make it until the end of this year. This means only 48 kms of Csorna-Sopron/east will open.

However, this is not official, its just my guess, after seeing this today morning:

Secondary road 8518 is still on its old path, so works on a small chunk of M85 havent even started yet.

New alignment of road 8518. You can see its new bridge in the distance on the first picture.
To sum it up: Csorna-Sopron/East looks good, Sopron/East-Sopron/North, not so much. However, there is no delay announced by the officials yet for the latter section.

·
22,041 Posts
Ah Ha.! I was on the right track with my theory. That sorts out the big truck park first few km of road inside Ukraine so but I think that Hungary really might have to gift some/most of that €50m to the kin. :)
Right now its a loan offer with 0 interest rate.

·
52,206 Posts
M44 Kondoros - Békéscsaba will open in early December 2020:

9221 - 9240 of 9420 Posts