Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
10th February 2008
61,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't have it's own thread. Think?

Click on the link for the rest of the article.

MEN.

Work starts on £4.3m extension of Hallé St Peter’s

Located at the heart of Ancoats, Hallé St Peter’s will undergo a significant transformation over the next 15 months.

The ambitious £4.3m extension to Hallé St Peter’s in Ancoats is underway.

The project began with a groundbreaking ceremony when Michael Oglesby and Stewart Grimshaw signalled the beginning of work on the project which should be completed by autumn 2019.

Located at the heart of Ancoats, Hallé St Peter’s will undergo a significant transformation over the next 15 months.

A new three-storey extension, to be known as The Oglesby Centre, will provide a brand new façade to the building, which will front onto Cutting Room Square.

The new building will provide a much more welcoming approach and additional facilities including a café and kitchen, large new rehearsal space, education workshop facilities, individual practice spaces, and improved facilities for the Hallé’s musicians and choirs.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/halle-st-peters-ancoats-extension-14745668

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I look at the model and how close the extension is to the old church building. Is that wonderful circular window and that wall being knocked down as part of the plan?
No however, they didn't have the decency to nudge the building at the back down a little away from the Rose Window.

Planning app here

113569/FO/2016 | Erection of basement, ground, first and part second floor extension to form rehearsal and practice facilities and archive (Class D2) together with ground floor cafe (Class A3) | Halle St Peters 40 Blossom Street Manchester M4 6BF

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I like the look of the building but the placement is horrific. It’s the central church and focal point to ancoats which is currently openings up onto a square and they’re going to box it in. I don’t know if cutting room square always was a square but on one side of the city you’ve got chetham’s library being opened up to broader vistas and here they are covering it up.

Just because it’s a car park at the moment, I can’t believe they’re not incorporating it into the square.

The extension will block the light out of the rose window too, which will have a internal impact to the church.

Remember when ancoats was on the tentative list for a world heritage site? until they took it off due, no doubt, to all new developments detracting from the heritage assets.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
My favourite was FCB followed by Flanagan Lawrence

For those interested, these were the entries:
https://twitter.com/RIBAComps/status/704236972768886784

Flanagan Lawrence

Caruso St John Architects

Jamie Fobert Architects

Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios

Some interior images of the winning Stephenson Studio design

http://www.stephenson-studio.com/architecture/cultural-theatre/halle-st-peters/

http://afasiaarchzine.com/2016/02/c...io-extension-to-halle-st-peters-manchester-2/

My favourite is Feilden Clegg Bradley's design and I'm really quite beguiled by the simple Romanesque arcade. This is closely followed by Jamie Fobert's entry, which unashamedly makes no attempt to hide the front of the church. A couple of missed opportunities, I think.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Talking fantasy here, but could they not have come to some arrangement about building the 'extension' beneath the square, with some kind of quirky entrance pod at the far end taking visitors down below, and stylised light tunnels rising up through the redesigned square, with that loss of space mitigated by expanding onto the vacant plot?

Think St Martin-in-the-Fields off Trafalgar Square.

Wouldn't have been cheap but could have been pretty world class IMO.

·
Registered
400 Posts
on one side of the city you’ve got chetham’s library being opened up to broader vistas and here they are covering it up.
A better comparison might be with St. Marys The hidden gem where the redevelopment of brazzenose house is supposed to be opening up new views of the church building. -> vs here they are covering up the church's facade here completely with a square box.

:bash:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The more I look at it, the more I think it will completely destroy the area. Especially considering the other competition entries showed how a sympathetic design could work with the building/square. This is a big loss. Hope it proves me wrong, as it's going ahead.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts