Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
18,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think 14, the ceiling heights were too low in the original so theyve increased the floor to floor height in this but kept it the same overall height, basically meaning you lose a floor

·
E = MC²
5,562 Posts
If I remember correctly in the old building the walls were very thin too and the original proposal showed the new building as slightly wider which enabled the walls to be thicker and with a modern standard of insulation.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
It's amazing to think a tall proposal outside of the city centre would have a chance of being approved these days, but I think that's testament to it's former iconic place on the SW skylines. Even though it's been gone for months, it still holds a place in the memory enough to mean it won't look out of place.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah just went past today, its basically the stilts-like bit with a slab on top and then loads of rubble on top of that. There might have been some negotiations which basically said that in order to build a similar height tower they would have to use some of the pre-existing structure maybe.

·
18,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah just went past today, its basically the stilts-like bit with a slab on top and then loads of rubble on top of that. There might have been some negotiations which basically said that in order to build a similar height tower they would have to use some of the pre-existing structure maybe.
That's exactly right

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Unless we're getting a tower of equal or better merit than the original then this shouldn't be allowed imo. This looks like a generic development better suited to the city centre.
Serious question, what qualifies as a tower? How many floors high, before you can call a building a tower, or is it all in the eyes of the beholder?
Does the industry, architects, engineers en all, have a floor count that once passed the building becomes a tower?

·
Who'd sit in THAT chair..
1,137 Posts
^^ Probably the design more than the height or the floor count. Some ancient church towers are probably no more than three or four storeys high. Conversely HSBC's old office is undoubtedly more of a block than a tower. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts