SkyscraperCity banner

9281 - 9300 of 9388 Posts

·
51,908 Posts
Only the highway (autópálya) paved in Hungary, the motorway (autóút) not.
autópálya is best translated as 'motorway' while autóút may be best translated as 'expressway'.

Highway is a generic term for any type of (major) road, the word highway is commonly mischaracterized in Europe for being synonymous with a motorway only, while basically any főút in Hungary can be called a highway.

·
Banned
13,509 Posts
But definitely better to have these shoulders in terms of safety than not have them at all. So these type of roads in Hungary can be quickly modified to full/major autobahns.

·
12,336 Posts
That looks like crushed stone mixed with a small amount of cement. That same material is used for soft shoulders on all new roads in Austria (even along the most unimportant small road that gets fully refurbished). It resists quite well over time, although the smaller stones might get washed away with time from the top layer.

I have the same material in front of my house where I park the car and absolutely no weed can go through that thing if it is more than 10 cm thick (which I assume it is in Hungary).

·
Registered
714 Posts
Many expressways easily improvable to motorways by two steps:

• Pave the emergency lane
  • Change the signs of roadtype & speed limits.

I assume that fusions will be make of several highways into one:
M80+M76 / M86+M76
M8+M25 / M8+M81
M9+M43

M100 may not with M0. But it will be the closest to each other making a scale of 0-100 numbering in clockwise.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think thats still Croatia. There are still some remote areas in Hungary which are far from any motorway or expressway. Ózd or Barcs are such places.
+ there are large cities like Szeged (3.rd largest) and Pecs (5.th) that aren't connected to each other by a larger road, even though they are just 140km from each other by a direct air line. In this case you go for over 120km on a 1x1 road through several villages like Melykut and Baja and only then connect to the M6 highway, which also doesn't go directly to Pecs, but goes to a point 20km southeast of Pecs and then turns northwest back to the city. I guess it's a part of some sort of a future highway connecting to Croatia, which would make sense, but it's still bad if you're coming from Szeged.

Also, not road related, but the future high speed railroad between Belgrade and Budapest doesn't go through Szeged (3.rd largest) and Kecskemet (8.th largest), but parallel to them, through only Kiskunhalas (not even in top 20), which makes no sense, even though in Serbia it goes through both Subotica and Novi Sad, the two largest cities on the route.

·
Hun Solo
7,973 Posts
+ there are large cities like Szeged (3.rd largest) and Pecs (5.th) that aren't connected to each other by a larger road, even though they are just 140km from each other by a direct air line. In this case you go for over 120km on a 1x1 road through several villages like Melykut and Baja and only then connect to the M6 highway, which also doesn't go directly to Pecs, but goes to a point 20km southeast of Pecs and then turns northwest back to the city. I guess it's a part of some sort of a future highway connecting to Croatia, which would make sense, but it's still bad if you're coming from Szeged.
Road 55 is in pretty good condition. It doesnt cross that many villages either. However, I agree that an alternative far away from Budapest should be built finally. I am all for M8. Almost all county capitols would benefit from this motorway. Even Szeged and Pécs.

Also, not road related, but the future high speed railroad between Belgrade and Budapest doesn't go through Szeged (3.rd largest) and Kecskemet (8.th largest), but parallel to them, through only Kiskunhalas (not even in top 20), which makes no sense, even though in Serbia it goes through both Subotica and Novi Sad, the two largest cities on the route.
Yeah, I hate that project. I dont really care about the finances and who builts it for what political reason, but leaving out Kecskemét and Szeged from its path is a sin!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think that Szeged lacks a good connection to the South-West of the country because it's located right in a border area,and sometimes,there's just no room for a new connection,although I hope some improvements will be done,as such a motorway/expressway will shorten the road for many romanians going to Italy/Slovenia&Southern Austria.

·
Hun Solo
7,973 Posts
M44 Kondoros-Békéscsaba will open latest until Dec 18 (17,6 kms)

Dec 11 it will be.

After that, M44 is mostly completed east of the river Tisza. Only some crucial interchanges will be missing. Hopefully they will add them in the upcoming years...

·
Hun Solo
7,973 Posts
Am I wrong, or does this road have the potential to become the shortest route to Bucharest one day? If I am not mistaken the distance via Gyula will be around 740-750 kms from M5/M44.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Am I wrong, or does this road have the potential to become the shortest route to Bucharest one day? If I am not mistaken the distance via Gyula will be around 740-750 kms from M5/M44.
It could be true,but if you take the shortest route(in kms) from Gyula to Bucharest,you would have to go on the national Road until Deva,and only then enter the motorway on romanian soil.
I still think that the M43/A1 will remain the largest and most used motorway connection.

9281 - 9300 of 9388 Posts