Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ha Long Bay, Beautiful Scenery.

Ha long Bay is a body of water of approximately 1,500 square kilometres in north Vietnam with a 120 kilometre coastline, in the Gulf of Tonkin . "Vịnh Hạ Long" — Halong Bay — means "Bay of the Descending Dragon" in the Vietnamese language. Hạ means "descending" and Long means "dragon" in Sino-Vietnamese.

The bay consists of a dense cluster of 1,969 limestone monolithic islands, each topped with thick jungle vegetation, which rise spectacularly from the ocean. Several of the islands are hollow, with enormous caves. Hang Đầu Gỗ (Wooden stakes Cave) is the largest grotto in the Halong area. There are two bigger islands, Tuan Chau and Cat Ba, that have permanent inhabitants. Both of them have tourist facilities, including hotels and beaches. There are a number of wonderful beaches on the smaller islands.
http://www.wikimapia.org/#y=20930338&x=107057648&z=12&l=0&m=a&v=1

·
415 Posts
I don't know... I think it's one of those places that look better in pics. I was very disappointed but then again mamybe it's just me and I had set my expectations too high.
I really loved Hanoi though.

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
it;s very famous in china. i'd like to take a trip to 下龙湾one day.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The bay was World Heritage listed by UNESCO at the 18th meeting of the Committee of the World Heritages of UNESCO (in Thailand on December 17th, 1994). It is one of Vietnam's most popular tourist destinations

Some of the islands support floating villages of fishermen, who ply the shallow waters for 200 species of fish and 450 different kinds of mollusks. Many of the islands have acquired their names as a result of interpretation of their unusual shapes: such names include Voi Islet (elephant), Ga Choi Islet (fighting ****), and Mai Nha Islet (roof). 989 of the islands have been given names. Birds and animals including bantams, antelopes, monkeys, and iguanas also live on some of the islands.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Very nice

The 1997 James Bond - Tomorrow Never Dies was supposed to shoot its scenes in this bay - yet due to gvt restriction - they shot it in Pha Nga bay (Phuket)

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After five hours on a hellish road (which is slowly being repaved), you will be rewarded with some of the most spectacular and memorable sightseeing of your trip. Hire a boat in Halong City or Hong Gai to take you as far from shore as possible, and simply meander among the islands, fjords and inlets. There is plenty to explore in the 4000 square kilometer body of water, and it is easy to find peaceful places to swim, fish, or just relax without seeing another soul, yet surrounded by majestic scenery.
Despite what geologists may claim, the bay was actually created when an immense dragon plunged to Earth here before recorded history. Its mighty tail carved the great stone seabed violently before the creature flew away to the place where legends are born. This fable does not seem so far fetched as you sail among thousands of limestone outcroppings, which look like so many blades thrust deep into the mist from below the sea. Many are barren, weathered and rocky. Others are cloaked in vegetation so dense that it is impossible to see the stone beneath. At dusk, they all take on mysterious shades of gray, mauve and olive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts