Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the huge rise in income prejudice in the last few years (not specific to Leeds, but anyway). Judging people by how much money they have or haven't got is one of the few real isms we have yet to invent. Sexism, racism, religion(erm)ism... etc are totally unacceptable but income derision is not, hence people spending more and more time discussing people's financial situations.

I was in HCUK (god knows why, I didn't book an appointment I just walked in when I felt my hair getting too long) recently and found myself getting a haircut from the manager. Once I told him I worked in an architect's office I was met with immediate prejudice 'oooh get you... you wouldn't normally come a place like this' etc. I'm on just over minimum wage(!) earning surely far less than he is. The atmosphere in the hairdressers was that I should be ashamed of how 'well' I was doing, which felt ridiculous. Awful haircut by the way, I absolutely wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The notion that architects are loaded is inherently flawed also... one of the architects I work with earns less than his wife, who teaches in a primary school, plus the extra years of university fees he has to pay back.

Anyway, I think that a job centre in a thriving business area has to be a good idea. I remember in school, teachers used to put the 'naughty' pupils on a table of bright pupils and they were no longer naughty because there was nobody else to be 'naughty' with. That's perhaps a poor analogy but surely seeing people working, people dressed smartly, people with disposable income wasting it at Starbucks etc should be encouraged for the **** ups of Leeds who have no life dreams other than to cause trouble to increase their egos. My mate's dad owns a metal workshop and he was telling me about how he took on a young lad who really is a **** up... young offenders institute, heroin, spits at his mum etc but he's bloody good with metalwork, and has never caused any trouble because the people he works with are focused, reliable, 'well oiled machines'. I think the job centre needs to be more open... architecturally, it needs to be a smart building that people like that will want to respect well. It suffers at the moment from an 'end of town' feel. Little money or care has been spent on it and it is being treated as such by people who are experts in how to treat things poorly; most of all themselves.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I've noticed the huge rise in income prejudice in the last few years (not specific to Leeds, but anyway). Judging people by how much money they have or haven't got is one of the few real isms we have yet to invent. Sexism, racism, religion(erm)ism... etc are totally unacceptable but income derision is not, hence people spending more and more time discussing people's financial situations.

I was in HCUK (god knows why, I didn't book an appointment I just walked in when I felt my hair getting too long) recently and found myself getting a haircut from the manager. Once I told him I worked in an architect's office I was met with immediate prejudice 'oooh get you... you wouldn't normally come a place like this' etc. I'm on just over minimum wage(!) earning surely far less than he is. The atmosphere in the hairdressers was that I should be ashamed of how 'well' I was doing, which felt ridiculous.
Was it the HCUK in the St John's Centre? The manager there is known for being really witty and funny in a stereotypically waspishly gay manner, but he can come across as quite defensive on occasion. HCUK is an odd place. Is it ok for guys to go in there? It does men's haircuts and offers a budget Toni & Guy experience but they make it feel like a ladies only hairdressers.

I like the idea that people in different circumstances can use the same public spaces but ownership of public space becomes a source of tension in an unequal society. Some people can respond aggressively in spaces where lifestyles or material possessions are vastly different to those they can hope to acquire or experience, because they can contribute to a feeling of inferiority among people who are excluded. You see this when groups of lads swing their arms out as they swagger up or down Briggate like apes trying to mark out a territory, they look challengingly from side to side as they do it. There's a social insecurity behind their bravado because they know they are in an affluent downtown setting.

And I'll ignore the Starbucks remark you cheeky beggar.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I always used to go to salons but I've recently found myself going to good old fashioned barbers. I was apprehensive at first, especially when they started cutting my hair without washing it first (shock horror) but it turns out if you're simply looking for a simple, classic cut then you'll get a haircut twice as fast (because let's face it, nobody likes having to strike up a long, boring, repetitive conversation with a hairdressers) and for half the price. You've just got to be firm - I don't want those clippers anywhere near my head; don't cut it all off; don't shave patterns in the side... etc etc. *Tongue in cheek*.

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HCUK is an odd place. Is it ok for guys to go in there?

And I'll ignore the Starbucks remark you cheeky beggar.
:D Sorry but I hate to see people spending more money on coffees they don't need than lunch that they do.

HCUK - It's okay as a last resort. I started going to Element near the train station... a very attractive girl with the lowest cut top legally possible was bending over in front of me shampooing my hair which was brilliant; but when I went last time it was an insecure gay 16 year old boy who couldn't control the shower temperature and didn't say anything. The free drink is cool, it's nice to have wine/beer when having a haircut. I went there originally because a) convenience, b) online coupon and c) I had ran out of shampoo

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I went to the barbers opposite Coney Street Starbucks in York recently. As soon as I stepped in the place I thought 'get the hell out of here', but it turned out to be a good haircut. Trouble was, the guy charged me £15 for it. For a Barber's cut?!! Get outta here.

As for Starbucks, I only drink their teas, and I also save a lot of money in there through a series of dodges. Ha, ha, ha.

·
Registered
316 Posts
:D Sorry but I hate to see people spending more money on coffees they don't need than lunch that they do.

HCUK - It's okay as a last resort. I started going to Element near the train station... a very attractive girl with the lowest cut top legally possible was bending over in front of me shampooing my hair which was brilliant;
As good as a reason as any for getting a haircut! I might give it a go. The place where I go I am seen to by a very chesty girl. She's pretty good with the scissors too!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
...... I started going to Element near the train station.....
I have my hair cut there and I've started getting a coffee from Laynes next door before submitting to the shears. I used to get one from Caffe Nero on Boar Lane and carry it up with me. No more, though, as Laynes make lovely coffee and, if I get there early enough, I'll have the coffee on the premises. That way I can pig out on a slice of cake as well. Much better for you than the bloody head massage they try to give you at the salon after your hair's been washed :)

·
ßANNED
4,233 Posts
I still go to the barbers near Hyde Park Corner, close to the old petrol station - been going there ever since I started at uni in '04. £7 a haircut, good banter and the occasional free beer!

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
My mate (reformed ex service crew) runs that barbers near Hyde Park corner, ive been a regular there 15 years.. £7 beat that! Yeah free beer and good banter, warning (it gets 'close to the knuckle' sometimes though!)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Worst haircut I've had in Leeds was at the barbers on New York Street (2005). They gave me a chav buzz cut! which is quite funny looking back, but it wasn't at the time.

Ego near Kirkgate looks exceedingly pretentious.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
tried that barbers on new york st once, same result as yours.. had to wear a hat for a week or so!
btw the occasional free beers at hyde park are only those small bottles!

·
ßANNED
4,233 Posts
My mate (reformed ex service crew) runs that barbers near Hyde Park corner, ive been a regular there 15 years.. £7 beat that! Yeah free beer and good banter, warning (it gets 'close to the knuckle' sometimes though!)
Haha, yeah it's not a place to go for the easily offended, but I quite enjoy it - the owner's a good sort really. Note the large piece of wood hanging over the back of one of the chairs which is his 'insurance policy' in case anybody from Woodhouse decides to pop in to rob the till!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts