SkyscraperCity Forum banner
9721 - 9740 of 9955 Posts

· qwerty
537 Posts
I would be really happy if Lithuania would move to this font, and add coat of arms in the middle.
I just hate that FE-Schrift and wish that Lithuania will retain contemporary old style German font, used here for 30 years.

· Naudotojas
arba Vartotojas
5,983 Posts
I just hate that FE-Schrift and wish that Lithuania will retain contemporary old style German font, used here for 30 years.
I don't like font of Lithuanian and Latvian number plates, letters and numbers are just too thick. If they were at least thinner, like Estonian or Czech number plates, I would not mind that much.

For some reason, I have always liked FE-Schrift, and didn't changed opinion since :D It would be awful font on directional signage, but it looks fine to me for vehicles. Symbols look orderly to me, but it's hard to read those symbols from a far, since you should not read private plates in the first place, unless is necessary.

· Hun Solo
26,906 Posts
After 8,5 years of constructing, 27 km long M4 section of Abony-Törökszentmiklós will open today -including a new bridge over Tisza.

· Registered
313 Posts
After 8,5 years of constructing, 27 km long M4 section of Abony-Törökszentmiklós will open today -including a new bridge over Tisza.

Interchange Törökszentmiklós-west looks a bit complicated. Are there any plans to build a bypass of the city (road 46) and maybe demolish the old 4-46 interchange?

35,786 Posts

· License plate spotter
1,891 Posts
The title of this report about the in-progress M76 states it will be built as "smart road", however in the content I could not find a hint to what would constitute its "smartness".

The article otherwise mentions a triple goal visioned by a large-scale governmental road building program launched in 2016. These would be
  • access to a motorway within 30 minutes from any point in the country
  • extension of motorways to the borders
  • fast-road connection of all cities with county rights - here, only Kaposvár, Békéscsaba and Zalaegerszeg are still waiting; M76 will serve the last. "Fast roads" include motorways and motor traffic ways (autóút, typically 2 x 2).
A 10 km stretch of in-progress M76 is later due to also serve as a testing track for the automotive industry. This section will be entirely closeable, enabling for high-speed vehicle testing among others.

· License plate spotter
1,891 Posts
^^ Valid question - this is what the article states
[...] az utolsó 32,2 kilométer hosszú szakasz Kecskemétig, az 5-ös számú főútig tart, ahol egy turbó körforgalom biztosítja majd a csatlakozást az M5-ös autópályával, a Kecskemét-Észak csomóponton keresztül.
"The last stretch of 32.2 km will extend to Kecskemét, Main Road 5, where a turbo roundabout will cater for its connection with the M5 motorway, through the junction Kecskemét-North."

Whatever this is exactly to mean - looks like no transfer between M5 and M44 without entering a roundabout (at least not for all travel directions), which is somewhat annoying. However, this practice is already present e.g. at the M7 - M76 or M1 - M85 connections. Building proper direct junctions would likely require a full closure of the existing motorways at those points. Still trust it is on some future agenda.

Reactions: The Wild Boy

16,046 Posts
Maybe the freeflow interchange between M5 and M44 will be made with the next extention of M44 (M8?) towards west (Dunaujvaros)?

· Registered
7,139 Posts
So it won't connect directly to M5??
No.

Actually, it's a typical problem in Hungary (and in some other natons as well). Especially South Eastern Hungary is very sparsely populated. An area as large as the Netherlands has a population of less than 3 millions, economy activity, too, is low. Motorways, or anything what is not a "2 lane through ribbon like settlements" road are not needed because of capacity, but because it is not acceptable nowadays having to drive more than 100 km on such roads.
National road 44 has a 4 digit AADT all the way, apart from the first section around Kecskemét. And since the expressway M44 has an alignment that disfavors using it for commuting and keeps off from all the important destinations in and around Kecskemét, and in the future it will be tolled, I expect an AADT of 6-8,000 in the following years - or even less. And such an easy traffic hardly justifies constructing a fully grade separated motorway junction. It could be the by far most expensive object of the expressway.
So the politicians can say: OK, we build a roundabout instead, and of the money saved by that we construct 20-30 kms of expressway somewhere, that is much more useful. Such a decision may be annoying, but quite reasonable.

· Registered
23,284 Posts
So the politicians can say: OK, we build a roundabout instead, and of the money saved by that we construct 20-30 kms of expressway somewhere, that is much more useful. Such a decision may be annoying, but quite reasonable.
And a roundabout can handle around 15-20k AADT traffic if spread between all the entrances. It is only when you exceed that number that you get congestion and tailbacks.

If the M8 is ever built, with a proper junction with the M5, would the M44 not join the M8 maybe 10km east of the M5 on a new alignment anyway??? Around Nagykoros?

· Registered
2,547 Posts
I don't understand why they build junctions between most congested roads in region. I would understand if they built 2+2 road with at-grade intersections with low congested local roads and interchanges with highways (this style roads are popular on low-congested roads in USA or Canada) but they do something opposite.

16,046 Posts
Because they want to have a grade separated road from beginning till the end. The end bits can be non-grade separated though.

Reactions: Adrian.02
9721 - 9740 of 9955 Posts