1141 - 1160 of 1685 Posts

·
كعبه الم
2,828 Posts
HHH !? So they are getting rid of DOH ?

·
Smile :)
2,148 Posts
It is actually HIA, I think weld aldafna can confirm it. since both Airports will operate simultaneously, DOH will be for the old Airport and HIA for the new.

The old Airport site should be developed in similar way to Lusial and Musheirb, taking the positive ideas from the two projects. the infrastructure should be as intense and advanced as these projects but have the private sector invest in the real states and the commercial sector instead of one corporation that owns everything.

the area desperately needs a mall, the only one there is The Mall, which is useless and very small, LULU is just a hypermarket.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It is actually HIA, I think weld aldafna can confirm it. since both Airports will operate simultaneously, DOH will be for the old Airport and HIA for the new.

The old Airport site should be developed in similar way to Lusial and Musheirb, taking the positive ideas from the two projects. the infrastructure should be as intense and advanced as these projects but have the private sector invest in the real states and the commercial sector instead of one corporation that owns everything.

the area desperately needs a mall, the only one there is The Mall, which is useless and very small, LULU is just a hypermarket.
I say we don't raise our expectations, This could be just another residential area.
After the new plans for a second terminal, there will be no Sahan city, Or maybe Qatari Diar won't even build anything in this area.
What i see in the renders is just a weird massive landscaping.

·
Smile :)
2,148 Posts
I say we don't raise our expectations, This could be just another residential area.
After the new plans for a second terminal, there will be no Sahan city, Or maybe Qatari Diar won't even build anything in this area.
What i see in the renders is just a weird massive landscaping.
you are actually right, I forgot about the latest image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
889 Posts

It is indeed . . according to ORAT.

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts

HIA is Huai'an Lianshui Airport Huai'an, Jiangsu, China. loool did my research.
HHH is Hilton Head Airport (FAA: HXD) Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States

I wonder what the code might be!

·
A Deep Miracle
1,245 Posts
Amazing!

What a marvelous global transportation hub is this!!

·
كعبه الم
2,828 Posts
DOH seems like a good option -__-

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
they are opening the airport for Qataris on 25,27 Feb and 4 Mar to try it

i want to go but its all week days and its at 7:30 am :( at work unless if you guys any of you want to company me as i dont wanna go alone ;)

more info to apply [email protected]

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
Hey Guys,

Today I went to the new airport as a trial passenger—and man was I impressed. The airport, although still has areas that need to be finished, is HUGE. The road that leads to the airport does not still have street lights. The lights will be hand engraved with Arabic calligraphy! Imagine 100+ lights being personally engraved! WOW!

When I first came towards the terminal, I notice the roads are wide and easy to navigate; and I easily found my way to the parking area, which reminded me of Mall of Emirates parking area, where there are separate roads leading to each level of the parking structure.

Once you park your car, you enter the long parking structure, which has the Car Rental shops, atm machines. This area is by itself bigger than the current Doha Airport. It also has entrance for the Mosque structure and other things.

As trial passengers, we were briefed about safety here and given helmets and jackets. We were given "A" the Scarlett Letter, lol which means Arriving though.
Since we were Arrival passengers, first we entered the arrival area—which is the lower level of the Main Terminal. Lined with Palm Trees, this area is huge, airy, lots of natural light, and inviting. There is an Oryx lounge under construction (nothing has been started in that lounge). There are also currently no chairs installed anywhere.

We entered though the staff entrance to the baggage claim area, which have a wavy roof, and very spaced out baggage conveyor belts. After that we went backwards towards passport control area which is surprising NOT a large area. The ceiling is very low, but it does the job. I think it needs to be expanded in the future sometime. It is very wide but not very spacious like Dubai's Terminal 1 arrivals which is amazing to my opinion.

After pretending to go through passport control, we went up to the Departure area via a travellator (Carrefour-like escalator). The first thing everyone said was WOW, and boy we were right. The area is HUGE and the architecture is AMAZING! The wavy roof makes the whole thing AMAZING. There were several "islands" which had the check-in counters. The counters are made from back-lit marble. There were 11 counters per side of the Island, so 22 desks per Island.

After that we proceeded ahead to passport control. The area had plenty of desks and very spacious. We were then greeted by the Main Terminal. In real life it looks much bigger than the pictures. The huge CDE sign is the first thing we see as well as two LCD screens to the right and left. There are also A and B signs to signal passenger to where the Concourses area. After passport control, we have to go down the escalators towards the terminal gates.

April 1st will see just Terminal B open with 10 gates. From the pics it looks very short to navigate. However, it is HUGE. It seems endless to walk towards the end. You pass through the Duty Free area as you walk towards the gates. However, the duty free area has not been TOUCHED. NOTHING has been made in that area!
All of the gates holding rooms hold wide body planes with two entrances—one for First and Business, and the other for Economy passengers. Each gate has a large jet bridge entrance with scenic elevators, escalators, and staircase. Arrivals passengers would go up, while departing passengers would just use the same level.

After using our boarding pass to go "to Karachi" we went back to the Main Terminal and outside to the main check-in area and to the parking building ending our trial.

Overall thoughts:

I expected the size of the terminal to be smaller, but it was HUGE, much larger than Heathrow's Terminal 5. It is easy to navigate.

Personally, they SHOULD work VERY hard to open by April 1. There are no Duty Free shops close to opening. They didn’t even start interior works. I heard there is an Applebees and Crepaways as well other restaurants that will be built in the furture. I do not get why they didn’t start the Duty Free shops. Is the UAE-Italian company responsible for them as well? If so, then yes, they have a right to sue them. However, there are several patches in the ceiling of the terminals where they need to install cladding on as well the passport control minor works there. The Main Terminal is empty and should be filled with perhaps shopping stands, or café's instead of having it empty. Otherwise, the airport I think is an AMAZING masterpiece and joins the ranks of the other major aviation hubs. Cant wait for it to open.

Expect another 1 month delay. Don’t say HALAWALA didn’t say so.

Here are some pics in no particular order. :) Enjoy

·
كعبه الم
2,828 Posts

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
Absolutely beautiful airport!
Thanks

Great update Halawala! :)

Thanks halawala for reporting and i'm glad you liked it. I think only concourse B is opening March 1st and all of the flights are actually cheap flights, I don't think they plan to open everything for them.

is this the right order ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thanks Salman; yes, its the right order. They are actually building permanent-looking glass-barracades inside the terminal so you won't be able to go to the construction areas.

Check out the presentation at the bottom of the link, includes several facilities.

So apparently both terminals will have their own rail/metro stations....

http://dohanews.co/post/41191423875/10-things-to-know-about-qatars-upcoming-hamad#at_pco=cfd-1.0
Dohanews took my post and made it into their own blog. Did you see it?

·
كعبه الم
2,828 Posts

The Next Phases:

1141 - 1160 of 1685 Posts