SkyscraperCity banner

9261 - 9280 of 9428 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I am aware of the fact that things are not moving on the romanian side,and I even wrote to an romanian Infrastructure NGO called Pro Infrastructura,but they blocked me on facebook so I can't contact them anymore...
We don't know what is their punctual problem with the project. Maybe the cost on their side.

·
自由至上主義&#
1,270 Posts
By now Hungary must have the densest motorway network in Central & Eastern Europe, innit?

·
Registered
11,523 Posts
By now Hungary must have the densest motorway network in Central & Eastern Europe, innit?
It is highly radial, it radiates from Budapest. A single crash on the M0 in Budapest can gridlock the whole of eastern Europe for a day. A truly dense network would have alternative routes around the M0 Budapest partial ring.

It is fair to say that Hungary has an extensive network and that Hungary has the biggest network of expressway/motorway in km per capita in CEE. Dense....nahhhhh. :)

·
Registered
11,523 Posts
France had a similar motorway network until well into the 1980s and even 1990s.
Yes but every country radiates its initial motorway network from its largest city, that is normal behaviour. Dense comes when you can avoid that big city by taking other high quality routes. :) Hungary is planning that but what it is actually building is the final edges of the radial network near Croatia Austria Ukraine etc etc.

Germany was different because it had 3 large cities widely spread (plus the Ruhr megapolis) when it was doing peak building in the 60s/70s. Radial was not an option there. Spain was also mainly radial from Madrid and it only finished the main non radial roads in the last 5 years along the coasts and the Portugese borders.

·
6,726 Posts
It is highly radial, it radiates from Budapest. A single crash on the M0 in Budapest can gridlock the whole of eastern Europe for a day.
Except it doesn't, due to the alternative routes. The southern section of M0 underwent some refurbishment recently, and while it cause some jams, Romania and Bulgaria did not starve to death. You know, road networks are not built up in a way, that you either have motorways or swamps with radioactive waste, and nothing in between (except in Lithuania maybe). :D

But more importantly, and you are not the first one to bring this up in a thread, so I will elaborate: the Hungarian motorway network is being built mostly for the needs of Hungarians, as we are the ones who mostly use it.

Yeah, half the Balkans goes through the country, when they are going home for Christmas from their blue-collar jobs in Munich. But other than those few special occasions, the overwhelming majority of cars on the network belong to Hungarians. And in the overwhelming majority of cases, we either go to or from Budapest or go to and from Lake Balaton (especially in Summer). I know, if you are just a kid drawing lines on the maps, it would look so nice to have a line between Pécs and Szeged for example. But there is barely any need for that, so it falls way, way back on our priority list. I am not saying that nobody would benefit from such routes, but their numbers are way too small. So it is among the plans, but there is no urgency.

·
6,726 Posts
I would not want to debate whether it is dense or not, as that alone is merely a number. The real question is: how many of the most frequently used routes (outside urban centers of course) have motorways?

(you have a similar thing with metro lines)

·
52,248 Posts
It has surprised me that Hungary has not built a motorway from Győr to Balaton, as it is arguably the second most important tourist asset of the country after Budapest. Even 10 or 15 years ago, driving to Balaton was somewhat of a thing for Dutch tourists. Not in the same amount as they go to Garda or France of course, but it was considered one of the top tourist destinations in Central Europe. You had Prague, Budapest and Balaton was pretty much next in line for tourism in the region.

·
License plate spotter
1,332 Posts
It is fair to say that Hungary has an extensive network and that Hungary has the biggest network of expressway/motorway in km per capita in CEE. Dense....nahhhhh. :)
It has shortcomings regarding the Balaton for sure. This Summer I heard a local heavily complaining about the lake and Budapest, the country's two main tourist areas, being connected by a single 2 + 2 (partially 2 + 3) laned motorway.
It has surprised me that Hungary has not built a motorway from Győr to Balaton, as it is arguably the second most important tourist asset of the country after Budapest.
... and that's the other point, to date there is still no expressway connection from the Western border to the lake, despite the number of tourists (including Hungarians from abroad) coming for the Summer season. Best what's in the pipeline is the Kõszeg - Körmend - Keszthely expressway, in the "planning / design" stage. :rolleyes:

Ideas for a "southern motorway" running from the Austrian border by the Balaton and then on toward the Great Plains in the south-east were up since the 1980s already.

Reactions: Autobahn-mann

·
12,420 Posts
That future "southern motorway" would release Budapest area (M0/M5/M7) from a lot of traffic. There are many cars driving from Romania/Serbia towards southern Austria/Slovenia/Italy that make the detour up to Budapest, but with a southern connection they would go straight on that one.

Same can be said if there would be a somewhat straight connection between Kecskemet and Gyor (half of it, until M7, I see is under preliminary planning now).

Reactions: Adrian.02

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
That future "southern motorway" would release Budapest area (M0/M5/M7) from a lot of traffic. There are many cars driving from Romania/Serbia towards southern Austria/Slovenia/Italy that make the detour up to Budapest, but with a southern connection they would go straight on that one.
Yes, "many" is relative. You can say 200 cars and 300 trucks a day is many, but it hardly justifies the costs of constructing and maintaining a motorway.
Usually many of them crosses Hungary the same time, so they see, the roads are full of them. But in the res of the years, in ~350 days, you can hardly see more than a hundred vehicles a day.

if there would be a somewhat straight connection between Kecskemet and Gyor
"Unfortunately" the existing M5-M0-M1 route is almost straight. The direct, straight distance between the junction oints M5×52 nearby Kecskemét and M1×82 south of Győr is 169km. The same route on motorways is 197 km, 28 km more. But building a straight motorway is impossible of course, so anything feasible would be at least 180km, 185km is more realistic.
1606579958043.png
(half of it, until M7, I see is under preliminary planning now
No. What is planned would be longer than M5-M0-M1.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
I've been using and even proffered the Gyor-Szekesfhv-62-6-Baja-Sombor route to the M1-0-5-A1 route while I was living in Slovakia.
Even crossing into Croatia and going through Batina made more sense than being stuck 2-4h at Rozske and who knows who how many hours around Budapest.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It would be nice to complete the M8 between Kecskemét and Székesfehérvar,as it would create a shorter route to Italy,Slovenia(and even Croatia),and I believe that this will lead to an increase in traffic,as the route would go entirely through an EU,Schengen country,instead of going through Serbia and Croatia.
I know that it's not a priority right now,but it would be cool to get it done until 2030.

·
自由至上主義&#
1,270 Posts
It is highly radial, it radiates from Budapest. A single crash on the M0 in Budapest can gridlock the whole of eastern Europe for a day. A truly dense network would have alternative routes around the M0 Budapest partial ring.

I meant that it must have the highest motorway density (kilometers of motorway relatively to the land surface) of Central & Eastern Europe.

That doesn’t say that it’s complete - those are two different parameters of course.

9261 - 9280 of 9428 Posts