SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haligonian :)
I like to know the history behind it, does anyone know why people of Halifax are known as Haligonians?
If you know the story or you know of a book that I could look into please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I dont know if there is a reason. It was probably someone who tried to refer to someone from Halifax and 'Haligonian' is what came out.

I'd be more interested if there was a story for the name 'Dartmouthian'?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There must be a reason/story/history... why didn't Halifaxian come out I wonder !
off to department of history, hello Dal ... :runaway:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read lot of articles back to 17 and 18 centuries but couldn't find anything whatsoever on this regard. :bash:
Glaswegian, Liverpudlian , at least it is somewhat clear what city we are talking about, but Haligonian ! hmmmmmmmm
the only thing might be that Halifax used to be called Haligon !? I don't think so...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Are people from Halifax, UK called Haligonians?

·
Canadian
779 Posts
I think it's just a matter of what sounds best, it could have been "Halifonians", "Halifaxers", "Halifaxians". It sounds possibly better than "Vancouverite", which could be a building material-LOL. What are people in other Canadian cities called, like Regina, Kamloops, Thunder Bay, Ottawa?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in Timmins, and we're all Timminsians. Very hard to say, I know.

RHF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts